Do you think DStv should be allowed to bundle Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with their offering?

Do you think DStv should be allowed to bundle Netflix and Amazon Prime Video with their offering?

• Yes

Votes: 162 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 172 51.5%

• Total voters

briantw

Slightly OT, but I've just spent a couple of months in the UK and the way the sport is spread across different providers is both expensive and very annoying. Even for one sport like football, the competitions are divided up and you need subscriptions to Sky, BT Sports, Premier Sports and Amazon to catch it all.

DStv might be a monopoly and that rubs people up the wrong way, but it sure is convenient.

Good point - maybe the solution is to allow all providers access to all content, at the appropriate licencing fee, based on their viewership. I mean, my ISP doesn't have exclusive rights on which websites I can consume. Yet.

briantw

DSTV has a broadcasting licence, so that is as far as the state should go. Then it is normal business deals.
Presumably, what is now raising its head again is the possibility of another monopoly forming. But that is as far as it goes the rest is about affordability. If DSTV does this and price themselves out of the market as a result, so be it.
I'm just thinking that, because satellites are up in the sky, and DStv uses no locally-regulated frequencies, they could, for all intents and purposes, set up shop on an island anywhere in the Indian Ocean and uplink to the satellite and back down to South Africa, and they wouldn't need a licence from our illustrious government. Might make it difficult to set up Customer Service centres locally... I'm not a fan of DStv but I always found it odd that our gov't always bends over backwards to regulate things that they can't really stop. Follow the money.

Example: That time when they insisted that Netflix pay local age-restriction-classification fees to the Films & Publications Board, even though the content comes from abroad via the internet. Netflix buckled and greased their filthy palms with $$$, and what was the result? Nothing - the FPB is not classifying Netflix's content; Netflix still decides their own age restrictions. As long as they're paid their hush money, the FPB is silent.

briantw

It's a free market. Less government interference the better.
Surely you agree there must be a limit to a monopoly? Just in terms of logical conclusions. Assuming that it's a product you actually need, say insulin rather than entertainment, and there is only one provider because they could afford all the rights, and they can charge whatever they want, and, by your sentiment, there is no way anyone is going to stop them, and they are making enough money from those who can afford the product, is that still okay?

Like all things, it's a bell curve - there's too much regulation and there's too little. Either extreme is a big problem. Neither "the less the better" or "the more the better" is something to aim for IMO. Balance is required.

It's a very interesting discussion, though, that can go deep. Brings to mind the whole reason governments exist at all. Because if Thag has a cave and Grok has a cave, their strengths are roughly matched if one wants to rip the other off, but if Thag gets together with a bunch of his mates, Grok has no chance, so Grok then has to get a bunch of his mates, the next thing you have tribes, which is a government of sorts, put there to make sure that all of its members can go about their lives and get treated fairly, but the "tribe" requires payment to sustain itself, build roads, schools, protect you from the bad guys, etc. But of course the tribal elders are human too and are going to steal, any chance they get. And sometimes the tribe rules can be a little too restrictive for your taste, so you can ask to move to another tribe, if they'll have you, but what happens when one tribe starts digesting all the other tribes and gets bigger and bigger, and... Geez, now I want to play an online RPG strategy game or read some dystopian fiction :D

Just glad there isn't a monopoly on global government.

zirkr2011

Just another way to increase tariffs... Its really time for A DECENT COMPETITOR to get onboard. If not I'll cancel in due time.