Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

• Contract

Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Prepaid

Votes: 92 64.8%

• Total voters

Jareddy

Prepaid. I used to be on the Vodacom Smart Small contract and my spend over 2 years would add up to about R21600 (R900x24). I then shopped around and found a Vodacom dealer that now gives me a Vodacom stock phone(Vodacom 2 year warranty) at a good cash price. I take out a sim only top up package that gives me 10GB a month and I buy airtime for calls seperately. This option costs me about R14700 over 2 years. R7500 for the phone (Sony Xperia XZ) and R230 a month for the contract and about R70 a month on airtime.

newklear

amazed that device had a custom rom, is it based on something from the north?
In SA for the Mobicel Rebel, the stock ROM is: MT6570, I installed: mobicel-rebel-mt6572 and sourced it from the aiomobilestuff domain. A quick google will put you in the correct path :)

Chris14

Expert Member
If you don't have a phone at all and you intend buying a Top Range Phone like the latest Apple/Samsung.
It's best to get the contract... Why
Contract:
MTN S9 Example (with Airtime, SMS, Data included)
R629 p/m x 24 = R15096

Pre-Paid:
R15000 once-off cash for the S9
Now it's plain stupid that you must go buy Airtime and Data and in the end it will cost you more money than the contract.

Moondogg

Prepaid- I hate unnecessary bills, I have more control over my usage and how much I spend because everything is paid for upfront.
I also wont be shocked with a huge bill month end.also, there are good smartphones with decent specs for a reasonable price so there's really no need for a contract phone

demonweare

I prefer buying prepaid but sometimes capital does not permit and you have to bite the contract bullet.

MirageF1

Expert Member
No, prefer the ability to swop and change and not be locked into some out of date *** deal.

In the old days when there wasn't much choice ja well no fine...but nowadays....nooit.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Unlikely, first off you will get UIF secondly with all contacts if you call them and tell them the situation you can work around it. You only get blacklisted if you keep quiet and stop paying.