Do you support CCTV cameras around your neighbourhood?

Do you support CCTV cameras around your neighbourhood?

• Yes

Votes: 154 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 4.9%

• Total voters

Pablo37

On condition that the information remains confidential and cannot be sold or passed on to third parties. Unfortunately with the inclusion of ANPR capabilities (and facial recognition in the near future), the information is also extremely useful to commercial enterprises. If the operator is not strictly vetted and restricted as to what the information may be used for then it is open to abuse. Banks, debt collectors and politicians etc. can buy location and surveillance information for their own purposes. This would have little or no relevance to actual law enforcement or crime prevention and is unacceptable.

Electron1

Expert Member
Yes I support cameras. The question of who has access to them is important, but it has definitely assisted in crime prevention.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
My house, my rules, you can look if you want, but I'm not going to change just because you're looking..

That changes when you have little kids - I don't want some random perv I don't know having a video feed of my swimming pool.

Our "street committee" went down the camera path a few years back - sent out quotes ect - expecting owners to fork out thousands up front, and then monthly monitoring fees. The so called street capitain ignored my questions - and also ignored my request to be added to the street whatsapp group. So - no support - or money from me.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Happened to my dad - last picture he had was the guy stealing his outside camera while he was 120km away.

The cameras installed on the street posts do have anti-tamper mechanics and do have cross surveillance. There isn't enough time to do damage, the reaction will be too quick.

rambo919

Honorary Master
The cameras installed on the street posts do have anti-tamper mechanics and do have cross surveillance. There isn't enough time to do damage, the reaction will be too quick.
Not after load shedding for a few weeks on end....

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
The home solutions aren't complex enough but the tech on these street cams is almost scary.

I don't think people realise how quickly its growing and how available this tech is.

People who are worried about being tracked in their own neighbourhood don't understand that they are already being tracked everywhere else. That's why the crime is coming back to you, the baddies have moved on from other areas with cameras.

Also people assume that they will be able to see all the cameras.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
The home solutions aren't complex enough but the tech on these street cams is almost scary.

I don't think people realise how quickly its growing and how available this tech is.

People who are worried about being tracked in their own neighbourhood don't understand that they are already being tracked everywhere else. That's why the crime is coming back to you, the baddies have moved on from other areas with cameras.

Also people assume that they will be able to see all the cameras.

I been fiddling with objection detection and removal in my home assistant installation - it picked up an out of place mouse yesterday :D

Hoping to get some better hardware to try face recognition (known) and number plate recognition for my driveway

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I been fiddling with objection detection and removal in my home assistant installation - it picked up an out of place mouse yesterday :D

Hoping to get some better hardware to try face recognition (known) and number plate recognition for my driveway
What are you running this on ? Do you have PC to do the processing or is it part of the camera suite ?

Brianep

It is a great help in crime prevention especially when used with number plate recognition.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
What are you running this on ? Do you have PC to do the processing or is it part of the camera suite ?
HP Gen8, Tensorflow - but it really struggles and can only handle one 720p camera at almost a 100% cpu, I want to order a Coral to play around with
Genuine question: why all the excitement re. this?
For me it's more around patterns - and alerts for things that don't belong, e.g I'd like to be alerted of other cars in my driveway - not mine - or alerts of my car leaving the drive way when either I'm not home, or the alarm is in Sleep mode.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
For me it's more around patterns - and alerts for things that don't belong, e.g I'd like to be alerted of other cars in my driveway - not mine - or alerts of my car leaving the drive way when either I'm not home, or the alarm is in Sleep mode.
Fair enough and completely understandable...but none of that requires, or will be enhanced by, number plate recognition.