Do you think cigarette sales should be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 821 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 69 7.8%

• Total voters

Fred1969

The cigarette ban is substantiated by saying that it holds the potential to worsen the symptoms of Covid-19 in smokers. There is no data to support this. But, that's not even why I believe that the cigarette ban is a hoax. In my own case, the situation is as follows:
1) I still smoke (I now support the illegal cigarette trade- which I find disgusting)
2) I pay R60 a packet (which is a joke, taking into consideration that a packet costs R2.75 to produce and the illegal trade pays no taxes, so pockets every cent)
3) For me, something that has NOT been mentioned ANYWHERE so far. Beyond the fact that illegal cigarettes are disgusting in taste, I am FORCED to smoke cigarettes that are 12 times stronger, compared to what I am used to. I wake up every morning with major chest congestion and a soar throat. So yes, my health is actually being put at risk because of the cigarette ban.

Kobus de Kock

i agree. I would prefer it to be banned permanently.

It has no benefit and just harms thousands if not millions of people every year. If people do need to smoke or puff, rather do the Vaping route. But the normal smokes and cigarettes... definitely a NO.
The same can be said about chocolates. I gave up smoking 6 years ago, but haven't given up chocolates yet. Both have one benefit only - enjoyment.

Skoffy2019

Yes - also an ex-smoker but the economics are the reason, from the farmer to the end user.

davecreative

The cigarette ban is enabling criminal enterprise! It's also depriving the fiskus of billions of rand in taxes.

BoyBlue

Definitely, if someone wants to smoke or drink let them. The only things that should be strict are the laws on Curfew, drunk driving and public smoking, also restaurants should only sell takeaways.

CTPC

Yes, but total ban smoking in any public place or in cars.
You can only smoke at your house or in a special smoking area, but not in normal public.
We non smokers then don't have to smell it and there should be less butts thrown out of car windows.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yes, my wife is doing her nut. I can’t afford R1100 a carton for much longer...

j_perold

Yes, there is no medical or scientific evidence that it in any way poses a health risk related to the Rona. Corrupt officials making a killing on illegal sales is the only reason its banned. The illegal smokes people are smoking are also doing more damage, (not Rona related, but normal smokers damage) than the regulated smokes, as no one knows what chemicals and kak are in them. I have never smoked, but freedom of choice as well as the economy are at stake here.

annamarieo

smoking doesn't cause road accidents/gender violence and stressing out ICU'S/hospital beds like you and Government wants everyone to believe. More people are dying (even young fit people) not smoking compared to smokers. It seems that you might be in FULL support with alcohol, which causes road accidents/gender violence and taking up space in ICU'S / trauma centres etc. raping/killing/stealing as alcohol makes those who can't handle their drink in a responsible way, all of the above.

i agree. I would prefer it to be banned permanently.

It has no benefit and just harms thousands if not millions of people every year. If people do need to smoke or puff, rather do the Vaping route. But the normal smokes and cigarettes... definitely a NO.

Willeboer

Definitely yes. No idea why this was banned in the first place. Only country in the world with this stupid rule. I'm a pipe smoker, and getting clean pipe tobacco is becoming a challenge..