Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

• Yes

Votes: 234 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 410 63.7%

• Total voters

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Teacher unions come first, children (who can’t vote) come last.
The DA does not support the decision by President Ramaphosa to close schools for four weeks.

President Ramaphosa has bent the knee to all-powerful teachers’ unions, in particular SADTU, who do not have the best interests of learners at heart. This is not leadership. President Ramaphosa is behaving like a “spectator President”, taking instructions from whichever powerful interest group threatens him more.

This decision is not supported by the best available evidence, it is not supported by education experts, and it is not supported by the virus data. The scientific evidence is that schools do not expose learners and staff to higher levels of risk than any other places.

Closing schools will have a devastating effect on children for years to come. It will make inequality in our society worse. The school year will be further disrupted and may be compromised altogether. Many learners will drop out and never return or will fall behind to the point that they can never catch up. School feeding schemes will be further compromised. Schools will be vandalized. As education is compromised, so poverty will go up, along with the suffering and loss of life that accompanies that. Let us be under no illusion: poverty kills.

The announcement tonight was lacking in necessary detail, leaving parents without the information they need to plan for the disruption of the weeks ahead.

Of course, parents choosing to keep their children at home should be allowed to do so. But many parents need to go back to work at a time when jobs are scarce. The evidence is that learners practice better physical distancing and hygiene measures at school than they do outside school (where they may be unsupervised while parents are at work).

After four weeks of school closures, the virus will still be there. What happens then? Do we succumb meekly to extensions, even as government keeps on failing to build testing or treatment capacity?

But let us not be under any illusions. The ANC government’s decision to close schools has nothing to do with ensuring the safety of South Africa’s children or teachers and everything to do with ensuring the survival of the ANC and its incapable state.

This decision underscores the ANC’s indifference to the fate of South Africa’s children. It comes not even a week after the Pretoria High Court found that the basic education minister and the eight ANC provincial education heads had breached their constitutional duty by freezing the school feeding scheme.

Instead of an education and a bright future, the ANC is bequeathing our children debt, hunger, and ignorance.

:thumbsup:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't think I have anything more to add to this other than mentioning this,

National authorities can facilitate a risk-based approach at the local level by offering standard operating procedures or checklists for schools, based on local epidemiology and conditions.

that part alone within the WHO's recommendations goes against what Ramaphosa said about their recommendations. I have said it since the beginning, those advocating against education under these circumstances don't have anything to bring to the table other than cancelling education. People bloody well know that the ANC won't be able to remedy their shortcomings within 4 weeks.

Your child's education is now totally with the ANC and those who advocate against the right to basic education. It is a shame branded on our human rights.

I am done discussing this. All I want now is this matter to be settled constitutionally.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Ramaphosa made his decision based on the stakeholders input and what WHO deemed as neccessary, but this is the WHO document,

so why don't we keep schools (and the schools within communities) open which have met the measures?

The warning as made by WHO,

the unions made the decision.

I am saying it now, now with the school year extended into the next year, the year can be assumed as cancel. By the time the 4 weeks is over the unions will again punt the situation as peak time.

The ANC and their cohorts are now deliberately cancelling our society.
I think that this is the worst part. The unions forced the governments hand on this, the decision was in no way based on what the doctors have said.

Its a complete cop out anyway because what will 4 weeks do ? If things were that bad that we needed the closure then how would 4 weeks disruption be effective ?

Cyril has been completely limp dicked on this, he should have just pushed back and let each province decide.
Each province is in a completely different state of progression, WC has peaked, GP are still peaking as are the EC and some of the other provinces have less than 5k infections... why would a single solution work for the entire country ?

I suppose the only thing is that in another 4 weeks the WC numbers will be so low they can just ignore the government orders.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So I was wrong. They did it.
And I'm ticked off.
I thought I would be more angry.

As long as the ECD's are excluded I can endure 4 weeks. I'm far from happy but a part of me is happy they didn't make this indefinite and that this also exposed Cyrils limp dickedness.

Eyenstyn

If a cashier at a store can serve 100 or more customers a day wearing a shield or face mask, why can’t other services do the same.

Our proximity while purchasing goods is a good indication that other services can exist in a confined space with movement around us.

The pragmatism in approaching a virus that can seep through masks and contaminate everything and lay dormant in items and in humans, there are no real safe measures, just prohibitions.

