Do you (still) go to the gym?

Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

• I never go to the gym

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • I used to go, but stopped because of Covid-19

Votes: 120 39.9%
  • I still go to the gym

Votes: 57 18.9%

• Total voters

LinuxMan

Expert Member
I am going to cancel mine, my outlook has changed since covid came along.
I have started running more often, will probably get a mountain bike soon as well.
Outdoor exercise is more enjoyable than the indoor gym.
I think many people will think differently, even when things eventually resume to normal.

krycor

Honorary Master
I am going to cancel mine, my outlook has changed since covid came along.
I have started running more often, will probably get a mountain bike soon as well.
Outdoor exercise is more enjoyable than the indoor gym.
I think many people will think differently, even when things eventually resume to normal.
I think you may be undervaluing social setting. Being isolated for since march it's fun when we do our walks and see new people .. it's like wow.. its a person! lmfao.

Granted i have not really gymed in Cpt and apparently the gyms here are a disaster with gym traffic according to spouse(she started prior to lockdown) so we not sure we will like it here.

Jhb spoils you.. you get use to being able to go to restaurants on the fly and easily getting a table, going to gym early evening and getting the gym 10% occupied..

eg2505

Honorary Master
the real losers of covid 19 are gyms having to close down and sell all the equipment and retrench all their staff.
people who are already tight on money, wont waste the time to go to a gym that was expensive anyway.

in times like these people focus on the essentials, and drop lots of things they never need, or use.

WorldWarII

Expert Member
the real losers of covid 19 are gyms having to close down and sell all the equipment and retrench all their staff.
people who are already tight on money, wont waste the time to go to a gym that was expensive anyway.

in times like these people focus on the essentials, and drop lots of things they never need, or use.
except cigarettes funnily enough. Sudden;y everyone can afford to pay 700 rand a carton of cheap RG

eg2505

Honorary Master
except cigarettes funnily enough. Sudden;y everyone can afford to pay 700 rand a carton of cheap RG
do agree there, but Ive said it before, people will sell their first-born child for a pack of smokes,
will pay R1K for a pack and not eat, but still smoke. people are selfish that way.

thankfully I dont, and never will smoke. but do feel sorry for those that do.
this entire time cant be easy for them, like the worst cold turkey session imaginable.

x32

I joined planet fitness last year on a black Friday special. I was meant to pay R99 for the first six months and R799 for the next six months. When Covid-19 struck, I was still paying R99 per month. However, as soon as gyms reopen and begin charging again, I plan on cancelling.

hj007

I'll keep mine. I'm hoping everyone else will just workout at home and I'll get the whole gym to myself...

WorldWarII

Expert Member
I'll keep mine. I'm hoping everyone else will just workout at home and I'll get the whole gym to myself...
this wold be great if the "hardcores" or gym rats are the only that come back. But if they going to tell me to wear a mask.... yah. Things may not go well.

hj007

this wold be great if the "hardcores" or gym rats are the only that come back. But if they going to tell me to wear a mask.... yah. Things may not go well.
As an aside, does one have to wear a mask for sport at the moment?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Of course we'll gloss over the people that actually died and those whose lives are devastated by those deaths. Think of families whose breadwinner is now dead due to this virus. But, yeah, gyms.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
As an aside, does one have to wear a mask for sport at the moment?
Organised events that are permitted or training or just going for a run or something? They all have separate conditions and in the case of organised permitted events, the regulations differ per sporting code.

hj007

Organised events that are permitted or training or just going for a run or something? They all have separate conditions and in the case of organised permitted events, the regulations differ per sporting code.
Yeah, just thinking about if I were to cycle outside I need to wear a mask, and similarly then on a stationary bike at the gym.. but if I play squash or tennis then no mask, but if I play squash at the gym probably need to wear a mask. Anyway, it's just speculation and won't matter.. like you say, someone will post regs and then can decide if it's worth going.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Of course we'll gloss over the people that actually died and those whose lives are devastated by those deaths. Think of families whose breadwinner is now dead due to this virus. But, yeah, gyms.
yes, lets gloss over the deaths caused by Cancer, why don't we?
or car accidents? or Hijacking/muggings/stabbings/or assault GBH or the NUMEROUS other things people die from.

lets go nuts and full retard for a virus that 95% of us will survive perfectly well.
lets close down economies and jobs and businesses and kill MANY more due to starvation due to some virus that good chance.
youll live through perfectly well.

like I said this lockdown has achieved one purpose, and that is to cause people to take leave of their senses.
and let madness prevail.

and here is the net result, people looking like Ninjas, and Gunk being sprayed at everybody
and temp sensors that people got at the china market and barely work properly, if at all.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
yes, lets gloss over the deaths caused by Cancer, why don't we?
or car accidents? or Hijacking/muggings/stabbings/or assault GBH or the NUMEROUS other things people die from.
Is that the same argument Giuliani used when he asked why we don't go into quarantine and have lockdowns for cancer? Cool. I get you.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Is that the same argument Giuliani used when he asked why we don't go into quarantine and have lockdowns for cancer? Cool. I get you.
I mean if Ebola was to spread in SA, yes a Lockdown would make sense,
as the vast majority would die, as their isn't much immunity to that.

but covid? you'll lose taste and smell and feel a bit off for a few days and survive perfectly well.
but shut down the entire economy? put people out of work?