Do you think News24’s digital subscription service will be successful?

Do you think News24’s digital subscription service will be successful?

• Yes

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 230 92.4%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Do you think News24’s digital subscription service will be successful? Will it make enough money to be sustainable?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It will make a profit. Hence, contribute to the company's bottom line as a standalone service.
I removed that post. Regardless, a paywall + staff cuts can make any publication survive.

That's my cynical view of it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't think pursuing pay walls are a viable solution, unless you want a closed-community. Some media outlets already went the exclusive route like The Daily Maverick, but those same articles appear a day or two later in the Press Reader in any case. In my perspective online ads needs to be overhauled. Generally people don't like to pay, it is how the world is and it won't change and is leaning more to some utopia with peoples 'wants' that I don't even understand. The best solution is to pursue less intrusive ads.

Linking is a good option, to earn commissions, but then your product needs to accommodate said linking which isn't easily accommodated by media outlets unless they also do reviews. A product like, PC Parts Picker, nailed this, but they do so by adding value to their links and their website is build around this. In SA we don't really have any well-structured online commission models, maybe Amazon will change this when they e-market here.

People also don't like to be added to mail subscribers, and with PoPI looming about this will also need to be accommodative. It can already be done in line with GDPR, to give people the option to not be remembered.

Many companies are suddenly running to YouTube to host podcasts. You still need to promote those videos elsewhere to make them more visible, and most companies don't know how to do this. There is also a trend which I am not going to discuss here as I am in the process to develop a business around this concept - It isn't unique, but it is a niche here.

When it comes to media, many people are in the opinion that media houses are picking up news on social channels. Yes, they do, it is their business to report, but that is but one mere method. Any media house worth their salt have discovery and investigative teams, and this costs money. Legal teams also adds to these costs. Social media is but a tool. People who claim that news outlets relies on social media is obtuse.

Zukat

Expert Member
It will make a profit. Hence, contribute to the company's bottom line as a standalone service.
Will it be enough to balance out the lost ad revenue due to lost traffic? I doubt it, this is SA and if we can avoid paying for something, we will.

Mux

I think it will be success for the company financially but not in terms of viewership. I stopped using News24 a long time ago, so no impact for me. To be honest, I subscribe to Netwerk24 as good Afrikaans is not that readily available.

Aharon

Executive Member
Definitely heading for failure. There are enough free sites to not warrant paying.

Also one can get NYTimes for example for 2USD / Month (albeit not local) and the content is endless.

Lastly not sure if it's just me, but never found the writing to be amazing?

@Ghekko

I depended on news24 as my main source of local news but there is no way i am going to pay for news i can pull from numerous sources online, The whole paywall thing will backfire for them.

Aharon

Executive Member
I depended on news24 as my main source of local news but there is no way i am going to pay for news i can pull from numerous sources online, The whole paywall thing will backfire for them.
I think we all used it as a convenience, but there's plenty options...
EWN;
ENCA;
MyBB
IOL etc

Anyone want to add to the list?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I don't see why it should be profitable, you can always find the news repeated at another source...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't see why it should be profitable, you can always find the news repeated at another source...
Those are mostly wired services. Media outlets like the Daily Maverick does premium editing. On the occasion News24 and The Citizen, and others, has a praise worthy investigative article, but all these are published in the press which will then release on the Press Reader a day or two later.

You really need to like your news to subscribe to these services, or it must be applicable to your work or business interests.

CNN Newswatch is $7 p/m I believe, but services like these are always up to date.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They both have more intuitive subscription services, or insider programs, but not everyone is interested in those engagements. It is a very niche subscription, but these subscriptions do tend to turn into exclusive access (e.g. they publish gated opinion or investigative pieces only their closed community has access to which is then commented on or debated to be more precise).

Mimen

Do you think News24’s digital subscription service will be successful? Will it make enough money to be sustainable?
I've wondered about that for a while now. The problem is that I have 3 favourite news sources. News24, Daily Maverick AND M&G. I just can't afford 230 per month.
Can't you guys all get together and start a "Netflix" model where we can pay one subscription for several news sources. Maybe oven start one as a test/ proof of concept and see where that road leads to. It might not be financially advisable but what will I know.

Mimen

On that note. I see MNET Carte Blanche is now available on YouTube
I don't think pursuing pay walls are a viable solution, unless you want a closed-community. Some media outlets already went the exclusive route like The Daily Maverick, but those same articles appear a day or two later in the Press Reader in any case. In my perspective online ads needs to be overhauled. Generally people don't like to pay, it is how the world is and it won't change and is leaning more to some utopia with peoples 'wants' that I don't even understand. The best solution is to pursue less intrusive ads.

Linking is a good option, to earn commissions, but then your product needs to accommodate said linking which isn't easily accommodated by media outlets unless they also do reviews. A product like, PC Parts Picker, nailed this, but they do so by adding value to their links and their website is build around this. In SA we don't really have any well-structured online commission models, maybe Amazon will change this when they e-market here.

People also don't like to be added to mail subscribers, and with PoPI looming about this will also need to be accommodative. It can already be done in line with GDPR, to give people the option to not be remembered.

Many companies are suddenly running to YouTube to host podcasts. You still need to promote those videos elsewhere to make them more visible, and most companies don't know how to do this. There is also a trend which I am not going to discuss here as I am in the process to develop a business around this concept - It isn't unique, but it is a niche here.

When it comes to media, many people are in the opinion that media houses are picking up news on social channels. Yes, they do, it is their business to report, but that is but one mere method. Any media house worth their salt have discovery and investigative teams, and this costs money. Legal teams also adds to these costs. Social media is but a tool. People who claim that news outlets relies on social media is obtuse.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No people already don't have any money and it's going to get a whole lot worse plus there's cheaper options available...

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Will loose too big a percentage of their print readers, who cannot or do not want to read their paper online. People who bought the paper mainly for crosswords and Suduko etc. who maybe read the "news" later.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Stopped visiting news24 because of their completely negative view on everything. Definately not missing it, not even the free version of it

LOTR

If one can get the same thing for free elsewhere, I'll go elsewhere. So in the words of Simon - "That's a NO from me".

Adhvik

Quality of journalism is dropping as most journalists now scour Twitter and jump on the bandwagon. Hope this brings out good journalism and good articles