Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 188 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 147 43.9%

• Total voters

Terber

Beer and wine available only from retail stores. Sugar loaded drinks are freely available possibly contributing to diabetes and obesity which also fills hospital beds.

Lia83

No!!! Alchol is a big contributer to Crime. All kinds of crime...I've seen and attended to to many uncountable horrible scenes and complaints where Alchol was/were involved. Some people would rather buy Alchol than food. Unfortunately this also negatively affects the ones who can hold there own. Some just don't care.... I rarely drink, but I do enjoy something now and again. ☺. And it is nice to cook with certain alchoI. I like to walk through a liquor shop and look at all the interesting bottles, brands etc.. I miss that... But I CAN do without that. (I am lucky... I have a bottle of Johnie Walker Black Label that I bought 3 years ago and 2 bottles of Brandy (that was given to my Dad when my Sister and I were born) That was about a hundred years ago.... But this is only my humble opinion...

FutureSuccess

Do you think the government should allow the sale of alcohol during the lockdown? Are you concerned that it may cause problems?
They must rethink the process - everyone is not an alcoholic
Some abuse, many don't abuse alcohol,

keshavn

No - Most people will not abide by the conditions of the lockdown once they are intoxicated.

TobyDB

The question is not "is alchohol good" I am a non-drinker and well aware of the detrimental effects of booze, the question is "is the ban a good idea?" And the answer is no people who want to drink will find a way and history has given us ample evidence that prohibition eventually only leads to more criminality and violence. This is not something they can stop for long and is likely to put more pressure on an already tense state of affairs - in an ideal world no one would want to drink... we do not live in an ideal world.

Magnum

Executive Member
I say No. Alchohol is good. It reduces stress and will help with the lock down. I Say no because the money should be spent on more important things. This is going to be a long haul and we have to make sacrifices.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I say No. Alchohol is good. It reduces stress and will help with the lock down. I Say no because the money should be spent on more important things. This is going to be a long haul and we have to make sacrifices.
Really? What should I be spending my money on?

Since we're speaking of money South African Liquor Brand Owners Association estimates that over R24billion of tax revenue is raised by booze sales annually. Don't you think they could have spent that money on your "important things"?

rules

Ah, the age old battle between smart people and those that drink/smoke :sneaky:

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Just saw a letter from Anchor yeast, they are stopping the sale of Brewers Yeast, not an essential item....

Folk will just switch to normal yeast....

acidrain

Executive Member
Really? What should I be spending my money on?

My opinion, it's not really you, they are concerned about what money is spent on. It's the folk in the townships who will rather spend their grant money / little income on booze than on food and in times where earnings are non-existent for them, hunger will create more costs in food aid.

They will still find ways to get it yes, but at least its not readily available.

FNfal

Executive Member
I live on a main road and have cameras every where .
Some one in the area brewed a serious brew because most people walking by last night were fall down drunk ,
There were small groups of people 3 or 4 in a group properly drunk .
The one group of three had a two litre bottle with most of the contents out the bottle helping one another up the road .
Prohibition does not work people will find a way .

Last edited:

Z1nZan_D4ve

It may be that alcohol aids in terrible things in this world, sedates and for some a saving grace vice among many but to suddenly stop it may bring concerns like issues of medicinal companies prescribing new addictive drugs to handle anxieties, illegal sales breeding worsening morale, withdrawals from the actual permitting of alcohol in the first place etc. The cup half full perhaps is that the cause of our stresses may become more highlighted not only to ourselves but to those who may have people around them that can also notice that there is something in the form of help and humility that needs attendance to! I'm up for different perspectives...