Do you regularly watch movies in a cinema?

Do you regularly watch movies in a cinema?

• Yes

Votes: 40 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 298 88.2%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you regularly watch movies in a cinema? If so, what do you like about watching a movie in a cinema?

R4ziel

Expert Member
Used to go a lot as an outing with the wife, dinner and a movie, but haven't been there in ages as everything is getting stupid expensive and there aren't any movies I want to watch particularly urgently so I wait for them to become available in alternative methods, and watch it in the comfort of my own home

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Only go for skip, skiet en donder movies like any self-respecting mouthbreather. Last one I went to was Hobbes & Shaw.

Sound setup is better than what I have at home.

Shi

Expert Member
I haven't been in ages, but my kids enjoy going with their friends.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yes, but ONLY on Wednesdays when it (numetro) is cheaper and thus reasonably priced (prices are just not reasonable on other days), and if the movie is worth that price. Buy no drinks or popcorn.

Reactions: Fro

rodga

Executive Member
I used to go regularly maybe 10 years ago. These days if I go twice a year its a lot. Ive just went to see bad boys last week. It was enjoyable. But if it was not for the rewards ticket pricing I would not have been there.

First off, seats were in a poor state. Pretty gross having to put you arm on the arm rest. Then the sound has the same issue from years ago. Dolby atmos equipped cinema which I don't think has been calibrated since it was installed several years ago. Volume is always too loud to the point that a few atmos speakers were rattling - unacceptable imo.

The movie time was 8:15 and that was the time we arrived in our seats. The actual movie only started at 8:42! We had to sit through almost 30 mins of non stop ads for the privilege of spending our money there.

Then the cost. If we had to go to the 4dx cinema it would cost R190 each. Popcorn/drink and snack combo x2 about R180. Thats almost R600 for a dinner and a movie minus the dinner.

Genesistt

Do you regularly watch movies in a cinema? If so, what do you like about watching a movie in a cinema?
Let me answer it like this. It's gotten to the point where Ster Kinekor is sending me emails begging me to come back. I can't remember the last time I actually watched a movie in a cinema. I know it was last year (2019) somewhere. Maybe August? When did Avengers: Endgame hit cinemas? I dunno.... I have bought DVD's for the price of a 3D movie ticket. So why bother with the cinema when I can watch it in the comfort of my own home for as many times as I like without other people bugging me? I can pause when I need to go to the bathroom or refill my snacks. And my recliner is way more comfortable than those horrid cinema seats!

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I used to go regularly maybe 10 years ago. These days if I go twice a year its a lot. Ive just went to see bad boys last week. It was enjoyable. But if it was not for the rewards ticket pricing I would not have been there.

First off, seats were in a poor state. Pretty gross having to put you arm on the arm rest. Then the sound has the same issue from years ago. Dolby atmos equipped cinema which I don't think has been calibrated since it was installed several years ago. Volume is always too loud to the point that a few atmos speakers were rattling - unacceptable imo.

The movie time was 8:15 and that was the time we arrived in our seats. The actual movie only started at 8:42! We had to sit through almost 30 mins of non stop ads for the privilege of spending our money there.

Then the cost. If we had to go to the 4dx cinema it would cost R190 each. Popcorn/drink and snack combo x2 about R180. Thats almost R600 for a dinner and a movie minus the dinner.

Are you 12?

DHimself

I used to be an avid cinema-goer, especially to the IMAX, but Ster Kinekor is really dropping the ball. Prices for everything are just ludicrous, and then there's the added convenience of sitting in dirty seats (why not copy Nu Metro and upholster in leather or pleather even) or in cinemas where the equipment isn't maintained properly.

Tried to see Bad Boys For Life yesterday at Tygervalley, and the projector gave up the ghost twice throughout the screening. You could see the 'projector bulb' flickering from the get-go, that would've been enough warning had any semblance of quality control been in place.
They offered readmission tickets, but that's just not acceptable. Not anymore.

So, I've resigned to just enjoying movies from the comfort of my home. I've had enough. To think, I could've spent all that money I did at the cinema on a good lazyboy recliner. My TV is new enough for great 4K and I've got a decent enough sound setup. So there it is.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Only went last year for the first time in about 8 years as it was my daughters "first movie at a cinema".