Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

Do you support closing schools at the end of July?

• Yes

Votes: 234 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 410 63.7%

• Total voters

Lupus

Honorary Master
This virus wont go anywhere, the sooner we stop hiding from it, and learn to live with it, the better off we will be
I've been saying this since the beginning, but everyone was sooooo scared and some still seem to be so sad.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
I've been saying this since the beginning, but everyone was sooooo scared and some still seem to be so sad.

Nope not going anywhere - but gummint must decide if it wants to lick down or open up. Open up, then schools open, and stay open. Not the current bull, open 4 days - some one tests positive, close for a week, for "sanitation" open a week, close another week for sanitation. Open the schools, and leave them open regardless - or write the year off.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
For the benefit of us who no longer have kids in school.
Did private schools heed to the original order to close?
Did they then open when they could for all standards?
Do they have normal holidays starting at the end of the month?

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

No idea, but the current, open one week, closed for sanitization for a week, 10 days, cycle currently just are not good enough. Lost half the year already, and then loose half of what is left, due to sanitization requirements. Then they need not bother opening. Just enriching the sanitization blokes.

Lupus

Honorary Master
A lot of private schools opened for most of their grades and followed protocols, they also didn't close for a week, they would close for maybe a day for resanitation if there was a case.
A few private smaller schools remained on online only.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
A lot of private schools opened for most of their grades and followed protocols, they also didn't close for a week, they would close for maybe a day for resanitation if there was a case.
A few private smaller schools remained on online only.

Public schools around here, close a week, 10 days for sanitization. My guess is the sanitization crowded are way overbooked. Those that are not BEE need not apply it seems.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Public schools around here, close a week, 10 days for sanitization. My guess is the sanitization crowded are way overbooked. Those that are not BEE need not apply it seems.
10 days for sanitation what? That's ridiculous, after 10 days there is no need to sanitize.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
10 days for sanitation what? That's ridiculous, after 10 days there is no need to sanitize.

Tell that to the crowd here, they tell you that after infection, rules say they have to sanitize, whether they have to wait 10 days for sanitization crew to do there thing. Rules is rules ... , and they do not say, that if you close for 10 days you, no longer need to sanitize. So they sanitize, regardless.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
When the schools closed way back in march it was all schools, public, private, nursery and even home schools because they made a school holiday.
Then when the government started opening the schools to gr7 and 12 the private schools were allowed to do what they wanted. Many chose to just open and alternate classes on different days. The ECD's (Gr R and nursery schools ) were ignored but told not to go back even if private.

About 3 weeks ago they allowed EDC's to open (after court action) and last week the last of the public school grades returned, so most kids were back at school. The WC did things slightly different and didn't follow national guidelines but also staggered the return of each grade.

Its hard to tell which holidays are which because things have been shuffled so much. Basically this current break is actually the Christmas holiday as all the other holidays have taken place already.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I supported schools closed a month back...

Kids school had 10 in a class, own desks, own desk shields, sanitizers - the works.
They eat and play in a hoola hoop outside.

We get a message on the class group, another kid has put their jersey and other clothes in ANOTHER kids bag.
I just laughed. Kids cannot social distance.

Never sent my kid back to school when it opened, as she's a bit asthmatic...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Latest evidence says that the even the had washing is useless. There is no proof that surface transfer even happens. Before that they were saying that no virus can survive longer than 4 days on a surface.
This sanitisation is a complete scam.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

Kids school had 10 in a class, own desks, own desk shields, sanitizers - the works.

We get a message on the class group, another kid has put their jersey and other clothes in ANOTHER kids bag.

Kids will be Kids ...

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Latest evidence says that the even the had washing is useless. There is no proof that surface transfer even happens. Before that they were saying that no virus can survive longer than 4 days on a surface.
This sanitisation is a complete scam.

Whole response to the virus is a scam.

Lupus

Honorary Master

It's a good thing that kids will mostly shrug it off, now it's the rest of the population in SA who can't seem to social distance.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
It's a good thing that kids will mostly shrug it off, now it's the rest of the population in SA who can't seem to social distance.

Kids will mostly shrug it of, the parents with, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart issues, asthma, etc. are not likely to "shrug" it of.

SYNERGY

Executive Member

True. I drove past a the local jondol (spelling?!) and it's completely normal/pre-corona. Not a mask in sight...
Not that I expect it's easy for them with the space constraint, but at least try using a freakin mask...