Do you support a national lockdown to contain the spread of the coronavirus?

Do you support a national lockdown to contain the spread of the coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 414 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 90 17.9%

• Total voters

ES1

Is everyone going to live in separate rooms?
Yeah luckily we have a big home and a garden and each their own room. But yeah started to divorce and then corona came, now we both stuck under 1 roof.

Naudran

No. I can't support national draconian measures for anything. I support people staying at home and practicing social distancing. People should be grownups and take personal responsibility.

The economy is fsaked either way.
But people aren't grownup and they don't take personal responsibility as can be easily seen last week, when there was asked to not gather more than 100 people. Weddings still continued with 100+ people, people hugging and kissing each other as if were not in the middle of a global pandemic.

Just look at South Korea's patient 31 and what ONE irresponsible grownup has caused in that country. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read here

The only way to possibly fight this in our country is to lockdown and to actually follow the rules set out. Italy, who also went into lockdown is finally, for the first time in weeks, getting less infection numbers and is slowly turning infection rates down.

If just one person in an informal settlement has this virus, it'll be chaos and just see how quickly our hospital system crumbles.

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
But people aren't grownup and they don't take personal responsibility as can be easily seen last week, when there was asked to not gather more than 100 people. Weddings still continued with 100+ people, people hugging and kissing each other as if were not in the middle of a global pandemic.

Just look at South Korea's patient 31 and what ONE irresponsible grownup has caused in that country. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read here

The only way to possibly fight this in our country is to lockdown and to actually follow the rules set out. Italy, who also went into lockdown is finally, for the first time in weeks, getting less infection numbers and is slowly turning infection rates down.

If just one person in an informal settlement has this virus, it'll be chaos and just see how quickly our hospital system crumbles.
Regarding cancelling a wedding it is easy to say cancel when it isn't your money. I am not aware of responsible adults coming forward offering to help carry the inevitable costs.

It's not clear that South Korea's patient 31 defied any orders to stay away from other people. If all they did was be around other people when they're sick, then well that's common. In some countries people don't get sick leave. In South Africa people will usually only stay home if they're actually too sick to work at all. That's technically what the law says, and for more than three days a doctor's certificate is required. In reality someone who has influenza should stay off work for about a week to avoid infecting others.

noxibox

Honorary Master
If you are out there having contracted the virus you are infecting others. That will end badly as the infection rate is exponential.
Generally people will only know they've contracted it when they get sick. Typically people are not still walking around sick knowing they have this infection. Anyone who is thinks they have something else. It is easy to confuse with other ailments.

I agree. There are so many allowances that it's less of a lockdown and more of a mild restriction. I'm sure the way it's being implemented will cause more harm to the economy than not having the lockdown would have caused harm to people.
That's because although the term lockdown is used internationally it does not mean stopping everything and effectively quarantining everyone. That's not even possible. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't really thought things through.

No ways in hell they can cover the country and every street.
They don't need to. Frankly I doubt even China could actually lock everyone in the entire country in their homes and watch them all to make sure they did so.

You can walk, jog and walk your dog, but do it alone – Minister
I think this says it all for the SA Gov. Really if this is a lockdown then ok.
I think it is you are misunderstanding the use of the term lockdown in this context. There's really no risk in someone in the suburbs going for a run or walking their dog.

Most people were still going to work everyday because they have to.

Sadly, we need total lockdown that's enforced by the army and police force, since individuals who are infected, or who suspect they are infected are still happily walking around - this is how we ended up with a worldwide pandemic in the first place.

Sadly this will affect many people negatively, but I'd take inconvenience over death any day.
There is no such thing as a total lockdown.

For you its an inconvenience. For other people it may well be a choice between different ways to die.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yes, but I don't think that it will work, and it will cause incredible damage to the economy.

But then, so did the ANC.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
Support yes, but I do not think it will be properly controlled/enforced. From what I know of the police and army it is going to be very one sided even if you follow the law. There is quite a few of them that wants to play big brother.

@Ghekko

Yes, in the short term it may hurt the economy and businesses but if its not contained or it spreads the damage that maybe done maybe long lasting and difficult to repair, In terms of people's health it will wreck havoc especially in those who have compromised immune systems.The lock-down may just save lives.

As1974a

Yes from me. But the effect to many people and business is going to be huge.

Voicy

Honorary Master
SA doesn't have the infrastructure to pull off a national lockdown.
No answer is a clear winner here ... and I'm very glad I'm not the one to stand on the podium and deliver this choice to the nation.

While I agree that the country doesn't have the infrastructure to pull off a lockdown, the underlying problem here is that it also doesn't have the healthcare infrastructure to deal with massive influx...nor do 1/3rd of the population have the immune system to survive it.

Tough choices no matter which way you cut it.

Even here in Norway, while we're not on strict lockdown, almost everything is closed and the country's unemployment has gone up to 10% (WW2 era levels).

Reactions: ES1

Ace@30066

Do you support a national lockdown to contain the spread of the coronavirus? If so, are you concerned about the economic impact of a national lockdown?
yes I am concerned about the impact to economy but there's no other choice we have than saved the people of South Africa, we will see about the economy after we contained the Corona virus and what worrying people is that the Corona virus spreading quick and numbers of infected keep rising every day.

T1nman

I dont think any country had the capacity to deal with this, Our country least of all. Really wondering why they dont have a voluntary infection capacity. In December if they could have started infecting managing 300 people for 2 - 3 weeks of controlled infection surely we'd be in a better position.

FNfal

Executive Member

The British government scientists perspective on the virus and death rate , a few valid points which i agree with .

"
The UK government's scientific advisers believe that the chances of dying from a coronavirus infection are between 0.5% and 1%.

This is lower than the rate of death among confirmed cases - which is 4% globally in WHO figures and 5% in the UK as of March 23 - because not all infections are confirmed by testing."

Please read the article before you comment on it !

RedViking

Nord of the South

The British government scientists perspective on the virus and death rate , a few valid points which i agree with .

"
The UK government's scientific advisers believe that the chances of dying from a coronavirus infection are between 0.5% and 1%.

This is lower than the rate of death among confirmed cases - which is 4% globally in WHO figures and 5% in the UK as of March 23 - because not all infections are confirmed by testing."

Please read the article before you comment on it !
Does it say anything about walking to the shop to get groceries?

Otherwise I am not interested.

mathenges

No. Because it won’t stop the spread though it might slow it down. The spread of the virus is a natural phenomenon that will only be stopped by nature.