Do you (still) go to the gym?

Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?

• I never go to the gym

Votes: 124 41.2%
  • I used to go, but stopped because of Covid-19

Votes: 120 39.9%
  • I still go to the gym

Votes: 57 18.9%

• Total voters

genetic

Honorary Master
Anyone know where to buy free weights in CPT?

Tried Game, Makro, Sportsmans and none of them have in stock.

diapason

Expert Member
gonna be interesting how Discovery figures what to do with visitation frequency calc as they basically need to disregard from march till open date
Vitality are automatically processing the minimum 3 visits per month which one needs to maintain membership - in my case. the pre 2010 free version.

wise_guy

Expert Member
I wonder if there'll be a paradigm shift in that those that found an alternative to gym cancel their contracts and continue doing the new activity or will the reopening cause even more people to join.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I wonder if there'll be a paradigm shift in that those that found an alternative to gym cancel their contracts and continue doing the new activity or will the reopening cause even more people to join.
Interesting.

I assume there will be a correlation to those that flooded the streets during the 3 hour exercise window and who have now vanished. (much like the dog walkers who went against the ban on dog walking back in April only to never walk their dog again now that they are allowed to)

saor

Honorary Master
I reckon a lot of people will still want the spotting and form correction that comes from working out with other people. Especially with heavy weights, it's easy to get into a bad habit without someone watching you.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I reckon a lot of people will still want the spotting and form correction that comes from working out with other people. Especially with heavy weights, it's easy to get into a bad habit without someone watching you.
...social cachet of being seen.

The people you speak of are the massive minority.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Interesting.

I assume there will be a correlation to those that flooded the streets during the 3 hour exercise window and who have now vanished. (much like the dog walkers who went against the ban on dog walking back in April only to never walk their dog again now that they are allowed to)
Picked that up as well and most were walkers.
We crave for something more when we're deprived but when it's freely available we can't be bothered.
And strangely there isn't mass calls for gyms to be reopened as much as smokes to be unbanned.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
We crave for something more when we're deprived but when it's freely available we can't be bothered.
And strangely there isn't mass calls for gyms to be reopened as much as smokes to be unbanned.
I posted yesterday in a covid thread that we do seem to have a vary unhealthy middle aged and younger population in SA.

wise_guy

Expert Member
Thing is if you've already found an alternative that doesn't require a spotter it negates the need to use that as reason to return to gym.
So it's just the social interaction.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Well with gyms closing there was actually some rationality to it, unlike cigs being banned.

It's going to be a huge mission going back to gym and having to meticulously sanitise everything that one touches. Not sure how that is going to practical and to keep one's heart rate up for Vitality points when more time will be spent cleaning than actually working out :X3:

krycor

Honorary Master
We decided to cancel before they start up again. Sporty activity, treadmill etc is the way forward for us.

Eric

Honorary Master
Do you still go to the gym amidst the coronavirus pandemic?
I still go to the gym... At home. I have treadmill, bike, pull up bar, bench, cage, dumbbells, barbells, punch bag and general purpose machine.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Looking to get a punching bag to vent my Corona stresses.
Will it be something I can do consistently or does it become a novelty?
Also gloves etc.

ActivateD

Expert Member
Since gym have closed I am turned into a runner again and been doing boxing. I have been doing body weight exercises which have been taxing.

hjst45

People seem to miss the point here. Gyms are to fit people like bars are to others. You can buy alcohol and drink at home yes, but it's always more fun drinking with other people...

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
So Virgin Active opens up tomorrow. They will take one's temperature upon arrival they say, but if i jog to the gym then my temperature will likely be elevated :X3:

Screening: If you completed your online screening our team will do a quick temperature check when you arrive. Member access is now also completely contactless and will confirm your time slot and register your visit. Our team is health screened throughout the day, protected and well prepared.