Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

• Contract

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Prepaid

Votes: 119 67.6%

• Total voters

newklear

I prefer buying Prepaid because #1 Cost (i.e bought a Mobicel Rebel, installed custom ROM, without bloat and only apps I use installed for under R400), #2 I have more control of my data/airtime used without any adware.

Overall, was negating the feeling of throwing money down the drain!

saor

Honorary Master
Prepaid mostly because I don't like the idea of being tied into something for 24 months.
Prefer the freedom to easily migrate if/when the service is no longer good or something better comes along.

Sumen

Expert Member
Contract, works out cheaper at the and don't mind waiting 2 years to change a phone

Tman*

Expert Member
Prepaid for me too. I normally buy a new year or 2 old phone cash (when the S10 comes out, Ill buy a S9 or a S8). Great savings, and the phones are still pretty much top of the line, minus a few gimmicks.

Masataka

Went back to contract because Telkom didn’t have an special fees on their contract like the others do. Was purely the device cost and data package cost.

Jola

Honorary Master
Cash purchase, don't want to be stuck with limited availability of crippled phones from ISP's.

So, typically, value-for-money dual sim smartphones.

Now one OnePlus 5 8GB RAM, total 128GB memory. Should last for a while.

Previously dual sim S7 edge (crap phone, because second sim slot not dedicated), and before that dual sim LG G3.

Brawler

Executive Member
Have done both but usually contract as the price of phone + data costs more than the contract.

Not enjoying the R700 debit order lately so will probably go mid range next time. Mid range phones are very decent these days (Nokia 7 plus).

cyndielou

I find buying a smartphone on contract is much better. I can organize my contract to have a good chunk of data available each month instead of having to buy extra data at enhanced rates