Do you support the new ban on alcohol sales?

Do you support the new ban on alcohol sales?

• Yes

Votes: 300 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 647 68.3%

• Total voters

Cius

Executive Member
If the alcohol ban and curfew was in place a week ago my car would probably not have been written off at 2AM last Thursday when that drunk idiot crashed through the back gate of our complex and then smashed my car into a wall. Very happy to support the ban.

requiem

Expert Member
If the alcohol ban and curfew was in place a week ago my car would probably not have been written off at 2AM last Thursday when that drunk idiot crashed through the back gate of our complex and then smashed my car into a wall. Very happy to support the ban.
So should we ban knives because some people use it to kill others?

Should we ban swimming pools because some people drown?

Should we ban sugar because many people die from diabetes?

Should we ban the internet because of girls being trafficked on it?

Why is the alcohol ban acceptable and not the others?

geezer

Expert Member
No, but it was unfortunately reintroduced because of people that did not consume responsibly. I remember the news report of a person on a motorcycle that was killed by a drunk driver before noon the first day alcohol went on sale again.

Any person that put up a "shocked Cyril" face was very naïve if they thought this would not happen. I am not against alcohol, I had a yummy cold beer with my braai yesterday, but I will have to ration myself with what I have at the moment. The immediate ban wasn't entirely expected, but it was a kind of a dick move to announce it on a Sunday evening after the liquor stores closed on the previous Thursday afternoon.

WAslayer

Expert Member
No, but it was unfortunately reintroduced because of people that did not consume responsibly. I remember the news report of a person on a motorcycle that was killed by a drunk driver before noon the first day alcohol went on sale again.

Any person that put up a "shocked Cyril" face was very naïve if they thought this would not happen. I am not against alcohol, I had a yummy cold beer with my braai yesterday, but I will have to ration myself with what I have at the moment. The immediate ban wasn't entirely expected, but it was a kind of a dick move to announce it on a Sunday evening after the liquor stores closed on the previous Thursday afternoon.
The bigger dick move was the ban having already been gazetted by the time he gave his speech, so with immediate effect really meant exactly that..

Anti-Chris

It simply does not make sense... The experts say an 8 week ban will reduce hospital admissions by up to 50 000 cases... On the other hand 50 000 people are set to lose their jobs due to the ban...
The industry was already on its knees by the time the ban was lifted, it didn't have time to recover and now a new ban without warning...
At the company I work for, employees that were layed off only returned from the 1st of July. Now they will most probably be layed off again, this time it might be permanent and more of us might suffer that fate...

Cius

Executive Member

Because none of those things destroyed my car, I thought that was obvious!

ConfusedR

You can blame ignorant people who do not drink responsibly. Unfortunately, these people are the majority and their alcohol abuse is causing domestic violence, etc.
The hospitals' emergency rooms will not be able to cater for all this trauma. Would you want your friend, family member, loved one, whom has been diagnosed positive with covid-19 and in desperate need of a ventilator, be turned away from an emergency room because someone is already occupying the bed because of a drunken incident.

Neuk_

Expert Member
No, alcohol abuse is merely a symptom of a larger issue, alcohol itself is not the issue although I do somewhat understand the 'need' to ban it under the current circumstances. I don't fully believe that merely banning sales will result in people not drinking though.

Pox

Expert Member
You can blame ignorant people who do not drink responsibly. Unfortunately, these people are the majority and their alcohol abuse is causing domestic violence, etc.
The hospitals' emergency rooms will not be able to cater for all this trauma. Would you want your friend, family member, loved one, whom has been diagnosed positive with covid-19 and in desperate need of a ventilator, be turned away from an emergency room because someone is already occupying the bed because of a drunken incident.
You mean, turned away from the covid-19 specific rooms, that the hospitals have had over 3 months to get ready.

axsis

No you can't. You can blame a Government that believes it can control everyone's lives.

There's no proof these people are a majority. Also alcohol does not cause domestic abuse, domestic abusers abuse regardless of if they have alcohol or not. Hold individuals responsible for their actions, that's how democratic law actually works, what we have now is a totalitarian dictatorship.

Appeal to emotion is a lovely fallacy (also most who end up on a ventilator die anyway) but it's not the citizen's fault the Government has done next to nothing to increase ICU capacity in hospitals in over 100 days!

Edit: I've seen a lot of people saying to blame people who can't control their drinking, well those people need actual help. Addiction is a serious problem.