Do you tip petrol attendants?

Do you tip petrol attendants?

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 289 43.7%

• Total voters

Vimalsardar

I will tip, for the most part, R5 if the attendant offers to do more than just fill the tank. If I have to ask for him/her to check the tyre pressure, check oil & water, wash the windscreen, etc. then the attendant usually does this grudgingly. In a case like this, I will tip R2 or R3. There are some attendants who will perform all the above tasks and more without being asked. This person usually gets more than R5. If it's the festive season, I'll usually tip about R10, maybe more. All of this is dependent on my having cash on me, which I seldom do.

Bigjay84

No tip , don't believe in tipping someone for doing their job .
Do my own tyres and oil

Olddude

If they wash the windows and check the tyres (checked every time) then yes - R10

GoB

Expert Member
I go out of my way to break change and give the rude bastard R10 every single time.

Well it's mostly a rude crowd based on my standards for service personnel.

In smaller towns they're friendly.

KIRESH26

Honestly I do not, I very rarely have cash on hand. Also, they get a salary/wage for doing this job and i am sure that in their contracts it stipulates the duties they are employed for.

lizhay

When I have cash on hand, try to not carry any cash I am too generous and my budget is not that generous.

T1nman

Yes I've worked at a filling station and back then, 7 years ago , if your boss was decent following the law you got around 4.5k a month for a 6 day, 8 hour week. Mostly for the these guys that's rent, transport and the basics to support thier families back home. Tips is what feeds them for the day and makes up for emergency cash: doctors visits, medicines, kids clothes, thier clothes etc. Some of them can afford to drink on the weekend, the single guys, pay for shag etc. Mostly its always a hustle.

Anyways my basic rule is if I'm asking for the full service: petrol, windscreen, tyres, oil and water then I tip R5 per a car. Quick stops for fuel don't get a tip unless the guys really nice or I'm in a good mood. I Should increase it tho I've had it at 5 since seven years go.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
I dont. They get paid to do their job. No one tips me for a job well done.

So you don't tip your waiter either?

I had a reason not to tip my petrol attendant on Friday. I get out of the car to watch refuelling, which she did fine. Before asking if she could pump up the tyres, she pulled out the card machine. I paid without issue but before I could ask her to do my tyres she walked off. No tip for her as I then did it myself.

Flytrap

@Flytrap
Agree mostly.

I have yet to see a blown head gasket on a car that has run out of petrol. Check your levels before leaving. Also always walk around your vehicle before driving off.

I always carry my own 5L water for drinking, topping up washer or radiator (you can use regular clean water in a pinch) or to help a stranded motorist. I also have a tubeless tyre puncture kit, a 12v compressor and a can of tyre fix. For long trips i carry an extra 5L water and a 5L oil. For the windscreen i put 1L of meths in every 3rd time I top up the washer.
Same here. Not a mechanic, just a canny person who likes to help others and avoid my own drama. Water/antifreeze mix for topping, jumper leads (many helped with this), red triangles, tyre fix, tow rope and a multi wheel spanner in the boot. Last roadside assist during just before Christmas when a gentleman with no mechanical bones in his body got a peice of metal through his tyre in a Ford Ranger bakkie on the Main road of our town in a stream of traffic. Nobody stopped and he was right clueless. He managed to pull to the very narrow verge so there's me with my back to the road (and triangles set) struggling with the stupid chrome caps on the nuts and then with the wheel nuts (never removed except at Hi-Q or something). Guy admitted he had never changed a tyre - ever. Didn't even know where the spare was. 30 minutes of brake dust and crawling around and sweating got him sorted. Kudo's to my fellow motorists (surprise, even taxis) driving on that side for paying attention to the warning triangles and slowing and being generally attentive. Not so much to the delivery trucks driven be c*nts who felt that hitting the hooter was their only required response.

Flytrap

So you don't tip your waiter either?

I had a reason not to tip my petrol attendant on Friday. I get out of the car to watch refuelling, which she did fine. Before asking if she could pump up the tyres, she pulled out the card machine. I paid without issue but before I could ask her to do my tyres she walked off. No tip for her as I then did it myself.

Apples and Oranges I'm afraid, speaking as a former waiter. Petrol attendants perform a task you could do yourself (as you have indicated) ... waiters do something you can't do yourself and by all means, don't tip if they do it badly.