Do you think the strict lockdown prevented a dramatic loss of life in South Africa?

Do you think the strict lockdown prevented a dramatic loss of life in South Africa?

• Yes

Votes: 41 18.6%
  • No

Votes: 179 81.4%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No. Something not yet understood in the environment in which we live in SA and possibly in SSA, has kept the DIRECT death toll low.
The LD tried to control the spread and failed.
The only thing the LD has done is to destroy livelihoods to use the new vernacular.

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
No. Something not yet understood in the environment in which we live in SA and possibly in SSA, has kept the death toll low.
The LD tried to control the spread and failed.
The only thing the LD has done is to destroy livelihoods to use the new vernacular.
I'm not sure what's the difference in the kind of test that is done, but Im hearing a lot of reports of false positives.

axsis

From the virus? No.

Also doesn't seem like any province truly expanded their healthcare measures enough that it wouldn't have become completely overwhelmed easily.

We're also probably in for a shock with regards to deaths caused and related directly to lockdown.

newby_investor

Expert Member
This is something that we'll really never know. In some provinces like WC they seem to have used the opportunity to prepare the health system. This may well have saved some lives.

The EC seems to have bought scooters and not really readied the health systems. Can't say I know much about the other provinces, but I suspect that multiple of them bungled things in which case the lockdown could only have delayed the inevitable for a couple of weeks.

Zophos

Expert Member
I need another options to choose.

* Are you fvcking kidding me?

RVQ

Expert Member
No, it simply served to delay the inevitable, South Africas underlying issues of corruption, unions, poverty, lack of education, failing government institutions meant South Africa was doomed from the start. If anything the result will probably be an increase in loss of life, due to the impact to the economy, in the long run more South Africans will die from malnourishment, suicide, other medical issues due to lack of funding for state hospitals and people losing medical aid with job losses, increased violent crime, violent strikes/protests even riots...

gottagoon

Expert Member
It was a good idea badly implemented by the ANC. The opportunity for theft on a grand scale was chosen ahead of preparing adequate medical care.

Exactly like everything else the ANC does. Always failing at implementing anything. Big fail and now we sit with an effed up economy. For nothing.

Useless thieving scumbags.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Yes, it's pretty obvious that more people would be dead without lockdown. A dramatic prevention of life? Not so sure about that.

As many have said the cost of the world and ZA economy could cost many more lives.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Within what time frame.
Up until around end of May, sure, after that, no, as job losses started kicking in (as in people's savings running out) and crime, protests and starvation have all increased since then.