Do you support the government’s current lockdown strategy?

Do you support the government’s current lockdown strategy?

• Yes

Votes: 45 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 272 85.8%

• Total voters

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Why don't we just dedicate big part of Sunday to everyone over 50 years old? And remove the lockdown, aim for slowed down herd immunity. Except for physical distancing and group gatherings, allow family to visit each other once a week or just put the guideline there. At everyone's own discretion (must ask permission)

That way the elderly can go the beaches, visit parks do their shopping and whatever they want and mostly avoid the younger working class. Could make sure the Staff on Duty that Sunday is different from the day before.
Because people are autonomous creatures. You can't tell a thinking adult what they can and can't do and how often to do it. Enforcing this is impossible and results in toddlers being kidnapped by rogue traffic police. That's why you have to rely on people making their own informed choices.

The ANC already has hegemony in the minds of the masses, so they can issue sensible guidelines to people and they will be followed. Anything else is Soviet propaganda and control.

martinvictor

It would be much more bearable if cigarettes, alcohol and hot food were available and if exercising were also allowed in late afternoon and evening. A

Reactions: 3WA

ReggaeBoyz

Is there anyone that thinks that people are currently following the rules that have been imposed?

As soon as the money stopped coming in people started making plans and are willing to circumvent the "rules" to ensure that they can put food on the table. You weigh up the risks versus rewards and make your decision.

There is nowhere enough enforcement to be able to enforce these rules and the only reason that everyone complied for the first 3 weeks was that they actually believed what was being said.

The subsequent irrational decision making processes have meant that the NCC has lost the moral high ground and they have lost support for their rules.

I cannot see that they can ever regain the same compliance they had at the start of the lockdown as more and more people go to bed hungry.

martinvictor

Today I read in Daily Maverick a thing written up by a project manager in the Presidency about how the lockdown has worked:

There were several logical flaws in it, but mostly it was about how dangerous COVID-19 is and how the government really just has peoples' best interests at heart.

This despite a growing number of statements by both economists and medical people that we actually DON'T have that much to worry about, we should take stronger measures to protect the elderly but most of us should just carry on with our lives.

The thought occurred to me to wonder whether this isn't a modern equivalent of the "Rooi gevaar" that the old regime used to worry about - something that wasn't actually that much of a threat, but it's a good way to stir up fear in the populace, which makes them easier to keep under your thumb.

Perhaps it's too extreme a thought? Maybe I judge them unfairly. But from where I'm sitting (hehe, same place I've been sitting for the past eight weeks now) it's looking like a fairly good view.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Implementation has been (predictably) iffy but at least we have leadership that is listening to science and following the data (such as it is.)

They could have completely schit the bed like some developed nations leadership has and they have not. I'm OK with how things have gone, under the circumstances.

We have a very loud group of people online who cannot control their emotions wrt to lockdown but those same groups are also unhappy with anything, they'll have their chance to whine about lack of lockdown in a couple of weeks - Wuhan has seen resurgence of infections after reopening the economy as has the USA. We are about to see our first real wave so it's a long road for us still. No one can know for sure what has or hasn't worked yet.

Skoffy2019

Fear is the problem - I live with comorbidities that put me at a higher risk of getting seriously ill, yet can see that this lockdown is doing more harm to millions of people than the virus ever will.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Yes, and no. It's working, but in execution its now starting to become a mess.
Correction - it WAS working. The first 21 days I really do support. Good idea. Good choice. Brave. Now all evidence is pointing to "no use in extending it".

rustypup

Expert Member
at least we have leadership that is listening to science and following the data (such as it is.)
BS. Again

COVID-19 has not bucked the trend in infections over the other Coronavirus variants. The new trick is the escalation from symptomatic, which requires that you actually be susceptible, to viral pneumonia. Again, something specific to the historical risk cohorts.

We locked up the entirety of the country instead of managing exposure to those in the risk cohorts, which contain the least economically active and are likely already required to be cautious.

None of this was rational. It was reactionary and politically motivated.

Applauding the destruction of our embattled economy as "sensible" is just plain delusional.

Xarelto

Moderation in formulation and implementation is the key. The President should act on the advice of his scientific and economic advisors, and not delegate any function to the bunch of buffoons that make up the Coronavirus council.
Imagine Cele and Motormouth on your board.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
BS. Again

COVID-19 has not bucked the trend in infections over the other Coronavirus variants. The new trick is the escalation from symptomatic, which requires that you actually be susceptible, to viral pneumonia. Again, something specific to the historical risk cohorts.

We locked up the entirety of the country instead of managing exposure to those in the risk cohorts, which contain the least economically active and are likely already required to be cautious.

None of this was rational. It was reactionary and politically motivated.

Applauding the destruction of our embattled economy as "sensible" is just plain delusional.

Shem.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
I supported a lock-down in the beginning. Then they extended it, and then they went into this staged approach. Currently level 4 which is damned near as restriction as the original terms - Which were the strictest in the world. Literally the strictest. In the world.
The current rules are still comparatively restrictive, if not still the most restrictive in the world.

Such a state of affairs should never have been allowed for so long. The initial 3 weeks of ultra strict lock-downs should have only served as breathing room for government to come up with an actual viable strategy and response. I mean 3 weeks! That's a lot of time for hard working people.

And if they couldn't do that, realistically, within the paradigm that is South Africa, then they are just wasting everybody's time and futures. Like usual.
If they thought the virus could be stopped dead in it's tracks with a lock-down then that was a travesty of naivety among those who are supposed to effectively lead our country. It would speak of near imbecility to be honest. Did they even consider that even if such a turn of events could have come about, then it would have required us to keep our borders and ports closed until an effective vaccine comes along? Something that is not even possible with our leaky borders. To prevent a restart of the outbreak.

An impossible course.

I support a staged approach, but they are just not good at making sensible stages, and too unresponsive to effectively manage time-frames. Too many rules do not make practical sense, or are utterly patronising. And too strict for too long with crazy rules. Massive, ruthless effort to enforce restrictions around small personal freedom issues vs giant gaping problems for containment leading from the rules such as the ridiculously large crowds of people waiting for food and sassa aid with very little protection and testing, and an increase in illicit trading. I believe many hot spots of the spread in SA have been directly due to the illicit trade of goods as opposed to normal regulated trade.

You don't use a flame thrower to kills fleas in your home, and you don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:

Iainh

What Democratic Strategy? for we live in a supposed democracy Not a policed state.
Remember they are earning the bucks through us as taxpayers.
I at the moment am a Consultant and cannot work. No work No Income.
It is not a matter of if you get Covid 19 more a matter of when.
The Health service has had the a*se ripped out of it over 25 Years. So it cannot cope.
Whatever level we go to We are still a policed state.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
What Democratic Strategy? for we live in a supposed democracy Not a policed state.
Remember they are earning the bucks through us as taxpayers.
I at the moment am a Consultant and cannot work. No work No Income.
It is not a matter of if you get Covid 19 more a matter of when.
The Health service has had the a*se ripped out of it over 25 Years. So it cannot cope.
Whatever level we go to We are still a policed state.
Well put re the health service having its arse ripped out. This is true. There was a time when you could go to a public hospital with peace of mind.

garp

Executive Member
It is not a "lockdown strategy". It is a full scale assault on economic and personal freedom which has no relation to the science and data behind Covid-19, and everything to do with spite and/or ideology.