Do you think restaurants should be allowed to sell alcohol?

• Yes

Votes: 932 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 9.1%

• Total voters

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Yes, a restaurant should be able to sell beverages and food. As long as they have a license they can sell alcohol.

But I think the question was not phrased correctly.

Gandalf123

Certainly. I always loved a glass of wine to complement a good meal at a fine resturant. I miss dining out and I miss the atmosphere.

Crabby

Honorary Master
Jirre fok, some of the replies in this thread.

That 30% is shining through.

BillyG

Joke or no joke, this lockdown only works if the rules are the same for all. As soon as there is one rule for the rich and another for the poor then chaos will ensue. How many poor people can afford to go to a restaurant and order a meal just for the privilege of getting two glasses of wine? Also, what about the new law for drinking and driving stating 0% blood alcohol levels when driving? How many people will flout this law if drinking is allowed at restaurants?

The 0% alcohol legislation is another ill conceived knee jerk reaction by the brain surgeons who run the country and another mortal blow for the hospitality industry. Worldwide 0.05% BAC is a very commonly accepted level. The problem here is with drivers above this level and a lack of enforcement. At 0%, cough mixture, mouthwash, tiramisu or any meal cooked with alcohol, or even the morning after could see you going to jail for being above "0%".

MAINEY

Definitely yes. Don't punish a nation for the irresponsibility and bad behaviour of a minority of drinkers. Police and punish those who don't have the maturity, self respect or responsibility to drink without getting drunk and if they end up at hospital send them to the back of the queue.

W.Salie

No, look at statistics and you will see the benefits of no alcohol, also who said you have to drink alcohol to have fun?

gottagoon

Executive Member
YES. Wine and dine. Why take the one half away?

Stupid bloody uncultured moronic ANC. No class. Just ass.

:mad:

Fudpukker

So guess what guys? Our guvament is on it's way to introduce a 0% alcohol level for driving. So what do you think that's going to do to restaurants? They make enough dosh in any case on the cool drinks - 24 bucks for a 300ml coke? really?

Fudpukker

I sincerely hope that whoever voted no, did so by accident.
If you want most restaurants in South Africa to close, which they will without the ability to sell alcohol, then you're either god damn stupid, or evil.
I'm god damn evil...

Dan C

Honorary Master
So guess what guys? Our guvament is on it's way to introduce a 0% alcohol level for driving. So what do you think that's going to do to restaurants? They make enough dosh in any case on the cool drinks - 24 bucks for a 300ml coke? really?
0% won't stop anyone from having a few drinks and drive.

My Dog Charlie

Not only should the restaurant business be lowed to sale liquor for comsuption with a meal, the whole retail outlet business should be open to use by the public. A little more clamping down by the SAPS and the METRO POLICE on drinking in public. More spot checking of vehicle drivers for being over the limit.

pobedonosec

Restaurant w/o alco - it's like Macdonalds w/o burgers - who the hell need it??
But main point is who allowed gov. just "ban" alco? A whole world live normal way, using restaurants and only local monkeys push new "laws" from the ass. How long we will listen 'em?

demonweare

It is a hard one because hospitals have reported fewer emergency-room catastrophes as a result of the alcohol ban, which frees them up to deal with coronavirus.

BUT the ban is KILLING restaurant business and the restaurants! Not that I ever drink when I am at a restaurant but I know many people who do and who feel that the alcohol is part of the experience.

buhledee

No, this is because the main purpose for restaurants is to sell food and people mostly go there for food and not alcohol, The president has declared a ban on the alcohol that's means whether is from a restaurant, a spaza shop or a bar it's still alcohol and it should not be sold. After the ban of alcohol was lifted people became too relaxed and this led to a high infection rate, and not only that the hospitals were now full of covid19 infected patients and also people that got injured due to being under the influence of alcohol, accidents drinking and driving, people cannot be controlled when they are under the influence of of alcohol, so in my view No alcohol to be sold at the restaurants #soberCountry #soberCountry economy.

physics

Yes they must be allowed, I am telling you that the government knows that illegal selling of alcohol is happening in poor communities at a higher markup, that's the only way they think they will neutralize what they call inequalities.

They actually don't have a plan which can work, think about it, go do your research on all the townships tarven, shabeen and bottle stores and see the amount of beer they bought before the ban and see how much stock they have now, you will see they have no stock anymore because they were selling it illegally.

It favors the smaller guys more as they can make high profit margins as the demand becomes very high during lockdown as the places like restaurants have no choice but to follow suit so the demand becomes centralized in poor communities where the breaking the law with little or without any consequence is a norm.