Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

• Yes

Votes: 234 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 410 63.7%

• Total voters

noxibox

Honorary Master
Shop workers are not dealing with 1000 undisciplined childern, 40 per class, that should be 20, for an hour at a time, are they?
Are lessons an hour these days? I'm a bit out of touch with the weird practices of mainstream schools. Anyway there is no way they're going through a thousand children per day. Additionally if the argument is that overcrowded classrooms are a risk, then that is an argument in favour of allowing schools to make the decision for themselves whether to stay open or close. There are plenty with much lower class sizes.

But they and their unions are bemoaning their choice, and no it is not more risky, till areas are open and well ventilated, classrooms are closed environments, especially in winter.
How many schools have no doors and windows in their classrooms? Again then let schools that can open doors and windows decide for themselves to continue teaching.

The classrooms at my children's school are all well ventilated. Doors and windows remain open, even in freezing cold weather.

noxibox

Honorary Master
There are a lot of whites still in public schools, so leave that kind of thinking behind.
It's more of a class thing. The middle/upper-middle class and above will be more likely to have their children in the better state schools or private school. Those better state schools also continued with education while schools were closed.

For the benefit of us who no longer have kids in school.
Did private schools heed to the original order to close?
Did they then open when they could for all standards?
Do they have normal holidays starting at the end of the month?
Yes, they heeded the order. Ours were already in the process of a migration to digital - for lesson plans, children's weekly schedules, submission of assignments and so on. So it only took them a couple of weeks to be up and running with live video lessons and finalising their online system.

They had everything set up and were ready to open weeks before the government finally gave permission for schools to open. They opened for all grades from R up. The preschool section re-opened as soon as the government was ordered to allow them to open.

They're mostly sticking to their original term dates. I think the mid-year holiday was shortened a bit to make up for the week or so lost at the beginning of term 2. They loosely follow the South African curriculum, but their methods allow them to be very flexible about what they teach when.

When the schools closed way back in march it was all schools, public, private, nursery and even home schools because they made a school holiday.
They couldn't really close home schools. Even under normal circumstances they can't dictate when home schoolers take holidays.

Its hard to tell which holidays are which because things have been shuffled so much. Basically this current break is actually the Christmas holiday as all the other holidays have taken place already.
Even in state schools this doesn't apply to every school. Some never took a break. The children continued to study from home.

Kids will mostly shrug it of, the parents with, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart issues, asthma, etc. are not likely to "shrug" it of.
Those parents have always had the option to keep their children at home. Or is it that they don't want to have to continue their child's education at home, so they want all the schools closed for all children? I'm betting the parents with that sort of attitude also have no clue how much harm they're doing their children.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Are lessons an hour these days? I'm a bit out of touch with the weird practices of mainstream schools. Anyway there is no way they're going through a thousand children per day. Additionally if the argument is that overcrowded classrooms are a risk, then that is an argument in favour of allowing schools to make the decision for themselves whether to stay open or close. There are plenty with much lower class sizes.

How many schools have no doors and windows in their classrooms? Again then let schools that can open doors and windows decide for themselves to continue teaching.

The classrooms at my children's school are all well ventilated. Doors and windows remain open, even in freezing cold weather.

You and your children can count yourselves fortunate.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Mine, and the schools in the area, originally closed for 3 days which later became 1 day because 3 days took too much teaching time away. Which province/district are you in because that's a long time?
The deep cleaning requirement is a ridiculous waste of time and money. Someone shows symptoms and suddenly a school, shop or office needs deep cleaning? Even more stupid is requiring businesses to deep clean an office that has been closed for months. They actually wanted us to do that. Schools were forced to do it too before re-opening even though no-one had been there.

noxibox

Honorary Master
You and your children can count yourselves fortunate.
They have to wrap up and moaned about the cold initially. But they were given the choice of continuing to learn from home or going back to school and dealing with all the inconveniences. They chose to go back to school.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Tell that to the crowd here, they tell you that after infection, rules say they have to sanitize, whether they have to wait 10 days for sanitization crew to do there thing. Rules is rules ... , and they do not say, that if you close for 10 days you, no longer need to sanitize. So they sanitize, regardless.
Like when they washed the road at the Bree street taxi rank? I still remember that with many lol's.