Votes: 135 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 89 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 35 13.5%

• Total voters

cr@zydude

Executive Member
With recent news that SA women could soon be allowed to marry more than one man under a newly proposed Marriage Act, do you think polygamy should be legal?
Polygamy is already legal in SA, but in a too restricted a form. I am for legalising polygamy among any group of adults*, as long as all members agree to it. We should restrict polygamy to only some groups, and SA should have a unified marriage act, not the patchwork we currently have.

*SA already has laws preventing close family members from getting married, I am not proposing overriding that.

etienne_marais

Executive Member
No.

You can already sleep around and live with whoever you like. Extending marriage to multiple partners just complicates the law and processes. Probably significant costs in law adjustment too.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Other:

Normally yes, but carefully, there's many complexities involved as posted.

Sometimes no, depends on will of the people in any one community as well, and I'm largely not for this all-do-as-they-please modern concept.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I don't care how hot she is or if she do the double handed twist gawk gawk 3000, I ain't marrying with another dude in the mix.

Besides, I bet most real polyandrous relationships look like this

21967688-0-image-a-19_1575802896249.jpg

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Other, should be legal but there should be no extra rights or tax breaks granted for being married to multiple people,

It's been a while since I was in a tax class, but I remember SA tax law only giving spousal benefits for 1 spouse per taxpayer.

konfab

Honorary Master
It's been a while since I was in a tax class, but I remember SA tax law only giving spousal benefits for 1 spouse per taxpayer.
There are no tax benefits from being married.

It isn't like the US where there is income splitting (which should absolutely be a thing in South Africa).

John Tempus

Executive Member
Allow it all, freedom of personal choice.

But at the same time , I should be free to laugh at this concept under the same freedom of expression "code of conduct".