Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

• Yes

Votes: 234 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 410 63.7%

• Total voters

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Definitely no. Children are the least vulnerable group. Closing schools from the beginning was idiotic. A child litterally has a much bigger chance of dying on the way to school than dying from Covid, yet we all take that risk when we put our children in the car with us. Mankind has become utterly retarded.
Look, I can see why they closed the schools in the beginning and although it was premature things were getting scary globally. A month later they should have realised that there was not much point in closing all the schools (especially private and ECD's). At 4 months we know that its ridiculous to keep the schools closed.

At worst they should consider it on a province by province basis. There may be a case for some parts of the country to still look at a hard lock down for a week or so but the rest should be de-escalating. I can't see why schools are closed at all in the smaller provinces. Especially because of the feeding schemes and how so many of these kids are missing out on that. Its neglect pure and simple.

infoseeker

My two grandchildren (1 & 3 yrs old) stayed with us every day from the start of the pandemic till 2 weeks ago. They were sent back to school last week and by Friday both had developed bad coughs and snotty noses. All precautions were taken, etc., etc. They are now back with us this week because of that. Their temperatures are both below 37ºC.

Xarelto

I am as unsure as the klutzes running the show. Anyhow, not up to me, the unions will decide.

DrHasntLost

No, I think it is totally Irelivant, if they Do or Don't.... the Educational System has collapsed in this country.
When pass rates have been dropped, year after year , down to 30% , grooming semi Illiterate kids, who have No
Chance of finding a job, Cus there aren't any, and they are Unemployable anyway.
Unless of course , they go into Politics on the Gravy Train.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see the school’s governing bodies are supporting to stay open. Under these circumstances, it could be assumed that most teachers/lecturers are willing to teach/lecture. In which capacity they would wish to teach and or lecture is unknown, but seeing the governing bodies electing to stay open would mean it is supportive to have teachers and pupils physically attend.

So… who is then riling up the unions? The EFF called it premeditated murder…

Vee007

Yes and no. Why can the teacher not be screened properly every day? Otherwise a definite no.

roedolf91@gmail.com

Yes,

The entire school year should close and EVERYONE strat new next year.
That means all grade 1's will be 8 yo and not 7 anymore

comanche

My two grandchildren (1 & 3 yrs old) stayed with us every day from the start of the pandemic till 2 weeks ago. They were sent back to school last week and by Friday both had developed bad coughs and snotty noses. All precautions were taken, etc., etc. They are now back with us this week because of that. Their temperatures are both below 37ºC.
Sane here. Over 100 days at home, no cold. After the first week back, snotty nose. No fever. No other symptoms. Back to normal 3 days later.

W.Salie

Difficult question because some schools are better managed then others, that being said my kids have been going to school since it reopened and it seems fine however they can't guarantee the safety and that the kids will not get the virus so why not offer virtual classes for those matrics who cant afford it and the kids can have the classes and schooling as normal, virtually. i know that many can't afford it but I'm sure there are ways that this can be done like why can't big corporations donate laptops and receive a tax break, these laptops can then be donated to those who don't have. Pertaining data likewise the service providers could get a tax break for offering wifi or lte to the respective students so it can be done. South Africa appeared on the list of countries with the highest covid19 cases around 6 July 2020 and at the time we were 8th or 9th in the world by 21 July we were rated the 5th highest country with covid19 cases in the world just 2 weeks later so If dont do something soon things are going to get worse. Safety first

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Can you send me your address please. I'll drop my kids off tomorrow for you to look after.

What exactly must we cancel ? What must essential services workers do with their kids ? The last 3 months has been insane a complete failure at home with kids bored and parents stressing. Can't take them out, can't get care for them, can't just leave them in the corner to kill themselves.

I don't give a flying f about the school year, there are a million other options available other than closing the schools again. Kids are the least at risk and don't get infected as easily, there are cold hard facts around this.

I love and respect the people who teach our kids on a daily basis but its time for them to step up. Every one else is doing their jobs and putting themselves at risk. Time for them to do the same.
That is a respectable standpoint. As a single person who had not thought of that I'm glad you shared it.

My Dog Charlie

Difficult one to answer with the government not having a clue where the virus is going to strike next and completely unable to control the hot spots as it is. The lease number of persons gathering is about the only correct step at this time. The only safe time to open schools again will be when there is a safe and plentiful supply of a functional vaccine made freely publicly available.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Too late. and pointless when the three biggest super spreading events continue unabated:

1. 100% filled taxis
2. Mass attendance at funerals
3. Church Services
Also true. I'd say schools are on par with any of those as I usually get my yearly sniffle from colleagues who have kids who get it from school, but it is a solid point for sure. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. And this state of affairs make it more like Christmas tinsel. Without the cheer.

SteelBlue

Teachers should report for duty irrespective of the schools being open or not.
These union members just want a paid holiday at home.
If the schools are closed for learners the teachers can do in service training to try and improve
their teaching abilities or lack there of.
I say the schools should stay open to the learners who want to learn!