Do you think schools should be closed until the COVID-19 peak is over?

• Yes

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 100 38.3%

• Total voters

Prawnapple

Expert Member
It stands to reason, if the point of schools closing would reduce the number of infections as kids carry around the virus, then yes, it would be a good idea. Is it a morally good idea for kids education to be squished like this just to reduce the number of possible deaths in the older population? Well, I'm just glad I don't get to make that call.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the "peak" hasn't really happened yet. This is just a minor peak. Let's check in again at the end of September and see how the country is doing with infections then. Do we take kids out of schools again at that point? My guess would be yes because of even more infections.

We really need that vaccine now or perhaps just a superb relief.

Last edited:

Clipper

The kids are probably as likely to get sick at home as at the school. Proper screening at school and temperature measurement twice a day will reduce the chances. Also it will give parents the opportunity to go back to work without worrying about the kids at home. It is a difficult decision, but all aspects need careful consideration.

Reactions: Shi

Lord of the Storm

I vote yes, as there is so much online content for kids to keep themselves busy with adult supervision nowadays. Their health is a parents concern - Not Government!

Lamane5

yes! but there is a solution for learners in grade 12!
That is the google classroom! an online classroom where all educational necessities can be interacted upon to! ask me how and i'll be glad to pitch this proposal?

garp

Executive Member
Two critical issues with keeping schools closed:

1. It is difficult to re-open the economy when schools are closed. Parents will have to choose between work, staying home to look after the kids or some third option which may be costly and/or risky.

2. Apparently a huge number of children were relying on school feeding schemes for their main daily meal. If the schools are going to stay closed, they should find another way of providing that food.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
A local highschool is closed this week for decontamination. Seems a Grade 10 pupil lost his father to Covid two weeks ago. The entire family was tested as a precaution on the Monday. Instead of notifying the school - he came in for the entire week. And only told the school when he received his positive test results last Friday.

That's the entire school closed, and a teacher and 20 learners exposed. This will keep on happening because people are inherently stupid.

Lois Carol Wessels

With the increased number of fatalities - I would naturally assume that the Govt would close all schools and take
any other precautions to halt the the rapid spread of this pandemic

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Define COVID peak. The peak is but a mere interpretation by government.

Schools must stay open. Give options to assure schooling continuity.

Those parents, teachers, unions and pupils which are protesting, why is social distancing less important than education?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So home school them
People don't understand. There is a call to terminate the academic year and not a simple call to temporarily close schools.

We can 'peak' again next year, and as things are politically going now we are sure to 'peak' during the municipal elections.