Do you support President Cyril Ramaphosa’s lockdown easing plan?

Do you support President Cyril Ramaphosa’s lockdown easing plan?

• Yes

Votes: 31 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 109 77.9%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you support President Cyril Ramaphosa’s plan to lower the lockdown from level 4 to level 3 in most parts of the country by the end of May, and keep areas with high COVID-19 infection rates at level 4?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Two weeks too late in my opinion. And certain parts just won't work.

WAslayer

Expert Member
At the very least, stop the ridiculous restrictions on things we can and cannot buy.. Allow those stores which can trade, to sell whatever they have.. if they run out of stock for a particular product for which the supply chain does not yet operate, so be it..

Allow all e-commerce traders to operate, for delivery only..

Also, allow me to f*ing move when my transfer is finally lodged in the next few days in or so...

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Do you support President Cyril Ramaphosa’s plan to lower the lockdown from level 4 to level 3 in most parts of the country by the end of May, and keep areas with high COVID-19 infection rates at level 4?
What plan? There's zero plan...

And if they will keep the areas with highest cases ( due to highest testing) at Level 4, the economy WILL remain at a standstill.

Dropping Calvinia to Level 3 will help no one...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Plan? Since when is a vague possibility of a level reduction a plan?

And why wait a further two weeks? Is the country not quite screwed enough?

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Stupid Twats. Looking at a potatoe, it has a higher IQ than the whole government put together.

Moto Guzzi

I admit the letters "P,L,A,N" does exist in the alphabet.

Lebs1972

When we went into level 5 on the 26 March, there were zero fatalities. The majority agreed agreed with the president. In fact he wast highly praised. Today more than 200 are death and the number is rising on a daily basis. The smart ones feel the best thing to do is pretend things are normal and hope for the best. All this with the deadly peak still to come. The president appears to be succumbing to corporate pressure

axsis

When we went into level 5 on the 26 March, there were zero fatalities. The majority agreed agreed with the president. In fact he wast highly praised. Today more than 200 are death and the number is rising on a daily basis. The smart ones feel the best thing to do is pretend things are normal and hope for the best. All this with the deadly peak still to come. The president appears to be succumbing to corporate pressure
You realise the major hospitals are empty, there is no pandemic, there is no looming peak. There's a severe flu-like illness that will kill some people. 200 dead is nothing in terms of other communicable diseases in South Africa, over 1200 per week on average is what you're looking at for the highly contagious TB.

Most countries have seen that their cases and severe cases have eased to the point where they've dropped measures or are in the process of doing so. As far as I know only Spain and South Africa have these extreme lockdowns. Proportionally we are no worse off than Denmark which will end its lockdown measure by the end of next month.

It's also not a case of 'pretending things are normal' it's a case of you can only attempt a lockdown for so long. The benefit is diminished the longer you go on, why? Because you keep the virus active for longer and you delay any herd immunity (which most other countries are quickly approaching according to current research). Delaying herd immunity prevents the vulnerable from being safe from the virus which will result in more deaths.

Additionally, the economic damage with have far-reaching consequences from suicide, to lack of medical screening and treatments resulting in unintended deaths. Already predicting that there may be an increase in cancer deaths in the UK due to lockdown (the same would be true here).

The president has lied to the public about the coronavirus pandemic, countries that have locked down and those that did not have had essentially similar outcomes. The death rate for this virus is severe at roughly 0.1-0.3% but it is not cause for imposing house arrest and destroying numerous livelihoods.

When you wake up to the reality that this will probably result in an economic depression and that carries severe consequences, then you'll quickly sing a different tune.

Edit: Corrected TB deaths per week from 200 to 1200 (2018 deaths used).

Last edited:

3WA

Executive Member
If other parts of Gauteng drop to level 3 before the metros, we are all going to get arrested with liquor on the West Rand/Sedibeng boundaries. So would you rather have the populace of your most productive metros sick or in jail?

Groen92

Plan? Since when is a vague possibility of a level reduction a plan?

And why wait a further two weeks? Is the country not quite screwed enough?
No, the catastrophe isn't ripe enough yet.

Drifter

Honorary Master
At the very least, stop the ridiculous restrictions on things we can and cannot buy.. Allow those stores which can trade, to sell whatever they have.. if they run out of stock for a particular product for which the supply chain does not yet operate, so be it..

Allow all e-commerce traders to operate, for delivery only..

Also, allow me to f*ing move when my transfer is finally lodged in the next few days in or so...
You are allowed to move.

WAslayer

Expert Member
You are allowed to move.
I wish.. only those people who had the deeds office register their transfer before lockdown started are allowed to move.. my transfer was lodged the Monday same week lockdown started and was of course never registered before then..

Estate agent can't give me an answer as to what happens with occupational rent, when it's registered shortly and while we are still not allowed to move.. can't afford to pay the new bond and occupational rent at the same time...