Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 188 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 147 43.9%

• Total voters

Cius

Executive Member
I am a non drinker so for me it was a small issue however a lot of my work colleagues it is literally all they can talk about. How their wine/bear stash is running low or has run out. I never realized just how much some otherwise intelligent and well adjusted people are dependent on alcohol to get them through the average day.

Personally, happy to see it remained banned as the murder rate is so much lower without it around. If you look at the crime stats of SA and in particular at the murder rate roughtly 50% of murders involved alcohol at some level and about 50% of murders the victim knows the perp.

Put those two together and a large number of deaths are drunk people murdering someone they know due to reduced inhibition fueled by alcohol. I know banning it never works long term but it makes one wish for a world without that adding to all the issues.

Brian_G

Executive Member
( @rpm , this thread isn't showing at the top of the page as it normally would, and the "restore dismissed notices" personal setting doesn't help it. Thnx )

I think limited sales of beers and some lighter alcohol such as sherry and wine should be allowed at the least.

joefriday

I Voted no. Although I am a Lover of Beer and Whisky. Not everybody can behave when it comes to drinking. While some can quietly drink at home and behave, Others cant stop drinking until they have either finished the whole bottle/case etc. or get completely drunk, and then behave irresponsibly.

Web-Guy

Alcohol we can do without. People will survive. Don't think it is necessary. We know the effect it has on people. I know the effect it has on the town. Although there are people who use it responsibility, the negative impact outweigh the positive.

Smokes I don't see a problem with. Its an 'addiction' people need and smoking doesn't have the side effects of alcohol. Might even keep some people calm.

A difficult decision, specially with the drinking culture in SA. (can't speak for other countries)

and vape juice

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Personally, happy to see it remained banned as the murder rate is so much lower without it around. If you look at the crime stats of SA and in particular at the murder rate roughtly 50% of murders involved alcohol at some level and about 50% of murders the victim knows the perp.

Are you really falling for that. :ROFL:

It couldn't possibly be because the SANDF and police are monitoring the streets for people breaking lockdown regulation.
It couldn't possibly be that there's little to no Taxis on the road.
It couldn't possibly be that people are not allowed to be in groups.
It couldn't possibly be that people are basically at home 24/7 at the moment.

"Let's forcefully stop people from interacting as much as possible... Oh look the murder rate went down... Because we banned alcohol! Yeah that's it."

Not the smartest people supporting these bans.

Web-Guy

It couldn't possibly be because the SANDF and police are monitoring the streets for people breaking lockdown regulation.

"Let's forcefully stop people from interacting as much as possible... Oh look the murder rate went down... Because we banned alcohol! Yeah that's it."

of course the stoppage of alcahol is contributing to the lessening of crime.
yes the lockdown is a large factor, but its common knowledge and common sense that alcohol is a huge cause of crime and accidents before the lockdown.

Xarelto

No, but that creates criminality through black marketeering. Rather allow alcohol sales but keep public drinking places closed and enforce the ban on drinking in public.

AlphaBravo

Expert Member
I voted yes mostly out of selfish reasons. Although I doubt government will lift the ban due to most of the arguments listed here.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Not the best people who are against the ban either, considering that they seemingly cannot live a while without alcohol.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
yes the lockdown is a large factor, but its common knowledge and common sense that alcohol is a huge cause of crime and accidents before the lockdown.
Why hasn't it been banned and treated in the same manner as narcotics then?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
yes the lockdown is a much larger factor making this argument for alcohol's contribution to crime completely irrelevant despite the fact die hard alcoholics including the violent ones are still obtaining booze and drinking regardless, but its common knowledge and common sense that alcohol is a huge cause of crime and accidents before the lockdown.

FTFY

Not the best people who are against the ban either, considering that they seemingly cannot live a while without alcohol.

It's called addiction read it up.

I don't really drink alone but my beef is with the cigarette ban, the authoritarian action being supported by the self righteous and the morons on here's complete social disconnect believing people don't know the health risks with these things and needs to be educated. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FNfal

Executive Member
It is not about the alcohol , it is your right to decide for your self what is good for you .
Your rights are being dictated to you , and dont say it will make the infection rate worse , we do not know that .
There are no reliable facts and figures yet .

BTW. i have plenty alcohol here i hardly drink .

TraceyG1987

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown? Are you concerned that it may cause problems?
No alcohol must be sold i feel uts going to cos chaos people wouldnt listen if they drunk but i think cigarettes can be sold .