Do you think Showmax Pro will be successful in South Africa?

Do you think Showmax Pro will be successful in South Africa?

• Yes

Votes: 24 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 263 91.6%

• Total voters

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
They're charging considerably more in SA than other African countries.
Yep , as usual S.A monopolies shafting customers
Pro mobile R155 , Pro R310 at current Dollar rate.
Wont support on principal

Markd

Expert Member
I dont really have a need to get this I dont think. I have DSTV Compact for R399 which gets me Premier League and doesnt require me to use any of my bandwidth etc. The value proposition just isn't good enough. Its painful how DSTV dont realise this.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I dont really have a need to get this I dont think. I have DSTV Compact for R399 which gets me Premier League and doesnt require me to use any of my bandwidth etc. The value proposition just isn't good enough. Its painful how DSTV dont realise this.
LA Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1. Champions League, Europa League. All. One would assume. All matches.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
If only MultiChoice charged a base fee of R 200 - R 300 that comes with the current terrible offering they have for Showmax Pro and then allow customers to add any channel they want for an extra R20 - R30.

ajules

Expert Member
This pricing,which is at least R200 too expensive, and the fact that you can only stream at 720p shows that they haven’t truly applied their minds to the model.Unfortunately they are still stuck in the dark ages with an outdated model and a short term view on benefits.
This is Telkom all over again!!

cr@zydude

Executive Member
If only MultiChoice charged a base fee of R 200 - R 300 that comes with the current terrible offering they have for Showmax Pro and then allow customers to add any channel they want for an extra R20 - R30.

Yeah, because all content is of equal value.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Yeah, because all content is of equal value.

Hence a base fee that covers their cost. Most people probably would choose about 10 channels. 10 channels at R 30 = R 300, add the base fee of R200 - R 300. MultiChoice should be able to cover their costs.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Hence a base fee that covers their cost. Most people probably would choose about 10 channels. 10 channels at R 30 = R 300, add the base fee of R200 - R 300. MultiChoice should be able to cover their costs.

It probably won't work. Back when MNet could be bought alone, it cost about R500. The channels with the most expensive content would need to cost more.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Showmax doesn't offer channels. That would be something that's better suited to DSTV Now.

Markd

Expert Member
LA Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1. Champions League, Europa League. All. One would assume. All matches.

The only one there that interests me other than the PL is Champions League, and I think most of those games are aired on 203 anyway - i.e. I'm expecting to watch the final tonight on my R399 compact sub.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
The only one there that interests me other than the PL is Champions League, and I think most of those games are aired on 203 anyway - i.e. I'm expecting to watch the final tonight on my R399 compact sub.
How many 4pm games can you watch?

Lupus

Honorary Master
20 to 30 a channel? That's cute, unfortunately some of them would be 100 to 200 a channel, as licensing isn't cheap.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
20 to 30 a channel? That's cute, unfortunately some of them would be 100 to 200 a channel, as licensing isn't cheap.

That is why you get cross subsidies, unless you greedy, then you may as well sell the expensive channels for full price, and give the Free To Air for free.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
Maybe because there is too many people that has still money to waste. I am not interested. Why is DSTV still heavily oversubscribed with expensive packages? People tend to have what the neighbors have.

Phoenix King

Honestly speaking as a showmax subscriber I wanted to get this service but their price is too high....

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Maybe because there is too many people that has still money to waste. I am not interested. Why is DSTV still heavily oversubscribed with expensive packages? People tend to have what the neighbors have.
Only explanation I can think of is something that's accepted these days as a household item. No matter your class. Look at shacks, they've all got dishes. Although recent years there's been an exodus to Startsat et al

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't understand why Multichoice is wasting resources by developing 2 streaming services, DSTV Now and Showmax, side by side. They should just fold them into one and be done with it. It makes it really confusing for the consumer.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I don't understand why Multichoice is wasting resources by developing 2 streaming services, DSTV Now and Showmax, side by side. They should just fold them into one and be done with it. It makes it really confusing for the consumer.

One hand mot knowing or caring what the other is doing.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I think with Showmax you can watch with a non SA IP address, not? So there might be IP issues.