Do you think humans will land on Mars by 2030?

Do you think humans will land on Mars by 2030?

• Yes

Votes: 40 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 55.6%

• Total voters

RedViking

Nord of the South
The people that think going to the moon or mars is 'advancing' .... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Solarion

Honorary Master
The people that think going to the moon or mars is 'advancing' .... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Exploring other options. Little steps at a time. Eventually we will be sending missions to other inhabitable planets (likely to never return) but the fact is that you don't get there without all the little steps in-between.

Other options in case something really bad happens to Earth. You just never know. Earth is like all our eggs in one basket and it's time to get more baskets.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Exploring other options. Little steps at a time. Eventually we will be sending missions to other inhabitable planets (likely to never return) but the fact is that you don't get there without all the little steps in-between.

Other options in case something really bad happens to Earth. You just never know. Earth is like all our eggs in one basket and it's time to get more baskets.
If we can't take care of a well resources planet created for humans , then sorry , mars or any of the other inhabitable planet is not gonna help much. Just one more thing to screw up , nevermind that it is only for the super wealthy. :ROFL::ROFL:

Nobody Important

Executive Member
You know over the course of the day I've thought long and hard about this question. I suspect we'll be a few years behind. Most likely in the year 2033. That is when humanity’s first crewed mission to Mars will become a reality. As the clock counts down the final 90 seconds to landing, future technology will allow us to witness as an expert crew of astronauts endure the final harrowing moments before touching down on the red planet. Even with the best training and resources available, the maiden crew of Musk's spacecraft will have to push itself to the brink of human capability in order to successfully establish the first sustainable colony on Mars.

garp

Executive Member
We have landed an unmanned vehicle on Mars. Travel time is only around 300 days, we have had people in space for longer. All the technology is there, it's more about funding and finding someone bold enough to attempt it. Musk is such a person. Now it's just about funding. Not like we as the human race can't afford it...

I highly doubt we'll be able to colonize Mars, but having a human set foot on it, very possible.
There’s a huge gulf between sending a machine and sending humans. We still have no idea how we will keep people alive for a trip that will be at least 9 months either way. Plenty of theoretical solutions, but they will take decades to develop.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
There’s a huge gulf between sending a machine and sending humans. We still have no idea how we will keep people alive for a trip that will be at least 9 months either way. Plenty of theoretical solutions, but they will take decades to develop.
Valeri Polyakov is the holder for the longest single stay in space, with 437 days and 18 hours on board the Mir space station.

Pitbull

Verboten
People currently stay alive perfectly fine on the space station. I think the record stay on the space station was just over a year. I think 14/18 months. It can be done. Like I said, we just need someone willing to take a chance.

eg2505

Honorary Master
let me ask this question then.

if something global were to be detected, like a asteroid or comet, but it will take a year or so to get here, but the result will be human extinction.
or a disese that right now is in some lab somewhere, and upon release will wipe out hamanity, or at least kill 98% of the global population.

and your in some goverment think-tank somewhere, and the only way to save remnants of humanity is to colonize another planet?

would the space race then heat up quite quickly then? if some calamity was to be predicted in the next decade?

Messugga

Honorary Master
let me ask this question then.

if something global were to be detected, like a asteroid or comet, but it will take a year or so to get here, but the result will be human extinction.
or a disese that right now is in some lab somewhere, and upon release will wipe out hamanity, or at least kill 98% of the global population.

and your in some goverment think-tank somewhere, and the only way to save remnants of humanity is to colonize another planet?

would the space race then heat up quite quickly then? if some calamity was to be predicted in the next decade?
If it was an asteroid, we'd probably get a drilling team and train them up to be astronauts. We can then send them up with a rocket to go plant a nuke on the asteroid, to blow it up before it gets too close.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Agreed, in my opinion: Not a chance.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
People currently stay alive perfectly fine on the space station. I think the record stay on the space station was just over a year. I think 14/18 months. It can be done. Like I said, we just need someone willing to take a chance.
Problem with a couple of people in a spacecraft which has been custom designed specifically for survival vs hundreds of thousands (millions?) in a colony on a planet with toxic soil will make constructing the colony's buildings impossible

Pitbull

Verboten
Problem with a couple of people in a spacecraft which has been custom designed specifically for survival vs hundreds of thousands (millions?) in a colony on a planet with toxic soil will make constructing the colony's buildings impossible
Yea, I highly doubt colonization will ever happen. But putting feet on Mars is a very obtainable goal.

Anti-Chris

Matter of time. Dont know if we will set foot on Mars in 2030, but I do believe that Humans will colonise other habitable planets. Please just leave the religious zealots behind... Dont need them on another planet... Let them stay behind on their flat earth.

garp

Executive Member
You do know that the ISS is re-supplied every 90 days on average and it's never further than about 400km from earth, right? Mars is 55 million km away at it's closest, with no possibility of resupply.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Unless there are some major breakthroughs in cryogenics or they start building what will basically be an interplanetary bio dome right now, no chance.

They might (huge maybe, why bother when you can send a probe) go to mars but I don't think they will actually land there...