Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 188 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 147 43.9%

• Total voters

MlindosM

Is alcohol not available in the townships or we would like to believe its not. Tarven owners are sitting on stock waiting for lockdown to end, Yeah right.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
FTFY

It's called addiction read it up.

I don't really drink alone but my beef is with the cigarette ban, the authoritarian action being supported by the self righteous and the morons on here's complete social disconnect believing people don't know the health risks with these things and needs to be educated. :rolleyes:

Yes, that so many people are addicted to alcohol is sad. I do not see the point of cigarette ban either, I don't see people stabbing and fighting and not listening and whatnot due to cigarettes.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Yes, that so many people are addicted to alcohol is sad. I do not see the point of cigarette ban either, I don't see people stabbing and fighting and not listening and whatnot due to cigarettes.

I don't support the ban on either. It's infringing on human rights. The above argument for the ban on alcohol can be made without Covid-19 lockdown. Will you support the ban then?

ici 777

I think no alcohol should sold accept surgical alcohol for cleaning wounds, in lockdown I have seen and heard how people drive around like hooligans, it also fuels criminal elements, I can't believe people would break in to schools , vandalise and burn them? Those caught doing this should be sentenced hard labour and be put to work to fix the damage , no pay , and how is it they get to do this in lockdown ?? I thought you suppose to stay home , you get people walking around in the streets anytime of the day and night even in groups some with no masks, clearly these are people who have never seen what an outbreak of a contagion can do, try malaria and Ebola, if you cant stay home for corona what you going to do if it was malaria or Ebola? Funny thing is, this virus works and infects the same and has similar symptoms but yet you get the casual Joe strutting about as if they are immune to it? Now you ask or wonder how Italy had such high infections? Alcohol no drinking will keep families and homes safe , shebeens should be flushed out as well.

Oudekat

I am not really a good person to reply to this question as I am an alcoholic who has been clean for 23 years. I know the damage alcohol can do in a family. I also know the hell an alcoholic goes through on giving up and they can be very desperate and dangerous and will do anything to get their "fix" (same with smoking). I think the "rule" should be that off sales/bottle stores may be permitted to sell limited amounts for consumption at home only. The existing law of no drinking in public or being drunk in public must continue to apply with the addition that there must be no communal drinking. No restaurants may sell alcohol if they are permitted to reopen as this can be considered as communal drinking. No bars, shebeens etc. may be open.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I don't support the ban on either. It's infringing on human rights. The above argument for the ban on alcohol can be made without Covid-19 lockdown. Will you support the ban then?

Only for so long as the medical facilities are required for Covid-19 people instead of drunk morons crashing and stabbing and fighting and whatever, once that is stop, let the boozing and mayhem run free and we can all take the blame for every death caused.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I think no alcohol should sold accept surgical alcohol for cleaning wounds, in lockdown I have seen and heard how people drive around like hooligans, it also fuels criminal elements, I can't believe people would break in to schools , vandalise and burn them? Those caught doing this should be sentenced hard labour and be put to work to fix the damage , no pay , and how is it they get to do this in lockdown ?? I thought you suppose to stay home , you get people walking around in the streets anytime of the day and night even in groups some with no masks, clearly these are people who have never seen what an outbreak of a contagion can do, try malaria and Ebola, if you cant stay home for corona what you going to do if it was malaria or Ebola? Funny thing is, this virus works and infects the same and has similar symptoms but yet you get the casual Joe strutting about as if they are immune to it? Now you ask or wonder how Italy had such high infections? Alcohol no drinking will keep families and homes safe , shebeens should be flushed out as well.
FFS, do you even know where Malaria comes from? Numb nuts.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I am not really a good person to reply to this question as I am an alcoholic who has been clean for 23 years. I know the damage alcohol can do in a family. I also know the hell an alcoholic goes through on giving up and they can be very desperate and dangerous and will do anything to get their "fix" (same with smoking). I think the "rule" should be that off sales/bottle stores may be permitted to sell limited amounts for consumption at home only. The existing law of no drinking in public or being drunk in public must continue to apply with the addition that there must be no communal drinking. No restaurants may sell alcohol if they are permitted to reopen as this can be considered as communal drinking. No bars, shebeens etc. may be open.
Exactly. Let me buy, I will consume at home.

RydhTybyans

We know what happened in the United States during the Prohibition years: a huge rise in the power of organized crime.

Big Rat

Initial though is Yes, but some careful thinking changed it to no.
If a tops may now sell alcohol, that means the taverns will demand to be open as well.
People have less money, that should go to food at the moment, sure, some of us have full salary, or even on reduced salary we have enough to get a few beers or Brandy. We are the lucky ones, Most of the country is definitely not on the same boat as us. Reduced income or no income. So money that should have gone for food will go to booze.

We know there are people who will booze up the weekend, and have no food for the rest of the week. They will go stand in the same queue as someone who really has nothing and expect food.

Unfortunately we have a lot of people who cannot control themselves.

sadrok

Even though I love to drink a lot I voted no. I understand that alcohol will cause problems it usually does which will use up hospital resources that are needed during these times. I'm not sure I agree necessarily with any other reasons or explanations given by our overlords for this prohibition and I definitely think it should be lifted when the pressure on the medical services have significantly reduced. That's just my opinion.

Anthro

Expert Member
No, but to your own detriment - illegal selling will flourish at the same levels (possibly more) of the current escalation in illegal sigarette trade.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This is not a yes or no answer unfortunately....

Yes personally I want to be able to get access to acquire alcohol without having to stockpile it to get through a 3 week or 5 week stint.....

No because if they allow that, then the flood gates have to open and there are some seriously negative consequences to it currently.

Budza

Executive Member
No, but to your own detriment - illegal selling will flourish at the same levels (possibly more) of the current escalation in illegal sigarette trade.

Once that cat's out the bag, it's hard to get back in too.

Coupled with all the damn sin taxes, home brewing is looking like the way to go.

Do your bit to stick it to them :p