Do you see 4G+ or 4G with Rain?

Napalm

Expert Member
Cavedog. Why don't you mail the info to Rain ISP or Afrihost to escalate?

Maybe they need to check that out before going any further...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Cavedog. Why don't you mail the info to Rain ISP or Afrihost to escalate?

Maybe they need to check that out before going any further...
Because I can predict that when first line support tells me to reboot my router and check again I will break stuff.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
I think they made a mistake with the router as per my post above. They wanted the B618 to aggregate both bands and give true LTE-A speeds where both frequencies will be combined giving users a lot of speed but they failed to notice that the router just does not support it and runs the 2 lte bands separately so for now people need to choose a band.
What doesn't make sense is them locking the network to devices which don't offer CA... Hopefully myBB will shine some light on this little mistake they made.

In the mean time 2600Mhz has been treating me well while no one knows about it. Thanks for sharing your findings

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
I don't know I have flashed 3 different types of firmware. Play Telekom Poland. Denmark4G and Russia 3 Net I think it was and it did not solve the issue at all so might actually be a hardware/chip related restriction.

If you want 100Mbps+ on true LTE-A with CA on Rain you need a router or cpe that can do CA_3A-38A.

It will aggregate the bands together and you can essentially see the download speed of 1800MHz + download speed of 2600MHz and then either the upload speed of 1800Mhz or upload speed of 2600Mhz.

This is the latest firmware available for this router but people in Poland is also complaining saying the router is not supporting the proper ca combinations that Play Poland is running.

Would this device work? It does 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz: https://scoop.co.za/mikrotik-1-8-2-6ghz-lte-cpe-with-9dbi-60-antenna.html

Was tempted to get one before Rain locked their network down

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So after some research and testing my research I see that both Rain and Vodacom made a HORRIBLE mistake selecting the Huawei B618s-22d as their primary LTE+/4G+ CPE.

They failed to do simple research on the matter and it will cost them.

The Huawei B618s-22d does not Support LTE on Rain and Vodacom(Roaming Rain)

The data sheet available from Huawei indicates that the B618 supports the following:
LTE: B1/3/7/8/20/38 FDD: 2100 MHz/1800 MHz/2600 MHz/ 900 MHz/800 MHz TDD: 2600 MHz
Intra-band contiguous: CA_1C,CA_3C,CA_7C,CA_8B, CA_38C
Inter-band: CA_1A-3A,CA_1A-20A,CA_3A-7A,CA_3A-20A,CA_7A-20A,CA_20A-38A

As you can see from above the is no Inter-band non continuous CA for band 3 and band 38. That is why Cellc actually works with LTE Advanced because the router supports their band combination with CA_1A-3A

This is SHOCKING how Rain and Vodacom could have over looked this thing. Did they not pick it up in testing :confused: The router supports CA of band 38 if the network owns more than one block of spectrum in that frequency for example 2 x 20MHz blocks of 2600MHz then CA will will happen but it does not support CA between band 38 and band 3.

I remembered that before Rain locked the network my S8 did indeed show 4G+ on Rain and for that to have had happened CA must have been active and the total bandwidth being more than 20MHz and we know that Rain has 10Mhz 1800Mhz and 20MHz 2600MHz spectrum and that is what they are using to run their LTE. Not sure if they have more blocks of spectrum in each band but if they do it's not implemented because the B618 would have picked up that and CA would happen with the routers Inter-Band Continuous CA. :(

Links as evidence:
http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/101-carrier-aggregation-explained
https://www.slideshare.net/allabout4g/23-aug12-ltewebcast
https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/lte-advanced-technology-carrier-aggregation/
http://2share.co.za/Files/HUAWEI B618s-22d-datasheet.pdf
Maybe an ICASA issue not allowing the other model?

It probably doesn't offer CA as I'm getting the distinct impression that RAIN only exists to provide Vodacom with access to 2600...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Maybe an ICASA issue not allowing the other model?
I think when they saw this CA_38C They said yes it will work but it doesn't. That is only carrier aggregation support for multiple blocks of spectrum in band 38(2600MHz) and won't aggregate it with band 3.

Some searching on the web actually shows Rain own 2 blocks of spectrum in 2600MHz but we just don't know what they actually have and they only running one block of 20MHz spectrum in 2600MHz

cavedog

Honorary Master
It probably doesn't offer CA as I'm getting the distinct impression that RAIN only exists to provide Vodacom with access to 2600...
I have to agree with you. Why did Vodacom choose the band 3 and 38 aggregation over aggregating two blocks of 10Mhz spectrum which is actually supported in more devices. Why does Vodacom LTE-A roam exclusively on Rain. So when Vodacom claims they have the best LTE-A network is that a fair claim since they are roaming on Rain LTE-A when they make that claim.

Rain made a mistake by limiting their network to certain devices. They essentially blocked every Rain user from actually benefiting from Carrier Aggregation on their network because the devices allowed on their network does not allow aggregation between FDD 1800MHz and TDD 2600MHz. How did they make a mistake like this?

Last edited:

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
I have to agree with you. Why did Vodacom choose the band 3 and 38 aggregation over aggregating two blocks of 10Mhz spectrum which is actually supported in more devices. Why does Vodacom LTE-A roam exclusively on Rain. So when Vodacom claims they have the best LTE-A network is that a fair claim since they are roaming on Rain LTE-A when they make that claim.

Rain made a mistake by limiting their network to certain devices. They essentially blocked every Rain user from actually benefiting from Carrier Aggregation on their network because the devices allowed on their network does not allow aggregation between FDD 1800MHz and TDD 2600MHz. How did they make a mistake like this?
Incompetent employees...?

By the looks of it, you should apply for a job with them and then sort this all out. :)

Quicks

Seems like Rain is defaulting to the 2600 TDD band now? This is tested with B618.

Would make sense as they are getting ready to test Rain Mobile which will use the 1800 band?

Last edited:

Flamer283

So there is nothing you can do to B315 routers? I am experiencing extremely slow speeds during the night.

cavedog

Honorary Master

Flamer283

I downloaded the toolbox and entered my username and password but it is giving me an Unhanded exception error saying "The system cannot locate the resource specified" when I press connect.

edit : my B315 router was supplied by Afrihost
edit 2 : tried both v0.8 and v0.9 same error

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I downloaded the toolbox and entered my username and password but it is giving me an Unhanded exception error saying "The system cannot locate the resource specified" when I press connect.

edit : my B315 router was supplied by Afrihost
edit 2 : tried both v0.8 and v0.9 same error
Okay have you tried the tool I posted in this thread?

Flamer283

The toolbox works now that I am on a different pc.. So I manually added the band 38 and it automatically reverts me back to the default band

cavedog

Honorary Master
I think it is because band 38 is not supported for this modem
Well if you get it from Afrihost it should support band 38 unless that router only supports FDD 2600MHz and not 2600MHz TDD. I really can't suggest anything because I don't own one and really want to own one actually to test it out but I only got B618 and they support both with 2600MHz usually faster but not always.

Mind giving us the model number?