Do you think Donald Trump should have been banned from Facebook and Twitter?

Do you think Donald Trump should have been banned from Facebook and Twitter?

• Yes

Votes: 134 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 155 53.6%

• Total voters

C4Cat

Honorary Master
The slippery slope of what's not mainstream, it's banned. And mainstream these days is nothing more than a chosen/approved narrative of more private funding.
That's not the reality though. Twitter rules are quite clear, mainstream or not has nothing to do with it.

neoprema

Executive Member
I answered NO.

Not because i agree with that he says but because the move was clearly political and just further showed the alignment social media corporates have with political parties (in this case Facebook, Twitter and Dems are big pals)

greg0205

Honorary Master
I answered NO.

Not because i agree with that he says but because the move was clearly political and just further showed the alignment social media corporates have with political parties (in this case Facebook, Twitter and Dems are big pals)
Fakebook's top ten links in the US in the last 24 hours:

1. Franklin Graham
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Dan Bongino
5. Dan Bongino
6. NPR
7. Ben Shapiro
8. Ben Shapiro
9. Ben Shapiro
10. Ted Cruz

The 24 hours prior to that:

1. Ben Shapiro
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Fox News
5. ForAmerica
6. Dan Bongino
7. Sean Hannity
8. Dan Bongino
9. Fox News
10. The Rachel Maddow Show

1. Fox News
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Dan Bongino
4. CNN
5. Convention of States
6. lehighvalleylive
7. Dr. Ben & Candy Carson
8. My Modern Met
9. Ben Shapiro
10. The New York Times

1. Ben Shapiro
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Franklin Graham
5. The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond
6. Ben Shapiro
7. NPR
8. Ben Shapiro
9. ForAmerica
10. Ben Shapiro

1. Ben Shapiro
2. CBS Sports NBA
3. CBS
8 - San Diego News
4. Ben Shapiro
5. Fox News
6. Ben Shapiro
7. Ben Shapiro
8. Ben Shapiro
9. Dan Bongino
10. Ben Shapiro

I can do this all day... How far back would you like me to go?

neoprema

Executive Member
Fakebook's top ten links in the US in the last 24 hours:

1. Franklin Graham
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Dan Bongino
5. Dan Bongino
6. NPR
7. Ben Shapiro
8. Ben Shapiro
9. Ben Shapiro
10. Ted Cruz

1. Ben Shapiro
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Fox News
5. ForAmerica
6. Dan Bongino
7. Sean Hannity
8. Dan Bongino
9. Fox News
10. The Rachel Maddow Show

1. Fox News
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Dan Bongino
4. CNN
5. Convention of States
6. lehighvalleylive
7. Dr. Ben & Candy Carson
8. My Modern Met
9. Ben Shapiro
10. The New York Times

1. Ben Shapiro
2. Ben Shapiro
3. Ben Shapiro
4. Franklin Graham
5. The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond
6. Ben Shapiro
7. NPR
8. Ben Shapiro
9. ForAmerica
10. Ben Shapiro

1. Ben Shapiro
2. CBS Sports NBA
3. CBS
8 - San Diego News
4. Ben Shapiro
5. Fox News
6. Ben Shapiro
7. Ben Shapiro
8. Ben Shapiro
9. Dan Bongino
10. Ben Shapiro

I can do this all day... How far back would you like me to go?
No because you're showing output that an algorithm is processing for a site, not the intent of the owners of the systems and their political alliances and pressure to make overriding decisions.
If they changed all the links tomorrow to be Democrat-related it would be so obvious only a fool would do it. However when it came to crunch time with Trump and the pressure from their "party" colleagues they were happy to ride that bandwagon and ban him. Instead of being the independent social media platforms they lie to be.

greg0205

Honorary Master
No because you're showing output that an algorithm is processing for a site, not the intent of the owners of the systems and their political alliances and pressure to make overriding decisions.
If they changed all the links tomorrow to be Democrat-related it would be so obvious only a fool would do it. However when it came to crunch time with Trump and the pressure from their "party" colleagues they were happy to ride that bandwagon and ban him. Instead of being the independent social media platforms they lie to be.
"The intent of the owners of the systems"?

