Do you use a vehicle tracking and recovery service?

Do you use a vehicle tracking and recovery service?

• Yes

Votes: 45 21.8%
  • Yes - but only at the insistence of my insurance company

Votes: 28 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 129 62.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

eg2505

Honorary Master
same here. Telemarketers get quite happy when I tell my car make, model and year. I think they feel better that they drive a way better car than me. I like to spread joy in such little ways.
doesn't have to be a new car, or even a particularly fancy car,
if you drive a Suzuki Swift or a Honda Jazz, or even a Volvo, what thief would want one of those?

its all about what you drive, you drive a Polo, you better have 10 tracking devices on that thing.
same with a Corolla or a Hilux, or something High risk.

nobody going to touch a Kia.

Senor

Are tracking companies obliged to hand over your information to insurance companies in the event of a claim, don't you have a say in how your personal data is used?

Iwojima

Expert Member
No.
  • I do not want my car back after some criminal elements have had their way with it. I'd rather the insurer pay me out than deal with the aftereffects.
  • Tracking device data is used frequently to deny claims.
  • Tracking devices too often interfere with car's internal electronics.
  • The difference in premium without the tracker is negligible.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Nope, Insurance company tried to get me to do it once but the reduction in my premium they offered me was lower than what it would have cost me to get the tracker so that got laughed off.

I wouldn't want my car back after its been stolen anyway. I have had one car recovered after it was stolen and what they managed to do to it in one day was amazing, it was barely the same vehicle. Half the body panels were changed and the interior was changed.

ZizzyBoy

No.
  • I do not want my car back after some criminal elements have had their way with it. I'd rather the insurer pay me out than deal with the aftereffects.
  • Tracking device data is used frequently to deny claims.
  • Tracking devices too often interfere with car's internal electronics.
  • The difference in premium without the tracker is negligible.
I agree with that

Also they want to tell you how to drive your car - if i got a sports car i dont want someone to tell me you driving to fast or you braked to hard, or you took that corner at Hospital bend at 160 Km when the speed limit is 80

and when something goes wrong then the electronics said you did not drive speed limit etc etc

as well if its stolen keep it - pay me out that is why i got Insurance - if i get it back the trouble of trying to repair parts and then to sell is a pain on its own - Code 2 stolen recovery - not for me

Creag

The Boar's Rock
C-track. It was an insurance requirement. Apart from taking my money over three years, it not a company I recommend. No response to correspondence.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
I did, went from company A-B, but no , terminated the company -B after I found out after I paid for 3 years they never able to track vehicle, and they could not proved it either, never got my money back extremely arrogant ignorant well known company, notified insurance. unlike company A(Stopped liking company A) in the past, company B(on advice) installers told me I have never to test the unit, they does it by themself, I liked that not my problem, but then one day the situation realised and I wanted my money back for a non service installed, they just took my money thats it (2 Vehicles).

Djswopshop

I had a tracker installed through a well known insurance company and eventually had it removed once I moved insurance. My car battery was replaced just before the removal and I was advised that the battery was damaged by the tracking system. The installer showed me the device that was swollen.

As much as these things may help there is information that you may not be made aware of. I would have replaced one car battery after the next if I never knew the tracker battery was an issue. Furthermore the system itself never notified anyone of a battery problem either so if my car was stolen and the tracker died I can guarantee you who would be shrugging their shoulders.

If you have a good insurer you shouldnt have to worry about subsidizing their operation with additional contributions over and above your insurance premium.

ebendl

Expert Member
I had a tracker installed through a well known insurance company and eventually had it removed once I moved insurance. My car battery was replaced just before the removal and I was advised that the battery was damaged by the tracking system. The installer showed me the device that was swollen.

As much as these things may help there is information that you may not be made aware of. I would have replaced one car battery after the next if I never knew the tracker battery was an issue. Furthermore the system itself never notified anyone of a battery problem either so if my car was stolen and the tracker died I can guarantee you who would be shrugging their shoulders.

If you have a good insurer you shouldnt have to worry about subsidizing their operation with additional contributions over and above your insurance premium.

Ooh this is such a common story. My brother had the same problem -- he's had an auto electrician pull out his hair trying to find the stray current pulling the battery empty if the car stands still for a couple of days, only to eventually discover a super old tracker installed somewhere, supposedly deactivated but still pulling current.

Djswopshop

Ooh this is such a common story. My brother had the same problem -- he's had an auto electrician pull out his hair trying to find the stray current pulling the battery empty if the car stands still for a couple of days, only to eventually discover a super old tracker installed somewhere, supposedly deactivated but still pulling current.
And we still pay for it :(

JWVictor

Unfortunately, insurance company's use your tracker data to find a reason not to pay in the event of an incident. They event went as far as looking what places a friend of mine visited prior to his accident to attempt to prove he was under the influence at the time of the accident. They checked what speed he was driving and how his driving behaviour was. If he was over the speed limit they would not have payed and if they find you drive a bit more aggressive than "normal" they increase your premiums.

Djswopshop

So its more to help insurers rather than its clients. Sounds like spying camouflaged as a "value added service"
Unfortunately, insurance company's use your tracker data to find a reason not to pay in the event of an incident. They event went as far as looking what places a friend of mine visited prior to his accident to attempt to prove he was under the influence at the time of the accident. They checked what speed he was driving and how his driving behaviour was. If he was over the speed limit they would not have payed and if they find you drive a bit more aggressive than "normal" they increase your premiums.

Nyt Ryda

nobody going to touch a Kia.

Not buying a Toyota/VW/"high risk" vehicle doesn't make you safe.

BZC5eMb.png

0WzAhg5.png

eJobTdH.png

krycor

Honorary Master
Yes got one as the previous insurer required which had a significant cost saving. New insurer.. no idea but i kept it going.

wrt behavioral analysis.. if you don't like it, get 3rd party insurance or expect your costs to go up significantly. We living in 2021.. CCTV deployments are abundant and will need funding.. guess who wants the data showing you running a red robot or not stopping at the stop sign. Authorities? Nope.. they wnt to charge the drivers.. insurers on the other hand want this as it helps assess your risk and reduce premiums for less riskier drivers.

I have little doubt we headed to a scenario where all main routes are captured by cams and each vehicle will have a cameras & gps combo to track other drivers. i.e. you can drive through red robots but they can't use your footage against you. I reckon this is coming longer term. Major route surveillance is coming though.. hijackers are gonna have to do some more work