Do you take your annual leave in December?

Will you take your annual leave in Dec/Jan?

• Yes - company policy dictates

Votes: 107 29.9%
  • Yes - by choice

Votes: 71 19.8%
  • I take my leave throughout the year

Votes: 126 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 54 15.1%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you take your annual leave in December? Does your employer dictate when you can take leave or is it your choice?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Factory shuts down in December and a very few skeleton staff actually go to work to keep the lights on so to speak.

I am one of those, I do maintenance of equipment/machinery some fresh cctv installs, fix servers and so on for several weeks of December when it's nice and quiet then take those days the following year as I feel like it.

Ecko_1

I take about 2 weeks in December as my son is on holiday. But I also take a week in Sep/Oct and days scattered throughout the year.

Sepeng

Expert Member
With children, I prefer to take my leave when they're on holiday. So yes, I do take leave over December.
I've worked over this period in the past and yes it's quiet but everyone else is out there relaxing; plus when I come back January I've got very little to catch up on.
No we're not forced to take our leave now.

*Edit - I take the bulk of my leave in December, but take quarterly basically.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Just a few days... normally between xmas and nyear

Annual leave is generally in Feb

porchrat

Honorary Master
I choose to take my leave over December. My family are all on leave at a similar time. I get the nice weather to head to the beach and whatnot.

I get to drink too much over Christmas, spend time with the kids etc.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If I don't, I will be the only one working since my company closes for 10 working days

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Yes - by choice but not really. Its school holidays so have to look after kids.

Cius

Executive Member
Company does not shut down but we are encouraged to take some time off in Dec. I generally take 5 to 7 days off the week or two before Christmas. I am in IT though so we do have production support over Dec regardless and year end is a big deal so I prefer being around for the 31st as if something goes wrong and is not fixed right it leads to weeks of chaos. Prefer taking my big leave over the July holiday. We have to take 10 consecutive days once a year for fraud purposes.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Company does not shut down but we are encouraged to take some time off in Dec. I generally take 5 to 7 days off the week or two before Christmas. I am in IT though so we do have production support over Dec regardless and year end is a big deal so I prefer being around for the 31st as if something goes wrong and is not fixed right it leads to weeks of chaos. Prefer taking my big leave over the July holiday. We have to take 10 consecutive days once a year for fraud purposes.

You guys get 10 days a year to commit fraud? :p

Cius

Executive Member
You guys get 10 days a year to commit fraud? :p
Nope, the reserve bank says guys working on trading floors at banks have to take 10 days consecutive leave once a year as then you have to hand over your work to someone else for that period and that is when most fraud/misbehavior is picked up apparently. When I first joined the bank I thought it was the company caring about me and wanting us to have proper leave at least once a year. Man was I naïve!