Do you think local government elections should take place this year?

Do you think local government elections should take place this year?

• Yes

Votes: 158 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 21.8%

• Total voters

bobcpt

Postponing the elections would set a bad example as the same excuse can then be used next year to delay it even further. Covid is not going to go away anytime soon, so we will have to learn to deal with it. Postponing it would also be a violation of the constitution since it mandates that elections take place at set intervals.

Secondly, the argument that political parties cannot campaign is irrelevant. Those same parties did not give a hoot about business/employees whom they forbid from operating/working for months on end. Why should citizens extend any leniency to politicians? Cry me a river!

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
100% yes we should.

There are multiple reasons why we should, but at the end of the day we shouldn't put democracy on hold in this country, the precedent it sets would be very problematic to overcome in the future... Technically it would mean that the sitting government could declare a state of disaster for something and then have the leeway to push out elections to suit themselves since there is almost no oversight on the declaration of a state of disaster. (I'm oversimplifying it massively but in broad strokes it is sort of the logic flow that could happen)

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Yes, I want the anc to lose as many supporters as possible and right now they will. In a years time after handing out KFC and T-shirts they would have bought peoples lives again.

neoprema

Executive Member
Everyone wants to push ANC out lol. Wait till that happens and no one votes DA so it lands up being EFF... you gonna see them all "Please can ANC come back!"

innovator

Yes I do think elections should happen this year while the massive failures of the ANC are fresh in everyone's minds. It is time for change and a more distributed style of government. This evil government in power now does not have the needs of their citizens at heart only power mongering and coffer looting!

noxibox

Honorary Master
I see no reason why any party needs to campaign. Unless they’ve changed their policies then everyone is pretty much aware of where each party stands.

The only reason I can see for the ANC supporting further delays is that they expect to lose ground. Possibly even more after the looting fiasco.

It is of course possible that those votes could shift to the EFF in spite of the fact that their proposed policies are essentially amplified versions of the ANC’s dumbest ideas.

We are still partly a democratic country last time I checked, so the answer is yes.
South Africa is as democratic as any other democratic country.

Hackson

A more appropriate question is: should parties contest local government elections?
Should we really be voting for a councillor on party lines? One thing I know for sure is that the spear and shield is chosen above the face on the ballot!

astab

Doesn't matter whether anyone here thinks they should happen, they're happening anyway.

Swa

Honorary Master
A more appropriate question is: should parties contest local government elections?
Should we really be voting for a councillor on party lines? One thing I know for sure is that the spear and shield is chosen above the face on the ballot!
That's no longer a requirement.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yes, if we make it possible to move the elections we give the ANC power to rule until Jesus comes back.

That would of course make at least one thing coming out of Zuma's facehole true - and we'll have none of that.