Do you think cigarette sales should be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 821 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 69 7.8%

• Total voters

W.Salie

No, this is a great time to stop smoking. For most its a bad habit so stop and start looking at a healthy life

My Dog Charlie

Yes, the sale must be open again, but unfortuneately the 'Black' market has taken over. The same happened with the taxi industry, government too lazy to get the public transport services sorted out, thus allow for the rag tag and bobtail taxi business. We as a nation have lost the daily tax returns of R35m. Its going to take some mighty fancy marketing to get the market back into the tax revenue stream. Booze is going the same way, its an ANC protection racket for the few upper members of that political party to take the business away from the established LEGAL routes.

LJ7

I quit smoking more than 10 years ago and won't go back but this ban is idiotic. Only way it makes any sense is if some ministers are getting their pockets lined nicely from kickbacks for the illicit cigarette trade industry booming.

IkilledSpongebob

YES - and I don't smoke. Detest it.
Tobacco ban has turned into a farce of note.
I mean the illegal trade it's being exported/imported inside tankers. Every spaza shop sells them on the sly.
Loss of billions in tax revenue - Covid grants don't grow on trees.
Evidence is emerging that tobacco (nicotine) has something of a protective effect - I don't think this is "big tobacco" misinformation but that data has to be looked into.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
FIRST TAKE | Ramaphosa evades another opportunity to lead as he caves in to unions

President Cyril Ramaphosa opted to listen to the unions and career politicians rather than experts and scientists when he made the decision to close the country's public schools. He has yet again missed an opportunity to lead, writes Pieter du Toit.

PS: The economy is being ravaged, the tourism industry is collapsing and the hospitality industry imploding. Nationwide protests took place yesterday to try and bring the government to other insights. Ramaphosa did not once mention it. He did, however, say the government will continue to protect lives and livelihoods.

carolbyett

I'm not a smoker but even I see what harm this is doing to our economy.
Black market guys are smiling all the way to the bank!

cANCer Hater

I don’t smoke, but it’s more about human rights. We know it’s a blatant Zuma related corruption business. They don’t care about the excuse they’re losing out on as long as they line their own greedy pockets. B A T need to get tough with them.

Krayfish

The ban has caused a loss of 4 billion Rand in taxes thus far. That is R35 million per day. That is the contribution of smokers alone.

Now imagine what that could have funded by now.

The ban on selling cigarettes is a blatant lie. Nothing else.

TonytheNoble1

I feel for my smoker friends, this has to be the worst restriction in the world, with no logical reason other than the minister is anti-smoking.

PS. I am a non-smoker.

Vality

Yes.. I don't smoke but the govt had no right to ban them. It's ridiculous. Govt is losing tax which could have been used to help the economy during this time.

Surely Not

The ban has caused a loss of 4 billion Rand in taxes thus far. That is R35 million per day. That is the contribution of smokers alone.

Now imagine what that could have funded by now.

The ban on selling cigarettes is a blatant lie. Nothing else.
*Imagining* Oh yes, a few Nkaaaaandlaaa’s. Probably has anyway.