IkilledSpongebob

Close ASAP, only reopen sufficiently past the Covid-19 peak as local transmissions subside.
In the meantime use online learning tools. virtually everyone has access to mobile now. Subsidise or zero rate where necessary, educational data and learning channels. It is there, use it.

fredeb

No , keep them open - we need to live !

If a cashier at a store can serve 100 or more customers a day wearing a shield or face mask, why can’t other services do the same.

Our proximity while purchasing goods is a good indication that other services can exist in a confined space with movement around us.

The pragmatism in approaching a virus that can seep through masks and contaminate everything and lay dormant in items and in humans, there are no real safe measures, just prohibitions.
Exactly !

The Door

Honorary Master
Kicking the can down the road again.

I'd only support this if our hypocritical government put their money where their mouth is with the taxi industry.

Veneficus

DA is talking sense about the schools needing to be open

If you want to keep your kids at home go ahead you already have the right to do so
If you are a teacher who is too scared to go to work fine I believe they should not fire you
But they should also not pay you while you are at home by your own or your unions choice

Veneficus

Close ASAP, only reopen sufficiently past the Covid-19 peak as local transmissions subside.
In the meantime use online learning tools. virtually everyone has access to mobile now. Subsidise or zero rate where necessary, educational data and learning channels. It is there, use it.
Few options about your post
I am assuming you are working from home then and seem to believe that everyone else with kids are working from home and able to continue doing so?

Alternatively you believe it is good idea to get someone else who possibly drove in a Taxi with multiple other people to take care of your kids at home and you are easily able to pay them

Or are you one of those people that believes that kids from 0-10 can easily be left at home alone?

Proper schools is far more capable of taking proper steps to help prevent transmission
And hey if the kids catch it then it is not the worst thing since they are quite safe so you only need to worry about the older people in the house
And if your house is filled with high risk people then once again you have the right to keep your kids at home

Last edited:

axsis

Not sure why teachers are so scared, shop workers have been at work the entire lockdown...

Veneficus

Lupus is nailing it on the head
If you can sit at home for the next 6 months without doing anything and your work will continue paying you
Would you prefer to go to work?

Allot of people in SA would rather sit at home or would be out with their friends
Those teachers who wants this is seeing a free long term holiday

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Sure, as long as:
a) unionised teachers get furloughed at say 50% pay. Then we'll see how quickly they change their tune on this!
b) the academic year is NOT cancelled and every effort is made to get learning content to all pupils
c) OR only close those schools where the students have no means of continuing their studies from home
d) OR allow students who can't study from home to still come in to school, let the rest study from home.

Online classes, for my Foster Son take the form of whats apped homework and nothing more ...

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I said that Cyril doesn't have the balls to take on the taxi industry, in other words they can do whatever they want. Then you said that it can be argued that the majority uses taxis to earn a living as if they are justified in their ways. They are not.

Why can people sit in full taxis with no social distancing daily but schools can't be open? Majority of schools can safely keep social distancing. It makes no sense other than that Cyril doesn't have the balls to get the taxi industry to also comply to social distancing.

Cyril did take on the industry and created restrictions, which was a monumental failure.
It's one of those things that can't be controlled so rather leave and hope for the best.
Allowing people the opportunity to work amidst the crises exceeds alleged bowing down to the taxis.

Closing schools is not a solution because mainly it is going to be schools catering for blacks that will be closed. Private schools catering for whites and rich blacks will remain open. Black children will roam the streets and malls and get infected. White learners and children of the rich blacks will continue to learn. The rich will become richer and the poor poorer. Cosas, sadtu and other mainly black teachers unions will celebrate that as an achievement. A breakthrough actually.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Not sure why teachers are so scared, shop workers have been at work the entire lockdown...

Shop workers are not dealing with 1000 undisciplined childern, 40 per class, that should be 20, for an hour at a time, are they?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My one kid is pissed because their school gets one week less time off than the public schools. :ROFL:

ijacobs3

Expert Member
This virus wont go anywhere, the sooner we stop hiding from it, and learn to live with it, the better off we will be

Lupus

Honorary Master
Closing schools is not a solution because mainly it is going to be schools catering for blacks that will be closed. Private schools catering for whites and rich blacks will remain open. Black children will roam the streets and malls and get infected. White learners and children of the rich blacks will continue to learn. The rich will become richer and the poor poorer. Cosas, sadtu and other mainly black teachers unions will celebrate that as an achievement. A breakthrough actually.
There are a lot of whites still in public schools, so leave that kind of thinking behind.