Do you (still) go to the gym?

Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

• I never go to the gym

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • I used to go, but stopped because of Covid-19

Votes: 120 39.9%
  • I still go to the gym

Votes: 57 18.9%

• Total voters

Neuk_

Expert Member
I haven't been since the first week of March before I rode the Cape Town Cycle Tour.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Nope, I saw it coming. That's why I stopped years ago to be ready for this day :)

hjst45

In 80 degrees. Viruses dies at 56 degrees.
Respiratory infections breed in moist environments (like saunas).

There is no scientific proof to your claim.

Also note that the virus cannot be transmitted through sweat.

R4ziel

Expert Member
I don't go to the gym anymore, not because Covid-19 but because I read an article years ago some person got a heart attack because he was working out, so I avoid dangerous places since then

bwana

MyBroadband
Funny enough I seriously considered joining a gym last month but even then the signs were blatantly obvious that it wasn't a good idea.

etienne_marais

Executive Member
(Our) Planet Fitness branch has hand sanitizer at the entrance (compulsory to use upon entrance) and two towels are needed, one for sweat and one for wiping the equipment you used. Still going but not 100% sure it's a good idea.

bwana

MyBroadband
(Our) Planet Fitness branch has hand sanitizer at the entrance (compulsory to use upon entrance) and two towels are needed, on for sweat and one for wiping the equipment you used. Still going but not 100% sure it's a good idea.
Why two? Is using the same towel for both some how less effective? Even Ford Prefect only carries one so it seems like overkill to me.

acidrain

Executive Member
Not currently going. Not because of the virus but because of the weather.... only really joined the gym for winter when outdoors was not possible. Stationary bikes are boring compared to being out on the open road on a sunny afternoon.

WorldWarII

Expert Member
they say 1 towl is to put on the machine and one to wipe your disgusting sweaty face off with. Trying to minimize contact so I suppose its a good idea. Few people gymming with ruber gloves on

Luke7777

Executive Member
Not currently going. Not because of the virus but because of the weather.... only really joined the gym for winter when outdoors was not possible. Stationary bikes are boring compared to being out on the open road on a sunny afternoon.
You riding a motorbike ? :D :D

Thor

Honorary Master
Respiratory infections breed in moist environments (like saunas).

There is no scientific proof to your claim.

Also note that the virus cannot be transmitted through sweat.
No, there's plenty of science backing that up.

Higher temperatures and humidity also tend to result in other coronaviruses dying quicker, although research has shown that a related coronavirus that causes Sars could be killed by temperatures above 56°C or 132°F

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Funny enough I seriously considered joining a gym last month but even then the signs were blatantly obvious that it wasn't a good idea.
The initial investment for my kettlebell set already paid for itself. Even without it, you can do pretty much enough with something like a stepper/punching bag + own bodyweight vs paying for it every month.

Terence1983

Have my own home gym, haven't been to a commercial gym in years.

I do however belong to an obstacle course race training facility which is outdoors and has not been closed, the coaches are taking the necessary precautions though, sanitizing the crap out of everything being used before and after a class. Hand sanitizer must be used.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I did - 5 days a week.

Trying to figure out how to swim - was doing 3-5km sessions - by the time I go back I'll be doing 500m.

While I'm not overly cautious of the virus - I am overly cautious of the cleanliness of the VA gyms