Do you still use cassette tapes, CDs, or vinyl records to play music?

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor

If yes, what do you use and why?

If you listen to music as digital file stored on your PC, iPod, etc, which formats are best and what sound quality would you recommend?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
We have a great selection of LP's and CD's including Cassette tapes.

We listen to the LP's and CD's often and want to convert them to digital some time. We however do not have a cassette player for the tapes.

Our LP's are almost regarded as collectors items and treasured very much.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No. Too much hassle and not portable. Also susceptible to theft.

Yes. Deleted all my music and are now subscribed to a streaming service. 320kbps mp3 is good enough for most people and playable by all devices under the sun.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Nope, I don't live in pre-2005s anymore.

256kbps or better MP3s for me thanks

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Digital on my phone and laptop. At home Vinyl and CDs. I like the album art of vinyl and CDs. Lots of info about bands and lyrics on most. I have bought vinyls just for the album art. I can't say vinyl sounds better than CD or digital, but I love playing them. Even my kids would rather put an LP on and so have discovered good old school music. The family also like buying me LPs for birthdays etc. They are cool.

I have quite a selection of 4track tapes, but have not bothered getting a tape deck yet. Will still do at some point.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Yes we have all three, lots of LP's, CD's and cassettes. We play them because we have them. Some of the music you don't get anymore.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I converted all my CD's to mp3's. Prefer my bitrates the same as supersonvoël.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
No, unfortunately not... finding a quality player these days is difficult and expensive - and all my old tapes are stretched and the records scratched.

saor

Honorary Master
I do miss being able to gift someone with a cd.
It's just not the same giving them a voucher to download music.

Sl8er

Executive Member
I have cassette tapes, records and cd's. Busy converting tapes to mp3's. I don't listen-listen to any of the aforementioned anymore -trying to preserve as much as possible. (Except maybe for the cd's...they're just packed away.)

Digital music: Nothing less than 320kbps if I have to do mp3's, otherwise FLAC is the preferred file format.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Not at the moment, I have a couple of old vinyl records but nothing to play them on, the plan is to buy a proper turntable at some point to properly get in to the vinyl thing again.
As for digital, due to storage I guess anything 320 Kbps MP3 and above is fine, but would love to have all my music in 44.1 16 bit wav format or even higher.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Haven't bought a CD/DVD in last 6-7 years. Converted my CD's to mp3's and store on a server at home.

Been meaning to sell all the CD"s but you get peanuts for them :(

Qrox

Expert Member
Still use CD every now and then in my car since, it only has a cassette player and a cd player. Sadly no bluetooth or USB.
Luckily never had to use the cassette player.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

If yes, what do you use and why?

If you listen to music as digital file stored on your PC, iPod, etc, which formats are best and what sound quality would you recommend?

mp3 cd's in the car.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
All the cars I've been in in quite a while have an AUX port, plug someone's phone/iPod in and play music.
CD's are a hassle to carry around, just what's on my phone would probably be around 40 discs worth, not practical to carry.

Most of it's mp3 320Kbps or whatever was the best quality on the disc.

HiToKiRi

Expert Member
Mostly 320kbps Mp3's (car, phone) however my ears have become more sensitive to lossy audio lately so for home listening I've started reconverting all my audio to FLAC .

I wanted to get back into LP's a few months back but as someone else said, good modern record players (not that Lenco and Crossley rubbish that Musica and IC stock) are expensive and even if I bought a good old-school 2nd-hand player I would mostly likely still need to buy an expensive phono pre-amp.

I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on nostalgia.

Last edited:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Mostly 320kbps Mp3's (car, phone) however my ears have become more sensitive to lossy audio lately so for home listening I've started reconverting all my audio to FLAC .

I wanted to get back into LP's a few months back but as someone else said, good modern record players (not that Lenco and Crossley rubbish that Musica and IC stock) are expensive and even if I bought a good old-school 2nd-hand player I would mostly likely still need to buy an expensive phono pre-amp.

I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on nostalgia.

I was in that same boat. I have an new/modern Integra amp in my HT room, and had the Marantz amp that used to do duty in my HT room on my patio. Then I bought a bloody decent Stanton record player for a steal. Trying to use the Phono inputs on the Integra or Marantz proved I needed a pre-amp. I then found an old (1960s) Pioneer valve radio/phono player. This worked quite well, but the balance on the unit was off and the LPs did not sound the way it should. Lived with this for a while and then decided to move the Marantz back inside, replacing the Pioneer. This was because I wanted to listen to internet radio (RA Rock) inside and the pioneer was even worse running a phone through it.

So I had the phone connected to the Marants CD input, which gave me the exact sound I wanted. So now I still had no proper way of listening to my LPs because of no pr-amp. Can't tell you why I tried it, but I connected the Stanton to the TAPE input of the Marantz and voila, no pre-amp needed. LPs sound so sweet now. I have not checked out the specs of the TAPE input, or tried the Integra's TAPE input, but for some reason TAPE works as pre-amp.