Do you think restaurants should be allowed to sell alcohol?

• Yes

Votes: 932 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 9.1%

• Total voters

Bvusie

If restaurants can sell alcohol yet they also sell food, then what about the bars or pubs and grill that sell food? Why should they not be allowed to open and sell food only too?
What is banbed here is all facilities regulated by the liquor act as per their liquor licenses.
The ban on alcohol has really affected other industries in one way or the other e.g Events and entertainment, Security, Transportation etc.

kantana

The Government wants to turn South Africa into a Teatotaling state. What better way to do it but now? You have the country totally under your control doing exactly as you command.
Every dictators dream.

beugleuce

I like my glass of wine or beer from time to time, but I also realise when people are having drinks, they stay much longer. In my opinion one should make a visit to a restaurant, grocery shop etc. as short as possible. The longer you stay the greater the chance of picking up covid.(but still be home before 9 or you may be in trouble)

Gerrie01

YES -

So, here is my problem: our laws are supposed to be based on what the reasonable person will do and how he/she will act. Securing jobs is securing the economy, is securing the government flow of income through our excessive tax system and being able to provide for all it's citizens. Draconian legislation based on the acts of the irresponsible and reckless, because it cannot be policed as a rule (due to inefficiency or capability), and thereby ensuring job losses and flourishing criminals, is a sign of immature and faulty leadership with possibly hidden agendas or panic decision-making. In the long run it is going to cause a very poor country, with a large number of citizens with ridiculous criminal records, (smoking in a public park, no mask, visiting my family, etc ??) no jobs and total dependency on a government that cannot provide, but have control over personal things that a so-called free citizen can and must decide for himself about. This will also ensure stress related disease increase, overloading the health system it proposes to protect.

Why don't we then not just once and for all turn to irrational 1905 rules, prohibiting movement, political aspirations, freedom of thought, religion and expression, creating a military country with all of us being soldiers for the establishment, and enriching the elite at the top ? Close down retail shops, food distributors, except for government institutions, small business, entrepreneurship and we all work for the government at the same rates, staying in the same government housing with no prospect of a better future for our children and their once we are too old to look after them. Shoot or imprison the one's with more aspirations and dare oppose the STATE, and ensure that the ruling ONE PARTY STATE has control over our thoughts, actions and aspirations. Have military control points at all borders, especially those moving into the and out of the Republic of The Western Cape, with it's open economy, who may have broken away from the SYSTEM.

At least then we would all know what the rules are, as it would come to us via the state owned media in one session and not 3 different versions in two days (for example when schools will open or not, or whether we will be able to buy legal smokes in a week's time or not), for the same stupid reasons.

Or we could consider to actually use modern scientific facts, well calculated economic data and empathetic requests from hungry and scared citizens about to lose their livelihood and means to support their families, like caring and responsive and responsible leaders are expected to do, focusing on the bigger things we are responsible for, like securing the future of our leaders-to-be, by important, correct decision making.

I am an intelligent, responsible 59 year old citizen, and very very worried about my country and ALL it's people that I love with a passion. I am seeing and feeling it busy slowly dying due to irrational and emotional decisions by its so-called leaders, to ensure control over all of us, much more than I am worried about the microscopic virus that might get me and kill me.

I have very small needs at my age:
Together with my family that I may not visit:
I love my sport - cannot enjoy it within the restrictions.
I love my glass of wine with my food - I also cannot enjoy it I have to buy it legally, not even in a restaurant.
I love a smoke at special occasions - But I may not create this occasions any more.
Enjoy working every day to earn a legal income - too old now.

stefank1233

I stopped using alcohol 10 years ago so personally I'd never touch it, but I cant see why restaurants should not sell it. We have a right to choose, not the government choosing on our behalf. We are supposed to live in a democratic country

Zele12

This not about the importance of education now,This is abt valuing human man lifes as we in peak of dis covid 19,Dis whereby you sending you own kids to school at ur own risks.i would rather teach my kids @ mom than losing them or put them in a risk of

Patricia62

Absolutely YES! The quicker we get back to normal the better, people are starving!!!! The government make these stupid regulations whilst they're all sitting pretty, plenty of food and drink, a roof, a warm bed, plenty money, whilst the masses are absolutely desperate!!!! Makes me sick!

Tom427

The ANC does not care about job losses. ANC just needs enough $ in the state coffers to pay their salaries. No more. Done. Each and every one of them will create their own estate soon with a chicken run and barrels full JW Blue.

Come to think of it, maybe we should transfer them all to Sun City with access to Pilanesberg and leave the rest of the country for decent people. There is even an airstrip for flight departure to Paris for shopping.

How is that for master plan?

On a serious note:
Yes, most restaurant owners keep a trained eye on how much you drink. This is the best way to control the amount. I was quietly hoping for that. Until then I eat (and drink) at home.

mikings

Maybe patrons can be potentially breathalised against a reasonably high but controlled limit. Might be a way to try and start some social engineering, especially at our taverns. However, it is a dream as SAPS are too scared and too thin on the ground.

Ian Brown

Yes!! The current alcohol ban is like when a whole school class gets detention because one pupil did something wrong!

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Definitely yes. Even if they put a 2 drink limit in place.
Yes - but limit the amount of drinks per person.
Impossible to police. It will rely on SJWs to snitch, as is the case with 90% of the regulations.

EDIT: This type of mentality is going to lead to arseholes granting Government 2% of their pension for investment in the SOEs, instead of standing fast in giving fsckall, with some dumb argument saying "Hey, at least it's not 10%!".
Government doesn't want the pinky, when are you lot going to realise that?

Last edited:

Thabisomjita

Yes they should. But obviously there has be limitations. Alcohol sells, and waiters/waitresses depend largely on tips. and truth be told, people who drink are the best when it comes to "tipping"..