Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

• Contract

Votes: 57 30.6%
  • Prepaid

Votes: 129 69.4%

• Total voters

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Prepaid. Show me the network that sells unrestricted dual SIM phones...
Never use phones provided by a network.

Prepaid is a total loss. If you use R200 airtime every month you might as well commit to a Topup contract that gives you that R200 and on top of it they will give you a phone worth R2000 ~ R3000 that you can sell instantly.

LAries

Prepaid. I have a contract at work, but Vodacom refuse to give me a dual sim phone (even though my prepaid is also Vodacom), so I use my private phone with both sims. I am using a Xiaomi Redmi 4X for under R2k and Vodacom prepaid voice at 79c per minute for private calls. Cannot see how a contract can be cheaper.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm actually familiar with everything you're mentioning and I love Afrihost data and i am big fan of OnePlus and I plan to get the OnePlus 6 white version as my next phone. Is it available in South Africa though? Like is there a walk in store where I can get one?
The OnePlus 6 isn't sold in SA as far as I'm aware, and isn't even a supported country when shipping directly from OnePlus.com. I had family bring it to SA with them on the way back from the UK, but previously I have used MyUS as a mail forwarding service with a US order. Stackry is better these days though from what I hear, and in any case many locals order from alternative online stores. Check out the OnePlus 6 thread on MyBB for more info.

I wish MTN would strike up a partnership with OnePlus. They could offer amazing value contracts with that device.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Prefer contract,

but with the way things are going in our country, I'd rather not be killed for a phone.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Prepaid = work out cheaper
Wrong. Let's say you spend R120 on prepaid each month, you might as well opt for a topup R120 contract and over 2 years instead of spending R2880 you only spent R2136.
wrong.jpg
Prepaid always costs more.

Service

Definitely contract = when packaged right, it usually offers more value for money. I always target models that are being phased out when newer models enter the market.

1anRoux

I like getting free phones? anybody want to give me one?

If I have to ill stick to prepaid because the true cost of calls is so little that you are actually just paying for a device with fixed contract term of 24 months.

ronz91

Expert Member
I prefer buying Prepaid because #1 Cost (i.e bought a Mobicel Rebel, installed custom ROM, without bloat and only apps I use installed for under R400), #2 I have more control of my data/airtime used without any adware.

Overall, was negating the feeling of throwing money down the drain!
amazed that device had a custom rom, is it based on something from the north?

Reubenium

Prepaid is the best option. You're not tied to one device for two years. The cost of the sets is making it difficult for people to buy them cash.
Contract is currently the better-looking option. We just need to have trade-ins and early upgrades like the Apple Store.

ronz91

Expert Member
Prepaid

as much as contracts can be good deals for flagships, SA does not get the niche ones like Pixel, 1+ etc, I can get more models with a dual sim option allowing for much better flexibility and allowing my primary number to stay prepaid and flexible.

that said, if you have set data and voice needs, then you can probably find a contract that is good value with a good device

I bought my current Moto X Style for 5k 2 years ago and its still going strong. Only things I would want from an upgrade is dual sim, better battery life and better camera quality. sound on this is great, screen good(wouldnt mind going down to FHD for the better battery life). had a separate data contract in it which ended and I cancelled coz of the crazy call rate prices on VC. now with TM but would love dual sim for VCs superior and TMs low prices. can only seem to get good service on 3G network and above but then data gets used really quickly, VCs 2G data lasts me. But TM actually sell contract dual sim phones. so meh

so I have my Moto running a TM prepaid sim and a cheaper Kicker running a VC top up contract (it was only R55pm with a device) on hotspot to the device.

so yeah the next upgrade whenever that is will be interesting. will have to do my math and think about it.

Last edited: