Do you think it should be a crime not to wear a mask in public?

• Yes

Votes: 492 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 309 38.6%

• Total voters

rustypup

Expert Member
cases are very rare
Not sure the full-town testing results agree with this.

At all.

Alongside the bulk anti-body testing done, where it has actually been done, we have very clear indications that the number of asymptomatic infections FAR outweigh symptomatic, whilst carrying similar viral loads.

Why do you claim they are so rare?

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
All fine and well to make a special rule that requires you to pay a fine if you do, but a crime that goes on your record... No.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
How do you issue fines to the thousands in the townships not wearing masks and no ID?

Moer hulle met a sjambok.
South Africans being beaten by their own army and police for refusing to give up their freedoms? Did you like seeing that?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
South Africans being beaten by their own army and police for refusing to give up their freedoms? Did you like seeing that?
Arrests and fines are also a violation of freedoms.
I didn't say I liked it but if what is being proposed can't be enforced, look for an alternative or leave it as is.

rustypup

Expert Member

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Arrests and fines are also a violation of freedoms.
I didn't say I liked it but if what is being proposed can't be enforced, look for an alternative or leave it as is.
Can you explain how a arrest and/or fine is a violation of freedom?

BandwidthAddict

Expert Member
Absolute no. Unless people are dying in the millions worldwide of the virus itself, not worth destroying liberty.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
@beans100 and @pinball wizard
How about those who're scared of Covid-19, but bravely want to venture into public, wear full-head gas masks, covering their eys, ears, mouth and noses, whilst those who're not don't wear any? In that way, the only way they can get it will be due to their own doing and then everyone can point and laugh at those who get Covid-19 when they refuse to wear masks

Simpler, yes?

Cutadash

I think everyone should wear a mask for their safety & other but to make it a criminal offense smacks of communism & dictatorships & I can’t go along with that

Kola_CT

Expert Member
I guess a fine or criminal record for not wearing a mask is better than being shot in the face for it.

Mooid

From your same study

So I am not sure if you are for or against masks :unsure:

Also with regards to asymptomatic patients, I think you guys are getting confused. Asymptomatic patients are patients who show absolutely no symptoms and will not have any symptoms (ever) of COVID although actually being positive for COVID. these patients are very rare since most people who contract COVID will be "presymptomatic" that is may not be showing any symptoms but will get symptoms later on (the symptoms may be mild but they will still get them).

The reason why it is hard to verify if asymptomatic patients can transmit the disease is due to the lack of numbers of actual cases of true asymptomatic patients to actually do the studies on. As an example this study is based on contact tracing and information based solely on one patient (patient A), also I am not sure that this patient was actually true asymptomatic and I think she was presymptomatic because of

shortness of breath is a symptom of COVID - although they may have disregarded it due to her having problems for 16 years however it does not rule out that the worsening of the symptoms were due to COVID.

Thanks for taking the time for the analysis.

As for the the lady in the study. To quote she was positive " Nevertheless, the patient's nasopharyngeal swab tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 by real-time Reverse Transcription-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR). She was immediately admitted to quarantine ward in infectious department. " So weather she was "presymptomatic" or "asymptomatic" still is a factor in the spread, or lack thereof. The the question is, what reliable evidence do we have for each class of person? As when do we define someone as "presymptomatic" or "asymptomatic" and how is this contrasted to the symptomatic carriers.

Second point form the study: "Case A and her brother both denied visiting Wuhan (the epidemic area in China) and any contact with COVID-19 patients. They wore masks all the time except at meals and drinking. How she became infected was unknown. "

From what I can see on the internet, everyone in China were already wearing masks. if everyone is wearing masks how come people get infected? Same thing in South Africa, Since we went to Lock down level 4, you could not enter the workplace or go to the shops without wearing a mask, yet our numbers continue to go up consistently.

Furthermore to this point, it is noted in the stydy that N95 masks were in use ' It is noteworthy that all personnel working in ED must take medical protection – namely, using N95 mask, putting on isolation gown and wearing goggle. " However, the use of a N95 mask is not the same as a cloth mask. See study https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

to quote " Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%. "

So I get the rational that to prevent the spread you limit spit and coughs with a mask. And people have been buying and making masks like crazy since news broke, yet the infections continue to climb.

General61

Those who don't put on masks take things simple. When one put on a mask he or she is not protecting himself or herself but you are protecting the other brother. It's lack of understanding

BroadMar

Wearing masks is based on germ theory which together with other "rules" undermine our immunity.

Covid symptoms are non specific, the tests are non specific and the mortality rate is low. Why is Covid information fed to us in a marketing 101 style (constantly in your face)? Which leads to the question what's the big picture? Are we letting go of our rights? Might we have to decide between death from covid or from poverty?