Do you (still) go to the gym?

Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

• I never go to the gym

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • I used to go, but stopped because of Covid-19

Votes: 120 39.9%
  • I still go to the gym

Votes: 57 18.9%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
With medical aid, it is very close to free. Why else do you think so many people are shaving their asses in the bathrooms?
How does that work? I looked at Discovery Vitality and it would cost me R280 per month to join that. Then I can get up to 75% of my gym fees off. My nearest Virgin Active is R330 per month so it's actually cheaper not to join vitality.

diapason

Expert Member
How does that work? I looked at Discovery Vitality and it would cost me R280 per month to join that. Then I can get up to 75% of my gym fees off. My nearest Virgin Active is R330 per month so it's actually cheaper not to join vitality.
For those of us whose Vitality gym memberships predate 2010 we pay nothing above our Vitality subs, a large chunk of which we tend to get back on healthy foods and at Dischem/Clicks.

bwana

MyBroadband
For those of us whose Vitality gym memberships predate 2010 we pay nothing above our Vitality subs, a large chunk of which we tend to get back on healthy foods and at Dischem/Clicks.
Ah, ok.

Still - the Vitality subs are only R50 less per month than the actual gym membership.

diapason

Expert Member
Ah, ok.

Still - the Vitality subs are only R50 less per month than the actual gym membership.
True, but you need to take all the Vitality discounts into account. I usually get back about R150 to R200 per month out of my sub of R280 leaving my effective gym cost at R80 to R130 per month.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
With medical aid, it is very close to free. Why else do you think so many people are shaving their asses in the bathrooms?
Not really the cost but convenience. I can step out now and start to do what I want to, nothing is hogged. or go for run/walk/cycle. Besides, home gym is open 24.7 and excludes a lot of diseases, racial altercations and or other problems.

edit
I suppose the "I'll get caught" while doing the nasty and home gym doesn't work :unsure:

hjst45

My company pays my Vitality along with my medical aid. I end up paying about R140 a month for the gym.

hjst45

Just got back from the gym. Must say, I felt a little paranoid with the amount of people there and the sheer lack of personal hygiene. Left after 15min :confused:

Crossfit it is boiis...time to moer those hosepipes and throw rocks around the yard :ROFL:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Gym you have people sweating touching themselves, taking a piss and then touching equipment, men feeling themselves, sweaty anuses pressed on benches, vag....

Ok you get the picture. That's a no from me.

JayM

Expert Member
I'm on the same arrangement. I have been unable to confirm if the reduced visit concession (30 visits to the end of next month) applies to the pre-2010 memberships. I'm one visit short if it doesn't.

diapason

Expert Member
I'm on the same arrangement. I have been unable to confirm if the reduced visit concession (30 visits to the end of next month) applies to the pre-2010 memberships. I'm one visit short if it doesn't.
I'm in the same situation so will make sure I at least swipe my card. Gym is in the same centre where I do most of my shopping.

JayM

Expert Member
I'm in the same situation so will make sure I at least swipe my card. Gym is in the same centre where I do most of my shopping.
Gym is also just down the road from me, but I feel like I'm taking the piss if I go there just to swipe the card. :laugh:

Thor

Honorary Master
Problem is once you've been training hard no amount of body weight exercises will do ****. It's just a light massage.

I'm so pissed at myself for not buying plates on Gumtree.

Never thought to myself there will be a scenario where all the gyms will be closed.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Wow. A pre-crackdown thread resurrection feels like such a necro. So much has happened in the last three months this is like the twilight zone.

krycor

Honorary Master
How many people here have cancelled their gym membership lately?
I am considering cancelling as soon as they resume.. reason i haven't yet is we still considering. If i consider cost saving it's easily do-able to buy gym equipment at home. For now we have resolved that buying cardio treadmill is viable as we both hate going to gym to just do cardio (likely get it next month.. we had other more pressing purchases sadly).

The weights, getting out there, classes (for her) aspect though we need to decide on soon.

Well Virgin haven't charged me during lockdown, so no need to.
They still closed last i checked so no debit orders.. gonna be interesting how Discovery figures what to do with visitation frequency calc as they basically need to disregard from march till open date and the dev shop that does their work always messes up or their business rule decision sucks so i foresee a lot of crap and whining coming.

WorldWarII

Expert Member
So many people have bought equipment that Ive basically carried on gymming right through , Friend few blocks away actually has better stuff than the planet I went to has.