Zuck?

The guy who wouldn't fact-check a man who told 30 573 lies while in office, in the lead-up to election day?

The Fakebook–Cambridge Analytica guy?

That Zuck?

C4Cat

Honorary Master
However when it came to crunch time with Trump and the pressure from their "party" colleagues they were happy to ride that bandwagon and ban him. Instead of being the independent social media platforms they lie to be.
They banned him because he broke the rules. That's how it works. Not sure why you think Trump should get special treatment

neoprema

Executive Member
They banned him because he broke the rules. That's how it works. Not sure why you think Trump should get special treatment
Okay that's true - they've banned ALL political leaders who do that and have said anything that breaks their laws.

John Tempus

Executive Member

What a wonderful bubble you must be living in.

Iranian dictators commenting on death to America - not banned on twitter.
Politicians calling on death of cops - not banned on twitter.

Those are just the most absurd examples but don't let the actual facts about political motivations distract you.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
What a wonderful bubble you must be living in.

Iranian dictators commenting on death to America - not banned on twitter.
Politicians calling on death of cops - not banned on twitter.

Those are just the most absurd examples but don't let the actual facts about political motivations distract you.
And people still maintain twitter is blocking freedom of speech :rolleyes:

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Yes. That kind of political engagement on social media is a sickness. Worse if it's left open for foreign actors to interfere in domestic politics (which he actively encouraged).
Worse even if statements made seek to undermine the democratic processes of a country with lies (which he did - to it's core). Worse even than that if by a democratic representative. Worst if by a sitting president, the ultimate democratic representative, whose office, at least in that country, in theory only exists to protect democracy if all else fails.

Arguing for freedom of speech when it undermines way more important principles of freedom is bollocks. And, in the end the perception that freedom of speech means you can say anything you want is an utter misconception. Anybody can go and research any time they want what "freedom of speech" entails, and what it's limits are. There are many.

It was an unprecedented move, but he deserved it. Through and through. Plus neither facebook nor twitter are civil institutions. They are privately owned businesses. They most definitely can reserve the right to withhold access. Any. Time. They. Want.

wrinklyo

The world was a better place before FaceTube, YouTwit and Booker. Maybe TrumpRump the new social media channel launching soon will be better...

Cray

Honorary Master
Answer: No

IMHO something like facebook, google and twitter have gone beyond a private company, and almost have to be declared a utility. Like power or water. Can the municipality cut off your water because you voted for the opposition, I would hope not. It's all very tricky and not black&white at all.
Last I checked, plenty of people can live without Facebook, In fact a lot of people choose to go without it.... How many people voluntarily go without power or water?

mak2000

Expert Member
People spreading blatant lies even after having been corrected should really be banned - forever.

notayoba

Expert Member
Last I checked, plenty of people can live without Facebook, In fact a lot of people choose to go without it.... How many people voluntarily go without power or water?
True, but the figures are closer than you think.

2.7B Facebook users. So about a little under half the world population.

2B people have no toilets. roughly 1.3B without electricity.

I've tried going without Facebook. No dice, within a week I had no clue what was going on in my town. It's basically the primary method of getting informed about events and happenings. What I have done though is basically unfollow everyone and unfriend as many as possible. But I still need it for information and news.

greg0205

Honorary Master
True, but the figures are closer than you think.

2.7B Facebook users. So about a little under half the world population.

2B people have no toilets. roughly 1.3B without electricity.

I've tried going without Facebook. No dice, within a week I had no clue what was going on in my town. It's basically the primary method of getting informed about events and happenings. What I have done though is basically unfollow everyone and unfriend as many as possible. But I still need it for information and news.
No. No you don't.

Sure, events and such, no problem, but Fakebook is the very last place you should get news from.