Do you use a vehicle tracking and recovery service?

Do you use a vehicle tracking and recovery service?

• Yes

Votes: 45 21.7%
  • Yes - but only at the insistence of my insurance company

Votes: 28 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you use a vehicle tracking and recovery service like Netstar/Cartrack/Tracker? If you do, is it at the insistence of your insurance company or just a personal choice?

For those who do, have you ever used the service to have your vehicle recovered?

S.Claus

Expert Member
Insurance company not that it helps with jammers readily available and who wants a stolen vehicle back anyway ?

powermzii

Expert Member
First one was at the insurances' insistence but since then ive just kept it whether required or not. Works pretty well and the company portal has great info and reporting

Brian_G

Expert Member
I've only got basic insurance and an old car.

Other - we made our own "satellite tracking" stickers and have used them for years as a deterrent.

Neuk_

Expert Member
My son is at boarding school, so the wife does the lifts. It's a 500km round trip on rural roads. Tracker is a must.

Tracker is a must for what? I can track my fiance' without any tracking system, she doesn't even need to be in her car.

Paul Kemp

Yes, only in one car, insurance insisted. Never have had the need to use it and don’t actually want a stolen car back.

basil katakuzinos

Tracking system has saved me once before. Many services are well priced and worth the money.
Have had a good experience using nojack before.

Stonemason

Vehicle tracking is one of the biggest scams in South Africa. Most of the time it is used by insurance companies to track your movements before an accident to see if they can repudiate the claim. Very seldom do the tracking companies manage to find a car that is stolen.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Tracker is a must for what? I can track my fiance' without any tracking system, she doesn't even need to be in her car.
Does it have a panic button that doesn't require you to find your cell phone?
Does it warn you of an accident, harsh braking or swerving?
Can you remotely disable the car?
Does it warn you when someone tampers with the car when you are in the shops?
Does it provide a SARS approved log book for work related travel?
Does it message you when the car passes through certain waypoints without having to open an app and located the car?

The_MAC

Executive Member
Vehicle tracking is one of the biggest scams in South Africa. Most of the time it is used by insurance companies to track your movements before an accident to see if they can repudiate the claim. Very seldom do the tracking companies manage to find a car that is stolen.
Probably, there are always 2 sides.

I have a tracker for my own safety - too many stories of cars being hijacked with occupants still inside etc. I don't care for the car, but for my family inside.

Besides, it's R120pm..

Neuk_

Expert Member
Does it have a panic button that doesn't require you to find your cell phone?
Does it warn you of an accident, harsh braking or swerving?
Can you remotely disable the car?
Does it warn you when someone tampers with the car when you are in the shops?
Does it provide a SARS approved log book for work related travel?
Does it message you when the car passes through certain waypoints without having to open an app and located the car?

That's a little bit more than vehicle tracking and recovery, I am sure you can find phone apps to do most of that but if your tracking unit/service can do all of that and it is what you want, I doubt you'll find better with a phone app.

zulucat

No, I don't have money to waste. My car came with a pre-installed tracker... I can see where it is on my phone.

soulie

I had one that works with a simcard .nice unit .(worked well) untill it racked up R3000 worth of sms s in one month it got stuck in a loop and was sms ing my lte router number that was programmed into it .incase it got stolen .usually it sent one sms a day confirming correct functioning .