Do you support a potential extension of the national lockdown?

Do you support a potential extension of the national lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 137 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 185 57.5%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you support a potential extension of the national coronavirus lockdown in South Africa? Can you give reasons for your answer?

Messugga

Honorary Master
No. Because it's pointless. We're simply kicking a can down the road. The virus isn't going away in a couple of weeks or months or years. Either we need a vaccine rolled out to a significant portion of the population or we need heard immunity through people getting the thing and recovering.
At the very least, low risk individuals need to be allowed to continue life. The economy is already screwed and with the job losses happening because of this thing, it feels like more people will die of hunger than of the virus.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Absolutely not. This is not as serious as world cooperating governments say, average death rate is very low.

But what does concern me is the future, if this is "cry wolf" then what will the reaction now be with a true pandemic??

Urist

Expert Member
I don't
I support social distancing, but not by being a prisoner in my house. Let people who want to self isolate do it, Lock down the sick, elderly and other vulnerables, and let the rest of us go on with our lives.
We're just keeping our heads in the sand.

Last edited:

Segg

Expert Member
Let's say 50 000 people die every year from driving cars, do you see us banning cars?

Many many more people are going to lose their jobs etc than are likely going to die from SARS-COV-2....

Yes, hospitals etc are going to be over run in the short term, but where does one draw the line of economic damage (destroying lives) VS preserving a few lives?

So far there have been 9 deaths, how many thousands more have already lost their income and don't know if they'll be able to pay their bond? Or even feed their family by the end of the week?

I guess I'm lucky that ultimately this decision doesn't lie with me

geezer

Expert Member
As it currently is being implemented, it is a fairly futile exercise which will have limited successes. You cannot on the one hand prevent people from exercising out on the open on their own, but allow masses standing in queues or riding close together in close proximity in a confined space of public transport or taxis.

That alone defies the entire intent of the lockdown. I read somewhere where a person compared this like having a pee section in a swimming pool. Eventually the pee will be present in the entire pool.

So, in it's current form, I do not support it at all, because all that's happening is that everybody is being inconvenienced, people are losing money and their livelihood, as well as the already fragile economy that is suffering.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Yes. The spread is minimal, and we are gearing up and getting ready for a nasty fight. A few more weeks before winter would be very beneficial. If by end of next week the number of cases have decreased - Then yes - back to normal. But still stop incoming flights. If it spikes and we start seeing the real shock - lock it down.

zulucat

Let's say 50 000 people die every year from driving cars, do you see us banning cars?

Many many more people are going to lose their jobs etc than are likely going to die from SARS-COV-2....

Yes, hospitals etc are going to be over run in the short term, but where does one draw the line of economic damage (destroying lives) VS preserving a few lives?

So far there have been 9 deaths, how many thousands more have already lost their income and don't know if they'll be able to pay their bond? Or even feed their family by the end of the week?

I guess I'm lucky that ultimately this decision doesn't lie with me
More than 1200 people died in a space of 24 hours in the USA last week, are you so retarded that you can't see that if this thing is let to flourish, more than just 50k people will die, wake the f up, remove blinkers and see the bigger picture

Brian_G

Expert Member
More than 1200 people died in a space of 24 hours in the USA last week, are you so retarded that you can't see that if this thing is let to flourish, more than just 50k people will die, wake the f up, remove blinkers and see the bigger picture
USA population is huge, check how many of them die from flu.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I fully support an extended lock down. Let's save as many lives as possible. Italy was a learning curve, it would be unwise to relax restrictions.
Italy is one of the few exceptions, and still low compared to real pandemics.

Reactions: rh1