Do you think humans will land on Mars by 2030?

Do you think humans will land on Mars by 2030?

• Yes

Votes: 40 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 55.6%

• Total voters

marine1

Honorary Master
An instrument aboard the Curiosity Mars rover during its 253-day deep-space cruise revealed that the radiation dose received by an astronaut on even the shortest Earth-Mars round trip would be about 0.66 sievert. This amount is like receiving a whole-body CT scan every five or six days.

garp

Executive Member
People currently stay alive perfectly fine on the space station. I think the record stay on the space station was just over a year. I think 14/18 months. It can be done. Like I said, we just need someone willing to take a chance.
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the technology required will take many decades to develop and there will also need to be a huge amount of preparation - the size and mass of the craft will likely have to be huge compared to the ISS as it will have to store supplies and fuel for that period as well as have sufficient radiation shielding, so it will likely have to be assembled in orbit.

They can recycle water, scrub CO2 and even grow food hydroponically but these solutions are nowhere near the levels that will sustain life for years. The lowest energy requirement trip will take 300 days with current technology to get there and then a 500 day wait before returning. So that's realistically about 3 years. There are faster options but they require far more energy - and we need to develop better propulsion, etc. This will not happen any time soon.

Then there's the basic limitations of human physiology. Consider that astronauts that have spent a long period in the space station can barely walk when they return and lose about 30% of their bone density, not to mention muscle wasting - and that's with regular exercise. There are numerous other health issues - and this is before you take into account the radiation and cosmic rays they will be exposed to which is far more of a problem than on the ISS since it is only 400km away and still within the earth's protective magnetic field.

All of these factors are probably not insurmountable, but I'd be very surprised if all of this was solved within 20-30 yrs - and this is all just to send one manned mission, let alone colonise the planet.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Matter of time. Dont know if we will set foot on Mars in 2030, but I do believe that Humans will colonise other habitable planets. Please just leave the religious zealots behind... Dont need them on another planet... Let them stay behind on their flat earth.
Don't think that will happen.
Physics won't allow it.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm still disappointed they didn't do it by 1990, as the space buffs said when the Apollo program ended.

Maybe it'll need another Cold War to get them going...

garp

Executive Member
I'm still disappointed they didn't do it by 1990, as the space buffs said when the Apollo program ended.

Maybe it'll need another Cold War to get them going...
I think it's far more likely now that the Chinese will get there first. While the rest of the world argues about how many genders there are, they're making vast strides in all the areas that require large technological infrastructure discipline.

Prawnapple

You know over the course of the day I've thought long and hard about this question. I suspect we'll be a few years behind. Most likely in the year 2033.
Couldn't agree more. It will definitely happen between 2030 and 2040 sometime. We might as well start now. We literally only have 3 million years +- to spend on Earth before it's consumed by the sun as the sun reaches its dying days. Baby steps.