Do you think pit bulls are unfairly treated?

Do you think pit bulls are unfairly treated?

• Yes

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 96 51.3%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.0%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Are "pit bulls" unfairly treated, particularly by the media, or do they deserve their reputation of being dangerous animals?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Supplementary question - do you think ownership should be regulated or even prohibited? (answers in the comments)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Are "pit bulls" unfairly treated, particularly by the media, or do they deserve their reputation of being dangerous animals?
You need to stop having the poll answer be different from the first posts questions, answering yes to one should be the equivalent to yes in the other.

Pitbulls are generally a more dangerous breed, it doesn't help that a lot of dog owners don't seem to realize that a dog has free will.

Reactions: Azg

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You need to stop having the poll answer be different from the first posts questions, answering yes to one should be the equivalent to yes in the other.
Is Are "pit bulls" unfairly treated significantly different to Do you think pit bulls are unfairly treated ?

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Years ago I bought a scotty as 1st dog. One day I went to a breeder to observe the pups, I sat crossed legs and out of nowhere two bitches stormed towards me, I just kept still and they applied brakes next to me, then nothing happened.
One day I took my scotty for visit to the vet, they had a cat knowing dogs, I parked and walk with scotty, the cat was lying in the sun before entrance, it just slightly moved, the scotty picked up speed fast, run dogleash righ out of my hands full speed at the cat, the cat sit still, the scotty braked in front of the cat in a cloud of dust, nothing happened, he turned around and walk back towards me. The scotty always wants to attack other naturally aggressive dogs, he cannot see size.
One day another old dog owner told me if you ever walk with your dogs unleashed and another owner and his dogs comes unexpectedly your way both owners must keep quiet, do not make a sound of any kind whatsoever, do not speak a word, just keep on walking past each other, the monent any owner do something a fight might break out.
So far this method worked if owners understood.

The reason I mention these situations, will you trust your pitbull in scenarios like these, will a pitbull pass this test-?

greg0205

Honorary Master
Voted yes.

My old girls were American Pit Bull Terriers... Won't have any breed other than them or American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Looking for a Blue Staffy pup right now.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Pit bulls unfortunately have a natural hunt kill trigger built into their brains.

They can be as cute as can be but they cannot control their trigger once it gets pulled.

Just like people keeping wild animals as cute little pets that inevitably will attack them one day.

I love animals but you got to respect their natural mindset and what they would do if they weren't forced by humans to adapt to what we want.

It's not the animals fault its the humans fault.

eg2505

Honorary Master
definitely, those dogs were not bred for beauty, they were bread to fight and maul and draw blood.

one cant fight all those years of breeding and genetic memory.

wizardofid

Executive Member
definitely, those dogs were not bred for beauty, they were bread to fight and maul and draw blood.

one cant fight all those years of breeding and genetic memory.

Didn't know you like to eat dogs with bread. :D I think you should share your recipes :D

konfab

Honorary Master
467332611_orig.jpg

What counts as a Pitbull?

I think it is pretty stupid asking for regulations for a specific breed, when it is pretty difficult to draw a hard line on what counts as the breed and what doesn't. Would a Corgi-Pitbull hybrid count as a Corgi or a Pitbull?
Existing law is already sufficient for the protection of the public. If your beloved pooch, who was just being friendly, bites someone, the owner is held liable.

There is a far bigger problem with irresponsible dog and cat owners and that is the fact that they create untold misery and cruelty for unwanted animals. Hence if you want any sort of regulation on animal ownership it should be around whether your animals are sterilized or not. Simplest way to do it is to require licence fees for unsterilised animals. Said licence fees should then go straight to animal welfare organisations that have to deal with the problem.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes. It is not the poor animals at fault but the fringe lunatics that own and train these dogs who are at fault. They the ones who should find themselves locked up for premeditated murder when incidents occur.