Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

• Contract

Votes: 57 30.6%
  • Prepaid

Votes: 129 69.4%

• Total voters

zs6rsw

It depends on what type of phone you want. If a high-end device, then a contract is probably more cost effective. But switch to prepaid once the 24 contract period is up. The decent phones should last a lot longer than 2 years and you'll be amazed how little most people actually need to spend per month on calls and data once you're no longer on a contract.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I find buying a smartphone on contract is much better. I can organize my contract to have a good chunk of data available each month instead of having to buy extra data at enhanced rates
I have 10GB pm data contract on my smartphone and the smartphone is prepaid (R10 000 I think it was). So the 2 are not really related.

Tovad

If it is a contract with Vodacom or MTN is must be a prepaid phone + simcard contract because they disable the second sim on dual sim phones that I need

themonk

My preference is to purchase on contract. It's convenient and if you keep and eye out for promotions, you can get a great deal.

konfab

Honorary Master
All of the above? :p

I bought my phone cash, have a prepaid MTN sim for voice, and an Afrihost data contract.

Fro

I prefer prepaid, and I bought my current phone (P8 Lite 2017) cash, but high-end phones are too damn expensive to buy cash at the moment.

I might get a S9 later this year. The camera on low-mid range phones are just not good enough (for me) and you don't carry your proper camera with you at all times. It's also a schlep to update the phone with the 16 GB internal storage, even though I have an SD card.

maumau

Honorary Master
Prepaid. Bought my Note 5 cash and will use it for a good few years.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Contract. I'm high usage and it works out cheaper than 600+ minutes prepaid PLUS a high end iPhone.

MainMeat

Top-up / prepaid - allows me to control spending and not have a surprise when data goes out of bundle...

Sikupela

I love contract and I think it makes sense, value for money wise, however, I'm always getting mugged when I buy a contract phone. What bad luck they bring me, it happened twice in the past 3 months and now i'm stuck with contracts to pay and I don't even have the phone. No, i didn't insure them, well aware that was a bad call but it's expensive. Anyway now I'm without a phone and I think when I do buy i'll only buy cash.

Quintus26

I would like to try Prepaid because then I can have more control over how much I spend on a phone. MTN makes it intentionally hard for you to end a contract and keep you in an almost endless loop of upgrading and spending more money than you should. It would be nice to buy a phone at its set price, then decide what prepaid data to get for it.

Brawler

Executive Member
Pre-paid. Contract is for suckers who want to live beyond their means.
BS statement.
Of course there are people who do contracts as a means to afford something they technically shouldn't be buying but there are equally as many people who have at least 24m financial security and see the savings of a contract vs cash phone + airtime + data.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm a big OnePlus fan since buying the OnePlus One, so it's prepaid devices for me ever since. The cost of my OnePlus 6 is less than a year of typical contract rates for an Android flagship, and provides a better experience. It leaves me free to get cost effective sim-only contracts from MTN (voice and sms) and Afrihost (data).

I love contract and I think it makes sense, value for money wise, however, I'm always getting mugged when I buy a contract phone. What bad luck they bring me, it happened twice in the past 3 months and now i'm stuck with contracts to pay and I don't even have the phone. No, i didn't insure them, well aware that was a bad call but it's expensive. Anyway now I'm without a phone and I think when I do buy i'll only buy cash.
After the first time you should stick to insurance. It's more expensive having to buy a new phone and there's the misery of it probably being worse than what went before it.

Sikupela

I'm actually familiar with everything you're mentioning and I love Afrihost data and i am big fan of OnePlus and I plan to get the OnePlus 6 white version as my next phone. Is it available in South Africa though? Like is there a walk in store where I can get one?