Do you think South Africa will move to lockdown level 2 on Monday?

Do you think South Africa will move to lockdown level 2 on Monday?

• Yes

Votes: 159 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 135 45.9%

• Total voters

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Let's actually check what's the difference:
C. Manufacturing:
1. All manufacturing scaling up towards 100% employment
A vast majority of manufacturing already scaled up to 100% under level 3, the ones that haven't are not likely to scale up to 100% as economy is doing badly, so they'd have retrenched a lot of positions.
D. Construction and related services (inc. tradespeople):
1. Civil engineering for public works projects (including water, energy, sanitation);
2. Critical public works construction;
3. Road and bridge projects;
4. Other public works civil engineering projects; and
5. Commercial building projects;
6. Private residential projects; and
7. Critical maintenance and repairs
No one adhered to this anyways.
E. Wholesale and retail trade, covering stores, spaza shops, eCommerce and informal traders:
1. All retail permitted, subject to directions
So does that mean alcohol and cigarettes become permitted? That's pretty much the only thing left.
H. Financial and business services:
1. Employees should work from home where possible;
2. Call centres, for local and all international markets, may operate subject to directions issues by the relevant cabinet members;
3. Essential financial services may operate subject to directions issues by the relevant cabinet member;
4. All real estate activities permitted;
5. Private security services may operate;
6. Implementation of payroll systems
7. Rental of motor vehicles, machinery and equipment, and of personal and household goods to support other Level Two services
8. Other professional services may operate only where work-from-home is not possible, and only to support other Level Two services
Great, real estate is back, does that include evictions?
I. Accommodation and food service activities:
1. Accommodation permitted for quarantine, essential services
2. Permitted for business travel, except conferences
3. Restaurants permitted, only for take-away and delivery
Except 2 and 3 are already allowed? 3 is at allowing it for sit-down.
L. Repair and related emergency services:
1. Tow trucks and vehicle recovery services
2. All repair work, including plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, glaziers, roof repair work
3. All automobile repairs
Wasn't all of it already allowed?
N. Private households employment:
1. All private household employment permitted
Before all "level 3" personnel, which included domestics; and gardening and pool services were permitted, so pretty much everyone was already permitted.
O. Public administration, government services and other arms of the state:
b) Licensing, permitting and deeds offices, marriage certificates, birth and death certificates, and new and replacement identification documents;
Still insane that new/replacement IDs were blocked...
R. Personal Movement:
1. Interprovincial travel is permitted
Cool, but isn't there a restriction above that it's only for business?

So what actually changed? If they block alcohol and cigarette sales still, nothing will have changed between level 3 and level 2 besides IDs and real estate (if that wasn't already unrestricted).

bromster

Executive Member
We've reached a point where the economy is suffering so much, that we have no choice but to lift the ban and let go of the stupid notions of the ANC

krycor

Honorary Master
I'm saying yes, but T's&C's apply

This.. I don’t see alcohol sales going back to normal anytime soon.

So expect temporary restrictions (as prior) while legislation on permanent measures go through the system with dates for implementation. Expect stupid legal cases on the right to sell as much as possible etc going all the way to CC to be slapped down much like the cigarette stuff. Usual business being business tbh.

Cig sales likely go back to normal.

Much like other countries I see this easing as temporary measure as our society is not among the nations with a high sense of self preservation. So round two will come mid-late summer.

I suggest people plan a local vacation early, ie October-November as I suspect as time goes on compliance will drop and we will have issues again.

But hey, maybe I’m wrong and people actually mask up, keep up with hygiene, social distance and pigs start flying too.. uh..

labratza

Expert Member

A vast majority of manufacturing already scaled up to 100% under level 3, the ones that haven't are not likely to scale up to 100% as economy is doing badly, so they'd have retrenched a lot of positions.

So does that mean alcohol and cigarettes become permitted? That's pretty much the only thing left.

Before all "level 3" personnel, which included domestics; and gardening and pool services were permitted, so pretty much everyone was already permitted.

So what actually changed? If they block alcohol and cigarette sales still, nothing will have changed between level 3 and level 2 besides IDs and real estate (if that wasn't already unrestricted).

Well interesting fact is we bought a house during lockdown so how was real estate really blocked?

Radorn

Asked my wife this yesterday. What is actually still "closed"?

PS put the house on the market yesterday. Only "activities" not allowed are show housing.

labratza

Expert Member
Asked my wife this yesterday. What is actually still "closed"?

PS put the house on the market yesterday. Only "activities" not allowed are show housing.
but it still happens. House that we bought actually went on sale at start of lockdown. We went to go and look decided we liked it and started process... Deeds office was closed for a while but as soon as they opened it was submitted. so Lawyers & Agents made sure they had everything ready when Deeds opened doors again

Radorn

but it still happens. House that we bought actually went on sale at start of lockdown. We went to go and look decided we liked it and started process... Deeds office was closed for a while but as soon as they opened it was submitted. so Lawyers & Agents made sure they had everything ready when Deeds opened doors again
Sure "officially". Unofficially is a whole other ball game.

We're hoping deeds office doesn't take to long. Apparently they have a huge backlog from being closed.

labratza

Expert Member
Sure "officially". Unofficially is a whole other ball game.

We're hoping deeds office doesn't take to long. Apparently they have a huge backlog from being closed.
yep there is a major backlog. We buy 1 property a year for Rental and so far it has been almost 6 weeks waiting from it been lodged. Where normally it is roughly 2 weeks for deeds to be done. So there is some backlog

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Well Koosie is not scheduled to make any speeches tonight so I guess tomorrow then?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That is IF one accepts the definitions of the various levels still hold.
There should be no reason why the new rules could not be implemented immediately after the Zoll roller spokesperson announces them. The delay to Monday suggests that they will knuckle under on alcohol and tobacco.

To be honest, I don't really care either way --- the whole exercise is just one huge tragic joke already.

The only reason I will tune into and listen to the speech if it materialises is out of morbid curiosity - the same curiosity that draws people to road accidents.

LOTR

If we do, the guavament has no clue on the actual state of our healthcare system...
Alert Level 2 – indicates a moderate Covid-19 spread with a high health system readiness

Sepeng

Expert Member
I've long forgotten, what does Level 2 mean again?
Can move around the country again? Order beers at a bar?

Drifter

Honorary Master
Can move around the country again?

Probably not.

Order beers at a bar?

Nope.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Legal pressures are up, and I think they have little choice if they don't want further damage to their future (it's so bad though is that even possible?)