Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

Do you prefer buying a smartphone on contract or prepaid?

• Contract

Votes: 57 31.1%
  • Prepaid

Votes: 126 68.9%

• Total voters

awvince

Expert Member
I hate being bogged down by a contract and I'm always scared of losing my job, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

highvoltage

I prefer prepaid by a long shot, that way I'm not limited by any plan's limitations and I can buy a new phone whenever I need/want without having to wait for a contract period to end.

Currantly

I prefer prepaid, and I bought my current phone (P8 Lite 2017) cash, but high-end phones are too damn expensive to buy cash at the moment.
My 2 year old P8 lite cost less than R1000 on my Telkom contract. The total contract cost was ~R3340 (VAT increase)...which is just a little more than the device was going for at the start of the contract, plus I get free whattsup, 50 free texts etc.

If you want anything more than a starter phone then contract is the way to go...you just have to spend some time finding the right deal.

Last edited:

MIA7171

Prepaid, it allows me to buy what phones I want with a variety of choices. Prepaid also allows me to buy older Phones. Contracts would be nice if there were more phone choices to choose from instead of sticking with popular phones that sell, pus I don't use a phone enough for a contract. It would also be nice if contracts still offer 2 -3 years older premium phones instead of always the latest one.

Last edited:

Cius

Expert Member
Contract makes a lot more sense to me. When I was on prepaid I typically used about R160 airtime a month if I adjust the amount forward. My current contract costs me R199 and includes enough minutes that I never top up. I also get a new phone every 21 or so months on early upgrade.

My current phone that I got in Dec on contract is a Hauwei P10 lite. It retails for about R3500.

So if I was on prepaid I would have spent about R3360 on airtime over 21 months.
On contract I pay R4179 over 21 months but got the phone free. So in essence I got the 3.5K phone for about R800.

In addition I use afrihost data on my MTN contract sim, so a 1 GB contract there costs R68 while with MTN a 1GB data bundle is R149. The saving over 21 months amounts to R1701. This option is only available on the contract SIM. So overall I am way ahead on contract and don't get why people would ever do prepaid if they had similar usage patterns to me.

So total saving is R3500 - R800 + R1701 = R4401

That would more than double what I spend on cell phones if if I kept buying a new phone every 21 months.

The math is simple, and a little crazy. No idea how MTN is actually making any money off of me. I suspect the average user tops up a lot more on data and airtime and that is where they make 90% of the profit. As I never do that the math works heavily in my favour.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
I'm on contract. But I buy my phone separate. Only my Sim is contract (and I renew just my sim)

When I checked, if I exclude the phone, you get double/triple airtime etc for cheap.

Currantly

Prepaid, it allows me to buy what phones I want with a variety of choices. Prepaid also allows me to buy older Phones. Contracts would be nice if there were more phone choices to choose from instead of sticking with popular phones that sell, pus I don't use a phone enough for a contract. It would also be nice if contracts still offer 2 -3 years older premium phones instead of always the latest one.
I don't know about the rest, but Telkom has plenty of older devices available on contract. Remember that some 'phones advertised as 'New!' are just 'new to South Africa', and may actually be 1+ years old in reality. Not saying that it will necessarily be reflected in the contract price, but just always be sure to do your research & actually always check exactly what the specs are of the device on offer.

MIA7171

I don't know about the rest, but Telkom has plenty of older devices available on contract. Remember that some 'phones advertised as 'New!' are just 'new to South Africa', and may actually be 1+ years old in reality. Not saying that it will necessarily be reflected in the contract price, but just always be sure to do your research & actually always check exactly what the specs are of the device on offer.
Back then when I wanted a Sony Xperia z3 compact on contract, I was told they don't stock them anymore, they only stock the Z5 as it was recently launched.
Let's say if I wanted Sony xperia z5 or z5 compact on contract or Samsung Galaxy S7 on contract where would I find them?

I have checked Telkom's website, they don't have Samsung Galaxy S7 or S8 or Sony Xperia Z5. They do have Samsung S9, I did spoke to the salesman, they told me they only stock phones from 2017 - 2019 and when a new one is launched in SA, they will start removing the old stock. I always research the phone first on google before buying. It's always the popular brands like Samsung, iphone, Huawei or Xiomi. I don't always like popular brand and follow what everyone is buying. No Google, Lack of Sony models, No Asus, etc.

Currantly

I have checked Telkom's website, they don't have Samsung Galaxy S7 or S8 or Sony Xperia Z5. They do have Samsung S9, I did spoke to the salesman, they told me they only stock phones from 2017 - 2019 and when a new one is launched in SA, they will start removing the old stock. I always research the phone first on google before buying. It's always the popular brands like Samsung, iphone, Huawei or Xiomi. I don't always like popular brand and follow what everyone is buying. No Google, Lack of Sony models, No Asus, etc.
I found the Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro 32GB for R249/month. It's from June 2017, but the price doesn't seem all that special.

For Sony, they have the XZ1, which is from August 2017, for R429/month. Don't know much about Sony devices....

The oldest Huwei I could find is the P10, from February 2017, for R299/month.

Again, nothing too special about any of those offers, especially considering the age of the devices.