Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 188 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 147 43.9%

• Total voters

Oloff Crous

No. Keep it banned. We will survive.
If it is allowed, they will have to open Loan Shark businesses again to help fund the masses' need for booze, or actually, the lack of funds might prohibit you from buying booze anyway

Iainh

Should be allowed and controlled ie Quantity and for off site consumption. Bheki Cele is a little dictator. While he says crime has dropped possibly not true due to the amount of looting and Liquor Store Break ins

Hellhound105

Executive Member
If they allow alcohol then they can allow the sale of PC and console games as well

dexter2ltr

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown? Are you concerned that it may cause problems?

They might as well shut down the lockdown. People are uncontrollable under the influence

Vee007

No they should not. As it is lot of people are nt taking this seriously and now walking around, sitting in the parks.

Willeboer

Fortunately I did stock up on beer, so I am good for another week. But I believe that the guavament is trying to make us into a nanny-state. Even other nanny-states around the world allow their citizens to buy liquor, etc. during lockdown. Only in SA.

TrueTenacity

They don't have to allow people to go to the bottle stores... they can make it online ordering and delivery only... then people will be able to get their fix while not breaking lockdown. they could even restrict it to a specific site / store so they can keep track of who orders what...

Or they can allow the looting of bottle stores to continue...

GHK

Doctor friend said the casualty section is quiet, not stab wounds, shootings, and other violent injuries because of alcohol. There are more people dying on the roads because of alcohol than with the virus. We need a sober society.

ShakyAkkedis

Yes from me.
I enjoy a drink or beer especially when putting my meat on the braai instead of the oven or on a hot day just to cool down a bit.
Since I have a lot of time available now I braai a lot at home which also makes me thirsty.
Everybody is complaining that the use of alcohol will clogg up the hospitals and people will go out and party, but I feel that only a very small minority will actually take chances to visit each other if alcohol gets sold again. That same minority are already out and about in any case.
With the roads that is not that busy and people drinking at home the hospitals won't be that busy looking after drunkards.
Me and my friends are having video call parties where all of us jump on Skype/whatsapp/duo/facetime etc. and party together using technology and still practice social distancing.
Why is alcohol banned but all the sweets and other kinds of unhealthy non-essentials are still available?
You enjoy your chocolate so let me enjoy my ice cold drink.

vanidasen

I do enjoy a drink on a few days a week. But i cannot understand why this is such an important issue to raise. Alcohol is responsible for so much irresponsible behaviour and is a burden on our health and security/court systems. Cigarette and alcohol addiction/abuse is a permanent scar on our society.
Keeping alcohol under lock for another month would be a good way to go. I am mindful of the industry and the workers who may be affected, unfortunately. But this is literally saving lives.

Janvlwen

I don't drink any alcoholic drink anyway, so I don't mind whether it is available or not.