Do you (still) go to the gym?

Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

• I never go to the gym

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • I used to go, but stopped because of Covid-19

Votes: 120 39.9%
  • I still go to the gym

Votes: 57 18.9%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

hjst45

Yes, but it depends on which gym and location.

I would avoid:
Virgin Active since lack of cleanliness has been a problem even before the pandemic at most of their clubs.
Any gym which has not yet released a statement on the situation.
Any gym in an area with a high infection rate.

I would still:
Go to my local gym which is always clean, provides regular updates on how they're dealing with the situation, are doing their best to limit the amounts of people at the gym at a given time, urge people to say away if they're sick, closed the steam room etc.

No infections yet in the Eastern Cape, so I think I'm safer being at the gym than the overcrowded malls full of school kids...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Rumour of someone at Melrose Arch VA testing positive for CoVID-19, so, I'd stay away from all of them.
Hell, if even parkruns worldwide are stopped, you're a right pillock to think a gym is safe.

bwana

MyBroadband
But are you still going to the shops, or anywhere public for that matter? If so, you are 0% safer
You don't spend nearly as much time touching surfaces when you're in public, do you? Even shopping, most of the touching involves picking something up and keeping it. In the gym you're hopping from machine to machine, touching surface after sweaty surface.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
But are you still going to the shops, or anywhere public for that matter? If so, you are 0% safer
So, it's tricky, innit? I'm not going to the shops, the whole family is at home.
But the the dent in the plan comes with needing to buy medicine, for example, I need to pick up my fiance's birth control script - maybe one could view that as a non-essential item?
How about the script for my daughter's eczema medication? Without that she can't sleep or bath or anything as the pain is too great. What do I do then?
What if I'm not an arsehole, I mean panic buyer, and I run out of regular day to day grocery items?

What then?

WorldWarII

Expert Member
im still going to gym. Various planet fitness' . They make you bring 2 twols and spray you with something that smells like cheap tequila. Its empty also so best gym times ever!!

hjst45

So, it's tricky, innit? I'm not going to the shops, the whole family is at home.
But the the dent in the plan comes with needing to buy medicine, for example, I need to pick up my fiance's birth control script - maybe one could view that as a non-essential item?
How about the script for my daughter's eczema medication? Without that she can't sleep or bath or anything as the pain is too great. What do I do then?
What if I'm not an arsehole, I mean panic buyer, and I run out of regular day to day grocery items?

What then?
Exactly my point. Even if you do your best to take the measures, its extremely difficult to 100% isolate yourself. I also don't plan on panic-buying stock for months, and many people can't afford to do so.

If a person panic-buys all the vitamin pills because they think it'll boost their immune, who are they to judge me for exercising instead? :)

R13...

Honorary Master
No. Because all the gyms in my area have been advised to close.

bwana

MyBroadband
im still going to gym. Various planet fitness' . They make you bring 2 twols and spray you with something that smells like cheap tequila. Its empty also so best gym times ever!!
Is two towels the secret to fighting corona?

And what is spaying a person with disinfectant supposed to achieve? They're still breathing, sweating, wiping, touching...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
If a person panic-buys all the vitamin pills because they think it'll boost their immune, who are they to judge me for exercising instead? :)
I continue training. Sunlight and exercise are very beneficial. Fortunately most/all of my training is on my own, so it's easy. But I do worry now that I'll get hit by a car when riding and need an ICU bed.

chrisc

Executive Member
Wife used to go to Virgin Active in Constantia twice a week

The cleanliness of the bathrooms and some of the spinning and weight machines left a lot to be desired. The staff pretended to be concerned and issued all sorts of statements, but did not improve matters.

When she told the reception lady she would not attend until they improved matters, the lady was quite disinterested

But they are quick to increase fees on a regular basis

Virgin health centres in London are spotless all the time