Do you think DStv should be allowed to bundle Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with their offering?

Do you think DStv should be allowed to bundle Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with their offering?

• Yes

Votes: 162 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 172 51.5%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I vote yes because this is mostly for user convenience AND it has the upside that it exposes more people to streaming. Neither Netflix or Amazon will give away their crown jewels exclusively to DStv now (in the past when they were not global they did do some license deals). And in the meantime it exposes more people to these services - and before you know it they realize they don't watch Dstv anymore and switches it off while keeping the streaming services. A win for competition, I think.

DStv's monopoly on sport and content in rural internetless areas needs to be investigated before this.

IMHO anybody that combines their Netflix bill with Dstv is crazy because DStv's billing is a joke - but if that what it takes to get older people to realize the magic of streaming so be it :)
It is not about not knowing what streaming is and its benefits. It is because streaming services are simply NOT possible everywhere at a price everyone can afford.

In remote areas, there is almost ZERO chance of accessing any streaming services, so it is either via satellite or nothing. So why not DSTV providing it via their systems? Why pay for an expensive relatively speaking satellite Internet service IF all you want is access to streaming services?

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What do you mean by "allowed to"? Allowed by whom?

I have no particular interest in partnerships, but I very strongly hold that no government should have any say in business arrangements. Keep the State and its laws and claws away from this.
DSTV has a broadcasting licence, so that is as far as the state should go. Then it is normal business deals.
Presumably, what is now raising its head again is the possibility of another monopoly forming. But that is as far as it goes the rest is about affordability. If DSTV does this and price themselves out of the market as a result, so be it.

Last edited:

Markd

Expert Member
I have DSTV Compact and it would be silly of them to restrict an offering for Netflix and Amazon to that price bracket because its in decline. Rather they can go down to the bottom of the pyramid and actually offer some value with decent deals. I bet you'd find a **** TON of households that they could offer these services to that currently dont get them. Frankly I wouldnt mind adding Amazon Prime to my bouquet of services as an addon to my Compact subscription, which I have solely for Premier League football.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
In remote areas, there is almost ZERO chance of accessing any streaming services, so it is either via satellite or nothing. So why not DSTV providing it via their systems? Why pay for an expensive relatively speaking satellite Internet service IF all you want is access to streaming services?
Showmax on the DSTV Explorer requires an internet connection, I don't see that changing if they add further streaming services.

Johand

Expert Member
It is not about not knowing what streaming is and its benefits. It is because streaming services are simply NOT possible everywhere at a price everyone can afford.

I am not sure what you are trying to say. Netflix/Amazon Prime/Showmax is available as standalone streaming services and will be regardless of what DStv does. If you want everything including DStv, its fine then you can do it via one bill. If you don't want DSTv then just subscribe directly :) .

They are not taking anything away from anybody. They just say that they can aggregate all your streaming services to one bill (and I am not sure of this part yet, but it would make sense) use your DSTV decoder as a streaming device.

I really don't understand what the hooha is. They are adding another distribution channel and payment option for existing services. Existing distribution channels remain. Nobody is blocking or restricting anybody.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I don't see the issue for me personally, as long as I don't have to have a DSTv subscription to access Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. If we start talking about DSTv's monopolistic behavior though...

genetic

Honorary Master
It's a free market. Less government interference the better.

Zophos

Expert Member
I am not sure what you are trying to say. Netflix/Amazon Prime/Showmax is available as standalone streaming services and will be regardless of what DStv does. If you want everything including DStv, its fine then you can do it via one bill. If you don't want DSTv then just subscribe directly :) .

They are not taking anything away from anybody. They just say that they can aggregate all your streaming services to one bill (and I am not sure of this part yet, but it would make sense) use your DSTV decoder as a streaming device.

I really don't understand what the hooha is. They are adding another distribution channel and payment option for existing services. Existing distribution channels remain. Nobody is blocking or restricting anybody.

Well, let's recap quickly.

First DSTV did everything in their power to PREVENT streaming services to enter the market, and now they signed a deal with them.....

I do not believe for a second that they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. The monopoly man will come calling sooner or later.....

Ek ken die verskil tussen k@k en modder, en hierdie is nie modder nie.....

justplain

Expert Member
Sure, as long as you subscribe to Netflix without DSTV and not get a dumbed down version of it ( i.e more restricted than the current Stand alone Netflix without the use of a VPN)

ChasI

If the pricing is reasonable then a one-stop service could be convenient.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Well, let's recap quickly.

First DSTV did everything in their power to PREVENT streaming services to enter the market, and now they signed a deal with them.....

I do not believe for a second that they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. The monopoly man will come calling sooner or later.....

Ek ken die verskil tussen k@k en modder, en hierdie is nie modder nie.....

Exactly. Sooner rather than later Monochoice will open their cheque book and wave it infront of Netflix to either get exclusive titles or even restrict all streaming to their service. I trust D$TV about as much as I trust the ANC...which is farkall.

And all those DSTV sheep in favour of this...I hope you are ready to pay a DSTV "acess fee" or some kuk new trick to con you out of your cash...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What is the real difference between a streaming service and a broadcasting service? Think about it.

Hint: In a BC service someone else chooses and decides what is going to be available for viewing when.
Streaming implies the customer decides what he wants to view when. That is the only real difference. Nonthing else truly matters.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
House of Cards and OITNB are now back on Netflix SA after having been broadcasted on DSTV.
Now? They're still a season behind on OITNB so nothing has changed there. House of Cards was also on Netflix a season after it aired on DSTV.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Now? They're still a season behind on OITNB so nothing has changed there. House of Cards was also on Netflix a season after it aired on DSTV.

Ah, didn't know that. I dropped OITNB after season 4.

stefan9

Executive Member
Its fine as long as there are no exclusive agreements involved..If there is monochoice can phuck off...

noxibox

Honorary Master
In South Africa we see a greediness amongst the big boys which is second to none. DSTV has hijacked most major sporting events. It is business but when competition is crushed like this, it is unacceptable. What amounts to strict controls today in these agreements, soon crumbles to allow monopolistic companies like DSTV to take center stage. Not all of us can afford the cost of premium contracts. I feel that competition is the only answer, and this on a fair and equitable basis only.
Oh I think it is second to many. It's exactly what companies do if there isn't any outside force preventing it.

briantw

Not really. They just had the funds.

That's the whole definition of a monopoly: They just had the funds. I'm all for a free markets, but there are regulatory limits when one giant behomoth buys up all the smaller competitors and then charges whatever they want for the product. Then they can go out and kill more smaller players. The bigger a monopoly gets the more "just having funds" they will experience.

I don't have strong feelings on the Netflix deal, as I buy from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., and not MultiChoice, but this "they just had the funds" justification, as if that makes it okay that you only have OneChoice if you want the biggest sporting events live. Fortunately I'm not into sport either - if it's a huge game I'll enjoy it at the pub or with friends :-D

Luckily, for all this lively debat, entertainment is not an essential service.