Do you think the number of new daily coronavirus infections are set to rise?

Do you think the number of new daily coronavirus infections is set to rise?

• Yes

Votes: 212 92.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 7.4%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Over the last few days there have been a decline in the number of new coronavirus cases. Do you think this number is set to rise again?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yes. Most of the current cases are middle class to wealthy individuals. It has yet to manifest amongst the poor.

Look at the global rate, its now 73K+ new cases a day. Consider that, and that the pandemic is only at a peak of 860K. Thats about 8.5% of total cases in one day.

Sure the ramped-up testing is maybe skewing those figures but I think we have a looooooong way to go still.

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
of course it is -- this is a rhetorical question at best.

we have nowhere near enough testing happening. once that capacity is beefed up we will see the huge spike

borro

Expert Member
Yup, especially if
CORONAVIRUS testing in the UK has been delayed after kits were found to be contaminated with Covid-19, it's reported.

Key components ordered from overseas for the tests were found to contain traces of the virus earlier this week.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Well, when you have more testing then yes. There is also a backlog still and that doesn't get back dated in stats..

MEIOT

Expert Member
Considering the incubation period where infected are walking around asymptomatic and probably symptomatic too and the total lack of responsibility in heeding the lockdown in many areas - a rise seems inevitable.
I think this period is the calm before the inevitable storm.
Hope I'm wrong - going to be interesting to see how it plays out either way.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Of course. The deaths maybe not so much. But we don't know yet.

HartsockZA

Well to put it plainly, if the young lady that was sick in Khayelitsha was tested and only got her results after a few days (I think it was 6) it's still taking too long to find out and personally think that the government is poping its cherry too early

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Testing regime, while understandable in the circumstances has skewed our statistics. SA does not yet know how bad it really is. We may have bought some time and may indeed have reduced the size of the problem, but we just don't know.
And SA has completely under estimated the difficulty of implementing the social distancing rules in densely populated areas.
Our weather conditions are also very favourable at the moment, wait until winter sets in. We can only hope that the peak is over before the normal flu season starts.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Once it is in the poorer and unfortunate areas it'll be disastrous if not contained properly and the people obey the rules.
The counting is deeply concerning and the testing just as much.

patrick123

Expert Member
A lot have seen this as a holiday, crossed provinces, and gone home.
Hospitals are too far away to get tested, so they are not registered as positive, not to mention that it is now in the distant townships.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
1-2 weeks, and then Winter is coming. In my view, the government should have already mobilised our medical corps. Field hospitals and other temporary hospitals and shelters need to deploy. Prevention isn't cure, but it helps to take precautionary measures at the soonest possible time.

The government is noble to employ 10,000 health care workers to zone areas by engaging in minimal testing, but it isn't enough and great care must be taken with this initiative.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
1-2 weeks, and then Winter is coming. In my view, the government should have already mobilised our medical corps.
What? We deployed our entire army. All 3000 members. Did you miss where they've already called up the reserves?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
What? We deployed our entire army. All 3000 members. Did you miss where they've already called up the reserves?
Those are rotations. The reserves are called in to supplement the rotations. I also didn't know our medical corps are the entire army.